Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 947 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am curious, does anyone here regularly commute between Leavenworth and Monroe? I am wondering how bad this would be as a daily commute? As a backstory, I already am commuting upwards of 80 minutes each way on the West side. We love the Leavenworth area and would love to raise our kids here but it might be challenging to move jobs here. Is the drive over there pass unmanageable most of the winter? I know it's plowed regularly. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience here? Thanks! (PS. I realize it's a long distance, im more curious about the conditions. Thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
I suggest you get the stats from WSDOT on historical # of closings / yr of US 2. (likely less than 10 days / partial days). Lots of commercial vehicles do this run daily, for many years.

Problem = the alternative (I-90?) would be VERY far. (an Unreasonable option)

1) Can you work a few days / week from home?
2) Can you get a PT apartment to share near work? (A spare room / separate living space at the home of seniors who travel a lot is a good option ~$300 - $500 / month, or free if you are house-sitting.)
3) Can you work off shift? (Night shift commute has very low traffic!)
4) You will want an ideal vehicle for commute... I would try to find an AWD Diesel such as x3 or x5 for winter and a diesel car for clear days. (I like my 50mpg and 1250 miles / fill-up + Turbo Diesels LOVE mountains (no altitude sickness such as a Naturally Aspirated gas powered car has))
5) You will need to invest in good all-weather tires...stud-less would be nice but you will need to keep them fresh, (new), 4x studs will save chaining up but is not very PC for long commute.

I grew up on a ranch near Estes Park Colorado, so I understand why you would want to raise your family in Leavenworth (I prefer Cashmere, but even further from Monroe).

My dad worked in another state when I was a kid, it was OK, but on the weekends when he was home we worked like dogs... (farm... horses, barns, fencing, firewood...) I would avoid such burden, and limit the commute hours / week.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 947 times
Thanks for the pointers, I will try to find that data. I hadnt thought about the fact that commercial vehicles do this regularly, that is a good point. A part time place to stay a couple nights a week could be very doable too. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2019, 08:13 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,737,965 times
Stevens Pass (US-2) is a decent route to Eastern Washington especially if you live north of Seattle, (and you mentioned Monroe) and want to get directly to Leavenworth/Wenatchee. (Though there is also a decent alternative...I-90 to Blewett Pass (US97 via SR 970). However, Stevens Pass is higher than Snoqualmie Pass (I-90), Stevens 4,061 feet, Snoqualmie 3,022 feet. Obviously the chances of snow are higher on Stevens. However, Snoqualmie Pass seems to get shut down more often due to the traffic volume trying to get through winter conditions. And one final difference, Stevens is mostly two lane (with passing lanes), while Snoqualmie is a full fledged freeway with a mostly 4X4+ configuration from Seattle to just east of exit 62, near Kachess Lake. Depending on where you are in the Seattle metro, the I-90 can be faster to Leavenworth/Wenatchee. But from Monroe, it is the quickest route, though the tradeoff is 2-lane road for many stretches, and getting behind slow drivers/truckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington