Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
I lived in Tacoma for 28 years...I never heard the term "Tacompton."
You've been away a while. I've been here 10 years, and I've heard it many times.

Quote:
What neighborhood of Tacoma is named Des Moines?
Des Moines is one of the 'burbs between Tacoma and Seattle, up near the airport. You lived in Tacoma 28 years, and you don't know where Des Moines is???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You've been away a while. I've been here 10 years, and I've heard it many times.

Des Moines is one of the 'burbs between Tacoma and Seattle, up near the airport. You lived in Tacoma 28 years, and you don't know where Des Moines is???
I've been gone 8 months.

I know where Des Moines is. What I object to is you making a post about gangs in Tacoma and Everett and then implying that a suburb of either place had "a big gang bust a week or two ago".

Des Moines is much closer to Seattle than either Tacoma or Everett, but your post appeared to be typical of a Seattleite/Eastsider who is in the habit of putting the knock on Tacoma out of habit and was quite disingenuous, IMO.

For the curious, the place with the most serious banging in recent months is White Center, again much closer to Seattle than Tacoma, although there is gang or gang like activity throughout the entire Puget Sound Metro-Plex. I'd also be really concerned about the activity in that part of Lakewood (now, that is close to Tacoma) immediately adjacent to I-5 between the 512 interchange and Tillicum and all along Bridgeport Way.

Tacoma faced a serious threat in years past, but faced it head on, first by admitting it and then trying to do something about it.

Is the problem gone? No, but it's not as bad as it was 20 years ago, and Tacoma is not in denial about it, and continues to work to clean it up.

I'd rather live on the "hill" in Tacoma than in South Central Seattle.

Out of idle curiosity, where do you live?

Last edited by magrack; 07-10-2007 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
I know where Des Moines is. What I object to is you making a post about gangs in Tacoma and Everett and then implying that a suburb of either place had "a big gang bust a week or two ago".
I never claimed Des Moines was in Tacoma. I said (as you do below) that all of the Seattle/Tacoma area and suburbs had a severe gang problem. That is indisputable. White Center is a bad area to be sure, but in terms of crime rate, Everett and Tacoma top the list in Washington state.

Quote:
...your post appeared to be typical of a Seattleite/Eastsider who is in the habit of putting the knock on Tacoma out of habit and was quite disingenuous, IMO.
I pick on Tacoma because I could throw a rock into it from my front yard. I'm in Federal Way. For at least another couple of weeks. I can't get out of here fast enough though.

Quote:
there is gang or gang like activity throughout the entire Puget Sound Metro-Plex. I'd also be really concerned about the activity in that part of Lakewood (now, that is close to Tacoma) immediately adjacent to I-5 between the 512 interchange and Tillicum and all along Bridgeport Way.
Yep. Very true.

Quote:
Tacoma faced a serious threat in years past, but faced it head on, first by admitting it and then trying to do something about it.

Is the problem gone? No, but it's not as bad as it was 20 years ago
Well, I wasn't here 20 years ago, but the gang problem throught the Seattle/Tacoma area is A LOT worse than it was even 5 years ago.

Quote:
Out of idle curiosity, where do you live?
Federal Way. Just up the street from Tacompton.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,356 times
I have been in Tacoma for 10 years now, it's not so bad. I live in the Ruston area which I consider the nicest, and cleanest part of Tacoma. The stadium district is also a really cool part. The city is trying (slowly) to clean up the downtown area, and turn alot of those old buildings into something useful. I still wouldn't call it the worst or the best.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:44 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,867 times
It is all relative and it depends on what stage of life you are in. I've spent a lot of time in San Diego and I wouldn't say its all that fabulous. Tacoma seems to me to be a complex and interesting City that is really in an upswing. If you are the type of person who only looks for brand new houses in the neighborhood that has already reached its peak (you'll pay top dollar for your house) and you'll be happy then Tacoma is probably not for you. If you recognize potential, look at real estate as an investment, do your homework so you don't buy in the ghetto, and and don't mind a beautiful old historic house with tiny closets then maybe Tacoma is the place for you. It is just a difference in personalities. I despise gated communities where all the houses look alike, but then again that's some people's dream.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM

14 posts, read 151,909 times
It is what you make of it...

Growing up (late 80's-mid90's) Tacoma was rough and did have quite an aroma, but in recent years the downtown area has been revitalized and when I do go back to visit, i feel way safer down there now than back in the summer of 93 when I worked as a Janitor (alone) downtown (near the bus station area).

Dupot (south of Tacoma...near Steilacoom) has grown tremendously since my days.... You may want to look there (i'm not sure of the costs), but it's right off of I-5 so it'll make a commuting easy....

Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 PM

9 posts, read 45,513 times
Tacoma smells weird. The air isn't as fresh as you'd expect for being near a body of water.

Some of the older neighborhoods are kind of cute though. There is a lot to do and see there. Cost of living isn't too bad and a lot of the stores and places you might want to visit are conveniently located.

If I had to work in Tacoma, I'd probably commute from some place south of Tacoma - wouldn't live there. If you are going to rent - maybe live in the city for a few months and decide if you like it. You can always move.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 38,408 times
ROFL...I'm thinking that I will LOVE the Pierce County area. I can't wait to move there. I have a very sunny personality, but am tired of all of the "keeping up with the Joneses". I don't think I will like living in Seattle. It sounds to me like I'd just be moving to another San Diego sans the sunshine. I want to thank all of your for the insightful information. I'm having a bit of a problem finding a job though. I'm an experienced Executive Assistant and am willing to even take a Sr. Level Admin position so that I can get the heck outta SD. I'm literally dying folks - can't wait to get some fresh air and at least community events for my kids that aren't high in price. Do you know the average family/community event here costs over $50 for a family of four? That doesn't include your food either. I'm so tired of living in a place where EVERYTHING revolves around finances.

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:31 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2BMe74 View Post
ROFL...I'm thinking that I will LOVE the Pierce County area. I can't wait to move there. I have a very sunny personality, but am tired of all of the "keeping up with the Joneses". I don't think I will like living in Seattle. It sounds to me like I'd just be moving to another San Diego sans the sunshine. I want to thank all of your for the insightful information. I'm having a bit of a problem finding a job though. I'm an experienced Executive Assistant and am willing to even take a Sr. Level Admin position so that I can get the heck outta SD. I'm literally dying folks - can't wait to get some fresh air and at least community events for my kids that aren't high in price. Do you know the average family/community event here costs over $50 for a family of four? That doesn't include your food either. I'm so tired of living in a place where EVERYTHING revolves around finances.

Thanks again!
I can feel your pain. DH and I don't have kids yet, but we're considering the move to WA b/c we are anticipating the high cost of raising kids in LA. Not only is housing more expensive in LA...everything is more expensive. I don't think people from the outside really "get it" unless they've lived here. I want my kids to be able to go to public school (the ones here are pretty bad), be on a soccer team (without me having to sit in 2 hours of traffic to go 15 miles), go outside and play (without worrying about them breathing smog straight up). I want to be able to pay my mortage without both DH and I working full time and giving up 80% of our paychecks to live in 1,400 square feet. !!!! After 2+ weeks of 90 degree+ temps I am looking forward to some gray. = )

Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Default CA to PNW

I've lived in TX, CA, OR, and WA all within the last 10 years and it has been so entertaining listening to the "native" people chatter! When we were in Texas people thought of California as this magical wonderful place... a place of dreams... we moved to California and the locals spoke of selling their homes and moving / retiring to OR or WA... then we moved to OR and then to WA... and in OR and WA all the "natives" are sick and tired of the CA people moving in and mucking the places up so they are relocating to other places - AR or AZ or PA seem to be popular choices if they don't simply stay in their home state but move east "away from the Californians".

(I also think the term "native" is kinda funny... but as soon as I left Texas people have been pointing out that I'm "not a native" even though I am probably more Native American than they are...)

Anyway - this is quite a giggle. What would happen if we all stayed where we are and did our best to make where we are better places? I dunno - all I know is that I want to go back to Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington