Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 AM

268 posts, read 366,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat38 View Post
Thank you Mr. Rabbit. I enjoy and appreciate your various posts.
I do too. I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice that this topic was started in 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
I did re-read your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Lol

Honestly, I think this thread should be moved to the General US (City vs. City) forum because not only would it be more appropriate there, but it would give Colorado folks a chance to shine the light on their home state.

If you weren't serious, I guess that the LOL threw me off?

Whatever; the points that I had in mind were two-fold: This topic is titled "Washington State VS Colorado". As someone who once assumed that all of Washington must be like Seattle, it has already been mentioned that is definitely not the case. Anyone desiring to understand Washington should be aware of the distinction.

I am new to the forum and that I am not familiar with forum regulars, and it seems that I misunderstood you.
I was racking my head trying to understand your two-fold point. I could not understand, even when I re-read many times my post that you quoted... until I got to the "new to the forum", then it occurred to me that you really must not yet explored City-Data.

The reference to "General US (City vs.City)" is another forum on this website. "City vs. City" is the sub-forum of General US and the purpose of the sub-forum is to compare 2 different areas (hence "city"). You will notice states are also compared in this sub-forum. You can see for yourself: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/ It was never intended as nor was it the goal to muddied the notion that Seattle = Washington = Seattle.

I was saying this thread needs to be moved there so that Colorado folks can defend and prove a certain poster wrong. But as it is, I'm glad one found his way in. Reps to that poster.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM

268 posts, read 366,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I was saying this thread needs to be moved there so that Colorado folks can defend and prove a certain poster wrong. But as it is, I'm glad one found his way in. Reps to that poster.
Yes, now I understand your post and your LOL.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Wow. Some of you guys are getting kinda testy.

"What place is better?" threads always seem to bring that out...

Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Wow. Some of you guys are getting kinda testy.

"What place is better?" threads always seem to bring that out...
As does WINTER - cabin fever / internet SNARK-iness.

And... significantly accentuated interest in each of these states with 420 friendly issues....

There are a lot of 'kids' and antique hippies seeking Nirvana. (I think they will be disappointed in either or BOTH states. IMHO))

Tonight maybe better for many in WA, since it is below ZERO F in Colorado, tho... COLD gives some the the reason to 'light-up'.

Next week it will be 60+ and sunny in CO, that could be a good time for me to escape WA for a spell! (I will wait for Valentine's Day... I like to be in Colorado for that

Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cologuide View Post
You have to be kidding right? I can see making a few generalizations, but if you have never been there, and you believe what you wrote, you are doing a huge disservice to yourself.
Cologuide, I can tell by your name , that you are very enthusiastic about Colorado. We will have to perhaps sit down with a beer, me a nice Oregon brewed one and you one of your COlorado beers, which are almost as good as ours. WE will discuss the issue of which state is truly more grand and bewildering with its scenery, nature and wildlife. Indeed, I am open to rebuttal and happy to hear other people's perspectives and argue their case on the issue.

The only critique in your posts I must make is here, among others quoting my statements about prominence:
Quote:
Like I said, there are around 52 with elevations over 14,000 feet and hundreds at the 12,000, 13,000 range. We call anything at 6000 the foothills. These are just basic book facts.

Where did you get this one? This is so wrong I cant even begin to explain, but it is a subjective definition anyway. BTW, Kansas isn't high.
Maybe you do not understand what I am referring to when I talk about prominence. Prominence is the amount of rise the mountain has from its lowest flat contour surrounding the peak of the mountain. They have actual calculations of topographical prominence and the higher the prominence, the more of a visual of the peak you will have. That is why at 4,000 ft the Oregon Coast mountains look very tall from the ocean whereas in WEst Kansas, at 3,500ft everything looks flat. BTW, You are not correct about Kansas. There is quite a large area of West Kansas which is at a very high elevation. Considering, that Kansas state elevation averages at around 2,000ft, the state is actually quite high in elevation. That doesn't mean there is any mountains or peaks with large prominence.

So, going back to your original statement here, there is in fact, only one mountain in all of Colorado with a prominence of 6,000ft+ and that is Mount Elbert. Even though the other mountains rise to 14,000 ft, the rise is more gradual and is interrupted by other smaller peaks with surrounding plateau. This is why a mountain like Mount Rainier has a 13,212ft prominence. Mount Rainier actually has a peak that rises straight from sea level, without any other mountain peaks and areas of flat contour inhibiting the rise to the peak. That is why you could very easily spot Mt Rainier , whereas you have a much harder time identifying which giant Colorado peak you may be looking at .

This, of course, doesn't make the Colorado mountains bad, it just means the peaks are less pronounced.

For example, Mount Everest is much harder to identify than Mount McKinley in Alaska. Even though Mount Everest is the largest mountain in the world, Mount McKinley has the largest prominence of any mountain in the world and appears the largest, because it has the highest rise of any mountain in the world.

Quote:
Do you realize that the vast majority of Colorado is not on Google Street view lol.
Agreed, but I just randomly drove through remote and scenic drives in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Switzerland, France, New Zealand, etc and compared the scenery I saw. I pinpointed places that were known for scenery, like Glacier NP, Coumbia Gorge, North Cascades Highway, San Juan Mountains, Rocky Mountain NP, etc.. I have been to some of the places I mentioned and know that street view does give a decent visual of the scenery. If anything, street view makes the scenery appear even more spectacular, because you usually have good weather and a panoramic view you wouldn't get while driving.

But, I am sure there are many hidden gems in Colorado and I am open to changing my mind of Colorado. John Denver (one of my favorite singers), wouldn't have written such a song about Colorado, if there wasn't something amazing and mystical about its mountains and beauty.

Quote:
Do you know that the Swiss government has approved an area of Colorado near Ouray as Switzerland of America?
Nope, did't know that.. That's great.. I just looked at some pictures of Ouray and was quite blown away.. As I sad, I always thought of the San Juan Mountain range as being one of the most beautiful in the country. As far as having to take a plane to go on a hiking trip.. No Thanks.. I love bringing my rig with me and driving all around the backroads and trails and camping out. Not really into hostels or rented cars and such that you need when travelling to a far away place for a vacation. One of the advantages of living in Washington and Oregon as all the most beautiful places are no more than a 2-3 hour drive. Yet, plenty is just 30min to 2 hours.. In Colorado, from Denver or COlorado Springs, you have to drive 5 or more hours to get to the best parts of the state.

BTW, you said Eastern Washington is ugly??? Pleaaaaazz!! Eastern Washington has some of the most beautiful places on the Earth.. Have you seen Metaline Falls or Colville or the Okanagan range?? It's very majestic and has a bit more of a Colorado feel to it. Once you get to Northeastern Washington it gets quite foresty and lush due to high snowfall.

Ahhh.. The Switzerland of America... Mount Shuksan, Washington

Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
An example of some Eastern Washington scenery.. Eastern Washington is a hidden gem and people ignorantly malign it so much, because a small portion of Eastern Washington contains a rolling hill region called the Palouse and a deserty, dry area near Tri-Cities and the center part. It is good that people disparage Eastern Washington, because it will keep the side of the state from being invaded and spoiled like the Western part.

Some pictures of Eastern Washington:

Cathedral Peak in the Okanagans

PeeWee Falls in NE Washington

Mount Spokane

I'd hardly call Eastern Washington ugly.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
It is good that people disparage Eastern Washington, because it will keep the side of the state from being invaded and spoiled like the Western part.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As does WINTER - cabin fever / internet SNARK-iness.

And... significantly accentuated interest in each of these states with 420 friendly issues....

There are a lot of 'kids' and antique hippies seeking Nirvana. (I think they will be disappointed in either or BOTH states. IMHO))

Tonight maybe better for many in WA, since it is below ZERO F in Colorado, tho... COLD gives some the the reason to 'light-up'.

Next week it will be 60+ and sunny in CO, that could be a good time for me to escape WA for a spell! (I will wait for Valentine's Day... I like to be in Colorado for that
Stealth, you continue to be an island of sanity in what is otherwise...oh never mind...

Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Stealth, you continue to be an island of sanity ....

Colorado is ON TOP again tonight
"No. 15 Colorado Beats Washington St, 71-70 in OT"

It seems to be a really close battle... Do as I, and claim both (except for WA property taxes and Colorado Income taxes).

Does that mean I can buy a WHOLE Ounce in each state ?? !!!. Aw fugitaboutit, I'll just take a Pound or Two.

I don't plan on "INHALING" anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington