Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times

Advertisements

Hell its rained more in Wahkiakum County this month than it does in El Paso all year. I need to plant seedlings in Skamokawa Jan 29-Feb 3.

Are "rain hats". anything special? I never heard of them here. If so what might I look for?

I have somewhat waterproof hiking boots.

Any other suggestions for planting in the rain on steep hills?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 08:05 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Hi, I live in Seattle and thinking of moving to El Paos or Las Cruces region when I take early retirement.

How is the pace of life in EP? I am not a fan of big cities but I like big cities for one aspect. Food choices.

I would just love to live someone warm and dry and not humid. Been to EP once, its an industrial looking city for sure but it checks all my boxes except for the absurd Texas property tax rates.

I only stayed in El Paso for one day though. I had thought of Albuquerque as well but turned off by the crime rates there. Its seems you can usually expect 3 times or maybe double the crime rate in ABQ than in Seattle which is mind numbing.

Its been horrible weather lately. If I never have to live thru a Northwest winter again I would feel like the luckiest person on the planet.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
For really wet, leave the hiking boots home (heavy when staturated and muddy) and use $12 muck Boots (tall rubber).

I would probably wear rubber coverall bib pants (handling muddy transplants). I really like my small squarish shovel, or ever a "sharpshooter" (tile spade) for transplanting. (There is a Rigger's Supply in Longview that likely has the right equipment and tools), as well as in Portland.

Hats I seldom dink with, unless you wear glasses and need a bill to keep rain off lenses. But... It could also be cold so be prepared for that. My son gave me some very heavy cloth rubberized gloves for outdoor farm / work wear. 100% waterproof.

Be prepared to fall occasionally. Slick and steep. Have plenty of plastic buckets for planting gear. Use a rope waist band to tie them on yourself so you can use shovel as a walking stick (or crutch!)

Old 01-24-2020, 08:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For really wet, leave the hiking boots home (heavy when staturated and muddy) and use $12 muck Boots (tall rubber).

I would probably wear rubber coverall bib pants (handling muddy transplants). I really like my small squarish shovel, or ever a "sharpshooter" (tile spade) for transplanting. (There is a Rigger's Supply in Longview that likely has the right equipment and tools), as well as in Portland.

Hats I seldom dink with, unless you wear glasses and need a bill to keep rain off lenses. But... It could also be cold so be prepared for that. My son gave me some very heavy cloth rubberized gloves for outdoor farm / work wear. 100% waterproof.

Be prepared to fall occasionally. Slick and steep. Have plenty of plastic buckets for planting gear. Use a rope waist band to tie them on yourself so you can use shovel as a walking stick (or crutch!)
Absolutely ditto. Obviously from someone who's done it!

OP, you're gonna get muddy, wet, and cold. Just make up your mind that that's what's happening, it'll help you to handle it. And you'll be somewhat pleasantly surprised if it isn't as bad as you think it will be. Also, your clothing should be wool and/or polyester, NO COTTON.

Be sure to bring a towel or two and a dry set of clothing, complete from the skin out. Especially socks. Also, thermoses of hot drinks. And a small camp stove with fuel to warm your hands once in a while, or those small packs of instant hand warmer.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:35 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
87112. El Paso is great except for the 4 months of summer when Western Washington is much nicer. I plan to live in both. El Paso is not that industrial and especially friendly and cheap to live. Its also one of the safest places despite being on the border. Undocumented folks are often the friendliest and most helpful.

Four months of mostly 95-105 degree days however is not for everyone. Its not very green either. If you can -the duel strategy works best but Seattle is expensive.
-------------

The forecast for the 4-5 days there call for showers and highs around 50's -that doesn't sound so extreme.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I do dual residency.

Hill Country Texas; Nov- April;. Christmas lighting festivities, -> Bluebonnet's / fish frys / BBQ fundraisers.

We_t Columbia River Gorge (WA);. June -Sept. Fresh salmon and berries and free concerts in park.

Transition months spent in Colorado, Wyoming, and NM. (Aspen colors, Balloon Fiesta, hot springs, )

With a lot of 'side trips' in between. (To wherever is nice). CA, NV, AZ often. HI when 2 can go for $79. NZ is also nice and Thailand for medical and good food.

Have all homes rented out with Guest homes and shop for me at each Property, and RV spots for traveling friends. Deductible travel between destinations and as allow for doing repairs of active managed RE. Renters are usually single older people who like to help out with watching and performing repairs and doing outdoor chores. They appreciate the quiet and nice views. Staying ~10 yrs. Keep cheap cars near airport at each location., Tho WA home is close we enough to PDX. (20 min)

I have used very talented and helpful undocumented workers to help with lots of tasks, especially when in Las Cruces helping family.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2020 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
The Seattle Sombrero rain hat from REI is very practical for hiking (or planting seedlings) and doubles as a sun hat if that glowing orb should appear in the sky.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Hell its rained more in Wahkiakum County this month than it does in El Paso all year. I need to plant seedlings in Skamokawa Jan 29-Feb 3.

Are "rain hats". anything special? I never heard of them here. If so what might I look for?

I have somewhat waterproof hiking boots.

Any other suggestions for planting in the rain on steep hills?

Thanks
I used to have a yellow Sou'wester hat for the downpour-type rainy days. I also had a full-length raincoat custom made out of goretex, for the 20 minute walk to work in pouring rain, too. I needed it. Those days aren't as rare as people would have you believe.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:53 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
The forecast for the 4-5 days there call for showers and highs around 50's -that doesn't sound so extreme.
Wait, you are not currently in WA but already complaining about the wet weather?

Old 01-25-2020, 12:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Wait, you are not currently in WA but already complaining about the wet weather?
The OP's been living in Skamokawa for a bit now, I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington