Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Colorado to Washington State; looking for information about Anacortes, Bellingham, Mt. Vernon, Oak Harbor, employment opportunities in government, tourism, small business

Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM

25 posts, read 139,285 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering relocating from Colorado to the Skagit or Whatcom Counties area of Washington and would appreciate any thoughts on the area centered on Bellingham. I've visited and really liked the Anacortes area. I've also seen some of the negative comments about Oak Harbor.

Mt. Vernon (at least the western part of the city) was attractive, and I found Ferndale and Bellingham itself nice too. But, my heart is more taken with Anacortes, for a variety of reasons. Most of my recent work has been in local government, but I have a small business and tourism industry background as well.

Thoughts out there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:15 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,886,559 times
Anacortes was in our top three after we'd visited several communities on our list of potential towns when relocating to western WA from central FL. My husband and I were surprised about how much we liked Anacortes and even started looking at houses there on our first visit. It's a great small town with a lot going for it--incredible natural beauty, friendly community, shopping & services, active art scene & the Rockfish Grill! The biggest downside for us was the horrible traffic congestion around Everett when driving to and from Seattle. It didn't seem to matter what time of day or night. We don't have to commute, but that's where other family members live and we go there regularly. The other area we also really liked was Langley (and Coupeville too) on Whidbey Island, but it was a bit too small for our current needs. In the end, for many reasons, we chose Poulsbo--and we love it here! Good luck with your search--hope you find your perfect place!

Lynn

Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 PM

25 posts, read 139,285 times
Default Thoughts on Poulsbo

Thanks, Lynn!

Would you care to share your thoughts about Poulsbo and Coupeville too? I've not visited either, although I've been in the neighborhood (so to speak). A couple I met when I was in WA recently had quite a few good things to say about Poulsbo, particularly when they heard that I'm a sea kayaking enthusiast.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,886,559 times
Coupeville is a charming and picturesque little waterfront town famous for it's Penn Cove mussels. It's home to lots of artists and other creative folks, quaint shops, farms & farmer's markets, has awesome views from Ebey's Landing (and other areas too) and it's close to the Keystone-Port Towsend ferry dock and Fort Casey State Park. People we met in Coupeville were very friendly and welcoming. According to locals, supposedly it's the driest part of Whidbey Island, but I don't have anything factual to back that up. We really liked the town, but Poulsbo was a better fit for us.

Poulsbo is also a picturesque, friendly and charming waterfront town. Although it's larger and has more traffic than Coupeville, it's still a small town (under 8000) which is what we were seeking. We felt more comfortable in a town this size than one as small as Coupeville or Langley, with more shopping, services and medical facilities available here and in nearby Silverdale. We've been doing a lot of work on our house, and I'd hate to think we'd have to take a ferry every time we needed to head back to Home Depot for something we'd forgotten!

A big reason we decided on Poulsbo was because we have extended family in this area and a longtime friend here as well. Also, the town feels like a "real" working town, though there is a tourist element to the quaint historic downtown area. There are lots of kayakers here on Liberty Bay! We live just a couple of blocks from the waterfront and often see kayaks being carried down the street by neighbors heading for the bay. I feel we have the best of all worlds here--a small town with genuinely friendly people, low crime & traffic, surrounded by natural beauty, outdoor activities and plenty of services & shopping. No, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce!

Hope this helps, but as you know nothing beats a visit. Good luck!

Lynn

Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,998 times
I have $30 Thousand dollars, and a monthly income of $700+ for life, retired.
What the heck can I do?
I want to join up with some body or some people to share in the cost of better living conditions. No risk for all, just share some how to save.

I am all done with the rat race, and am a really fun person, and enjoy good healthy activities, and adventure, and dogs, or a dog, mine..lol
I thought of Organic Produce, and maybe wine making, as I do know how to, but I don't drink anymore.lol
I have years of experience in Electrical, and Electronics. I do not want to live near large population zones !

I once saw an old Motel that was for sale but it needed some fixing, and the area had lost the tourist $.. It had like 14 units, and a main house, pool, and lots of old furniture. Needed cleaned out, and roof repair in a few spots. There seems to be a lot of abandoned buildings and Churches, and old Homes, that need TLC. Some place with trees and Water, and good soil.
I think the USA is in for some tough times.. I already have 20 acres I just listed in Arkansas, I have had enough of the heat and ticks down this way, and I have a brother and other family in Washington.
And I use to live in Deer Park.

Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington