Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times

Advertisements

Lol

Honestly, I think this thread should be moved to the General US (City vs. City) forum because not only would it be more appropriate there, but it would give Colorado folks a chance to shine the light on their home state.

I can already "hear" one particular poster basically give RotseCherut a run for his money. He seems knowledgeable about the mountain "prominence" thing and he's also very passionate about Denver/Co-- so you know he's going to throw in reasons why Denver is helluva lot better than Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Lol

Honestly, I think this thread should be moved to the General US (City vs. City) forum because not only would it be more appropriate there, but it would give Colorado folks a chance to shine the light on their home state.

I can already "hear" one particular poster basically give RotseCherut a run for his money. He seems knowledgeable about the mountain "prominence" thing and he's also very passionate about Denver/Co-- so you know he's going to throw in reasons why Denver is helluva lot better than Seattle.
Let me clarify one thing InkPoe, I am in no way loyal to Seattle. ACtually, I don't even like Seattle and probably could agree that Denver is way friendlier and better city all around than Seattle. Although, I haven't been there, just going by what I heard..

However, I am just sharing my opinion about the beauty of Washington state and that I think it is superior to Colorado. ON that note, I don't mind somebody proving me wrong. I can only hope there is more beautiful places in the USA than Washington, so I wouldn't mind losing this debate..

I grew up in Oregon, so if I will be loyal to a state, that would be the one.. Good luck finding anything like the Oregon Coast in Colorado..

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 PM

268 posts, read 366,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
The Cascades are beautiful and Mt. Rainier takes the cake but IMO Colorado's mountain areas are prettier and more varied in general. About a third of the state is worthy of being a national park. Their's are also more accessible, with many mountain towns with full amenities.
You brought up an important point which I had intended to make!

Much of the mountainous areas in Washington are in National Parks. So this discussion about whose mountains are prettier and such, are missing the point that much of the mountainous areas in Washington are inaccessible. I've seen some snazzy cabins in the Cascades, but very few people actually live in the Olympic Mountains. Descendants of settlers in the Hoh Rainforest and Quinault Rainforest who refused to sell to the Federal government do exist, and then there's the Quinault loop, and that's about all that I know of. Keeping in mind that I haven't gotten around to driving that stretch of US-101 between Olympia and the John Wayne Marina outside Sequim, to experience the Olympics you need to hike the Olympics. Hurricane Ridge, the Quinault loop, and the Wynoochee Lake area are the only places that I know of in the Olympics which are accessible to visitors / tourists. (There's plenty of logging roads to explore, but you really need to be in a suitable vehicle and have the correct equipment with you, including but not limited to a chainsaw.) To appreciate Washington's mountains, you really need to hike them. (Particularly Theodore Roosevelt's game preserve, AKA, the Olympic National Park.)

As for the wildlife discussions of Washington and Colorado, well, Washington's elk are much larger and tastier as are the salmon. Roosevelt elk will eat about any thing that grows (except for Sitka spruce), but they really enjoy eating baby trees. I'm more of a tree lover than a meat eater, but Roosevelt elk is almost a delicacy when they're tree fed. (The current photos of them on the Wikipedia page are not representative of Olympic Roosevelt elk. They're much larger.)

As for the hunting discussion, being Washington, hunting is highly bureaucratic, and therefore fouled up. The stories that Steve Knopp could tell about Washington's "Master Hunter" program are best left to him. (He really did "live off the land" in the Olympics for 10 years. The last that I heard, he's surviving in another country.)

And then there's Seattle. I've only flown over Colorado, but I did visit Seattle once. I sometimes watch the Seattle news on TV when I feel like laughing. Washington is nearly dominated and very conflicted by Seattle. Just as Portland is envious of Austin, Seattle is envious of San Francisco. "The police were using real bullets in their guns! They could have hurt someone!" (As a "Day in the Life" type project, I randomly recorded a typical Seattle evening news program to share with a friend in Texas demonstrating the surrealism of Seattle.)

Though the problem seems to be widespread, through observation and online communications, I have discovered that both Washington and Colorado are particularly suffering from Californian emigration.

Last edited by Olympian2; 01-04-2014 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: just grammar

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
he's going to throw in reasons why Denver is helluva lot better than Seattle.
You're under the mistaken impression that Seattle is popular in Washington outside of Seattle. Narcissistic, unrealistic, idealists ("Progressives") really are popular with themselves however.

The good news is that Seattle is landlocked and can only grow up.

Last edited by Olympian2; 01-04-2014 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: defined "Progressives"

Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
You're under the mistaken impression that Seattle is popular in Washington outside of Seattle. Narcissistic, unrealistic, idealists ("Progressives") really are popular with themselves however.

The only one whose under a mistaken impression is you. Reading is fundamental. Please go back and read. (Quite frankly, I lean towards conservative-Libertarian... so, if that's "progressive"... all I can say is: well, isn't that interesting)

I was talking about a particular poster who is very well known to be a Denver/CO super-booster. He's more effective than I can be, especially in all the mountain talk and what Colorado (Denver) offers. There should be no indication of loyalty (other than this poster and his love for all that is Colorado), I was just saying he's definitely going to make the case for Colorado.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 01-04-2014 at 11:25 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
... reasons why Denver is helluva lot better than Seattle.

OMG... I forgot... Denver IS part of CO. Yikes (Don't go THERE)
During my 28 yrs in CO / WY I had to go annually in January to the 'Stock Show' in Denver... YUK!!! Brown Cloud and Brown landscape. (including brown SNOW!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
You're under the mistaken impression that Seattle is popular in Washington ...
OMG... I forgot... Seattle IS part of WA. Yikes (Don't go THERE)

I have had to go to Seattle a couple times during my 30 yrs in WA.. ICK !!! (crowded, smelly, busy, honking...)

I don't think the OP (2006) and latest inquiry (2013) was really interested in Pretty Mtns or Metro area.. Neither are really that much concern for 'relocation' experience / viability. Your decisions may be different, but I would sure hate to be someone interested in Washington State VS Colorado ??? and have to wade through the rants...

Seems WA forum is digressing to OR stature. (THINK Like and promote OREGON or your OUT!, can be similar in CO at the moment) as evidenced by one very helpful poster on this thread who is no more (after challenging an idea on OR forum, circa 2007).

Let's let WA forum allow an open mind

Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM

44 posts, read 111,330 times
Thank you Mr. Rabbit. I enjoy and appreciate your various posts.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,554 times
I've enjoyed reading the responses above & would love to know what decision Simmers made. It's ironic that our family has been contemplating the move between those exact two states: WA & CO. We were in CO for a summer vacation this past year and, as much as we enjoyed it, we still are very interested in WA.

The responses above were very thought provoking and I'd enjoy hearing an update from any of you, especially if you have moved since these postings were made. Thank you!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingTXbehind View Post
... We were in CO for a summer vacation this past year and, as much as we enjoyed it, we still are very interested in WA....
Don't give up your TX place I keep a place in Hill Country to enjoy a few 'sunbreaks'. The 285 days it is miserable in WA it is pretty nice in Hill Country... the 80 days it is miserable in TX, it is wonderful in WA.

I do Colorado on 'shoulder seasons' several times / yr.

So...vacations don't count...

Visit BOTH in January / February

Visit both in April and Oct. (Nov is the worst month in my PNW location (Wet)). Jan - Feb not so wet, but can be cold. March for me (PNW) is WINDY (as is my childhood home in Colorado).

May - July... Mowing fields and lawn 2x / week in PNW (it all dries up and turns brown by Jul 15 (shallow roots).

Colorado is BROWN July 15 - April 15 (unless in the forest or irrigated (with precious little remaining water)). If in a Beetle kill forest (many in Colorado) it is brown 365/yr and for next 40 - 50 yrs. Very sad to see, and VERY dangerous for wildfires. Northern Colorado is pretty hard hit (Grand Lake - Walden).

WA has plenty of water (for the most part).

How old is the 'family'?
Do you need JOBS (or access to such... or can you work from home?)
What are your interests / hobbies?
Do you need access to 'Culture'? (Colleges / arts)
Do you need access to airport (Work or play)?
What is your ideal budget (House and monthly)?

What do you like about Colorado?
(I grew up near Estes Park)
What do you like about WA?

Things are changing FAST, so... you need to look FORWARD. I don't think either state will stay very stagnant, but Colorado is in for some very drastic and painful changes. (Battleground state / water issues... it will fall hard). So sad for the pioneers who created a great state and economy. Most have been chased away from CO a generation ago, and had to go create a livelihood elsewhere.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
The only one whose under a mistaken impression is you. Reading is fundamental. Please go back and read. (Quite frankly, I lean towards conservative-Libertarian... so, if that's "progressive"... all I can say is: well, isn't that interesting)
I did re-read your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe
Lol

If you weren't serious, I guess that the LOL threw me off?

Whatever; the points that I had in mind were two-fold: This topic is titled "Washington State VS Colorado". As someone who once assumed that all of Washington must be like Seattle, it has already been mentioned that is definitely not the case. Anyone desiring to understand Washington should be aware of the distinction.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted me as accusing you of being a "progressive". I do not really understand said creatures, but I heard a rumor that they hang out in Seattle. (I really do not dislike Seattle. I do like using double negatives and poking fun at Seattle however.)

Quote:
I was talking about a particular poster who is very well known to be a Denver/CO super-booster. He's more effective than I can be, especially in all the mountain talk and what Colorado (Denver) offers. There should be no indication of loyalty (other than this poster and his love for all that is Colorado), I was just saying he's definitely going to make the case for Colorado.
I am new to the forum and that I am not familiar with forum regulars, and it seems that I misunderstood you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington