Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:45 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times

Advertisements

Last year I moved from the Front range of Colorado to Western Washington. First, both states have two separate areas with different economies and climates. The Front Range of Colorado is very different than the Western Slope, just as Western WA is very different than Eastern WA. You didn't say which interested you, but keep that in mind so that you are really comparing 4 locations. Lots of people have covered most of the main differences, but for me Colorado has become too hot, too dry and too brown. It is brown for 9 or 10 months of the year. It doesn't rain like it used too, it doesn't snow like it used too and it is overall much hotter. Where AC was rare 20 years ago, now it is required. Where it used to be the rare 90 degree days, now you can count on a few 100+ days, and a long stream of 40+ 90 degree days each year. whereas WA is green all year. The rain here is nowhere as bad as the stories i heard. Yes it rains, but rarely is it a down pour that changes your plans.

Besides weather the economies are different too. Seattle is a bigger city with many more companies and much more hiring. The Colorado market is fairly stagnant. Of course it costs more in WA, but the salaries reflect that.

Oh and don't forget the mega forest fires which are becoming the norm, and the beetle kill which will leave the forests dead in 10 years, and in many areas much sooner. Also floods and hail damage seem more common now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:06 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
The Front Range of Colorado is very different than the Western Slope, just as Western WA is very different than Eastern WA. You didn't say which interested you, but keep that in mind so that you are really comparing 4 locations.

whereas WA is green all year. The rain here is nowhere as bad as the stories i heard. Yes it rains, but rarely is it a down pour that changes your plans.
While I agree with your post, I feel the need to point-out that you start-off by saying that WA is like two separate states, but then comment that "WA is green all year". Much of Eastern WA is most certainly NOT green all year, because (thankfully) we don't get nearly the amount of rain that Western WA does.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
While I agree with your post, I feel the need to point-out that you start-off by saying that WA is like two separate states, but then comment that "WA is green all year". Much of Eastern WA is most certainly NOT green all year, because (thankfully) we don't get nearly the amount of rain that Western WA does.
You're right, I should have been clearer.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 PM

268 posts, read 366,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
But I am a bit cautious of the males during fall rut, and of the females during spring calving, seasons. They can be unpredictable then, and I do cross paths with them most every week.
As an aside, thanks for mentioning that. It's not the black bears or unseen cougars you want to be afraid of, it's the Roosevelt Elk. Even if the herd is bolting in fear, that's dangerous too.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:26 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Better too move to Coloardo, Washington is getting way too crowded.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Surprised no one has mentioned that Colorado is mostly at high altitude, 4-5K ft, while Washington is lower. In Colorado you get real mountains, WA has mountains but not as impressive.

As pointed out, you have to look at your own situation to determine tax burden, but WA has no income tax, CO does or at least did when I lived there.

In my experience CO has "wilder" weather - freak snowstorms in April that shut down traffic, hail, etc. But in my experience CO is sunnier, particularly in winter.

First class outdoor recreation in both states.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned that Colorado is mostly at high altitude, 4-5K ft, while Washington is lower. In Colorado you get real mountains, WA has mountains but not as impressive.
Washington has mountains but not as impressive!!??? BS!! The Northern Cascade range is every bit as majestic, high and rugged as the San Juans or any of Colorado's large rugged ranges. And, Washington's mountains are probably more majestic, because they rise high from sea-level, like the Olympics, Mt Rainier, Baker and Adams. In Colorado, you are already at a high elevation and the rise of the mountains are much lower.. In this effect, Colorado's mountains are probably less impressive. Seriously, is there anywhere in Colorado where you can see a 14,500 ft mountain rising out from sea level which is viewable for 100s of miles?? Also, Washington's mountains are surrounded by water and thick forests and greenery.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
...Washington's mountains are surrounded by water and thick forests and greenery.
Yeah... That can be a problem for this Colorado Prairie kid with 30+ yrs in We_tside WA... (Living at crest of Cascade range... lots of 80 mph & freezing rain.)

As my 8 yr old said on a WA hike vs, Colorado hike... "If you cut some of these trees down... you could see something."

All a matter of perspective, and different strokes for different folks (thank goodness).

I will take a bit of both... but WA mtns are OK, certainly not among the best I enjoy, but probably look good pretty to a 'Sounder' who endures traffic all week and enroute to the mtns.

CO vs. WA... kind of a toss up. 'depends'. Maybe you should try each for a few decades . I just booked another CO trip for under $100!!! Can't beat that for a winter sunbreak!. WA was nice to me during my INCOME yrs but is killing me in my early retirement. (Property Taxes and Healthcare alone are < $3000/ month)

Old 01-03-2014, 09:09 PM

There is such a thing of East of the Cascades where there is plenty of vistas and not as many trees.. At least you have some variety.. Lot of the mountains around Wenatchee are brown and open , if that is your thing.

WA mountains are amazing.. And, this is coming from a person who has hiked all through Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Although, I have never been to Colorado, I have done several street views driving through mountain ranges and looked at various pictures. Also, I have talked to many people who tell me the Northern Rockies are much more scenic than the Southern Rockies.

I will have to say that Glacier National Park and the Montana/Alberta Rockies probably rival the Cascades of Washington and British Columbia. But, I don't think Colorado's dry and low-rising mountains can compare with the majesty and diversity you have in the Washington mountain ranges.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
... Although, I have never been to Colorado, ....
nuff said.. (on a CO vs. WA thread...)

I will stick with the rockies in Mtn States and Canada. (If I'm not in South America enjoying those Mountains (as in HIGH and spectacular). Back country WY, ID is one of my favorites for mtns. (with no people on them)

If you are an avid biker (bicycle touring ... as per OP question / comment) .. Colorado and Canada is very tough to beat.

WA mtns are OK if you can escape to your car for a warm and dry ride there and back. But, you will see mostly trees, slugs, moss, ferns, and mud. Very little wildlife or spectacular clouds and stars.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington