Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 09:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,009,364 times

Advertisements

I just re-read my reply,
And I need to apologize for sounding rude.
That wasn’t my intention at all and I am sorry for that.

I also came from an area that was really hot.
Those triple digit heat waves just killed me.
I like it so much better up here.
I think you will as well.
In my opinion the weather here is great.
The people here are quite friendly.

Recently we have also been looking for properties for our kids here.
What seems to be the best option for us is a couple places off the “beaten path”.
It seems like when you are out of town a bit the prices are really better.

So,
both of my kids are ready to buy.
Each can easily pay cash or dump down 75-80 percent on a nice place.
My advice to them is to wait a bit.
I think waiting will reveal some gems of properties at great prices.
I could totally be wrong but “who knows”?

Good luck on your adventure/decision .
All the best.
Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 10:10 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,611,223 times
A house for 280K? Good luck. We moved here from TX (husband a native Washingtonian) and paid $350k for ours. Not extraordinary, on a regular lot.

Cruise Realtor(dot)com and adjust your desired home price......

Old 04-10-2020, 11:12 AM

234 posts, read 497,041 times
I made the same move 25 years ago. I lived in Spokane for a year while finishing up my grad degree, but moved to Seattle the minute my diploma was handed to me. So I prefer the western side of the state for weather, scenery, jobs, etc. Definitely more expensive, but I have found economic opportunities to be better as well. Also, I found out pretty quickly I didn't like living in the snow and ice over in Eastern WA. Will take the rain and drizzle and summers are spectacular.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
I just remembered, the Port of Wilapa Harbor near Raymond, WA has a variety of 5-6 tenants in that industry, and the cost of living there is very low.

Tenants

https://www.zillow.com/raymond-wa/

Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,415,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaz413 View Post
Hey everyone! Looking to relocate from AZ to WA state....been here for over 12 years, kids are graduated and moved on, wife and I need a change of scenery / retire. Tired of the HOA brown walls and 120 degree's. I currently manage a dispensary here in Phoenix, so obviously looking to use my skills up North, but not sure of the best area to move to.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry to tell you this, you have probably already figured it out, but no.one on this forum is going to help you with information about houses, property, buying and moving here. This is a very insular state and no one, once they have theirs, wants anybody else here. Not all of the state forums are this way, but look back through the history of the Washington forum and you will find this is so.

I did not even know about this forum until years after I moved here. All you need to do is just look on the standard real estate websites, and then try to make as many trips to Washington as you can to explore the areas that interest you.

Do not align yourself with one realtor. Try to engage several realtors who don't buddy around with each other. You will be amazed at the difference in results if you do this.

If you want rural, your biggest problem will be tweakers breaking into your car and your house to support their habits. Also, if not within city limits, you may have neighbors who don't give a crap about how their lifestyle effects your particular way of life. This is where you learn to not be a wimp and stand your ground.

Prepare yourself to live like a hermit, you will not have friends unless you can be used.

If you buy a fixer-upper, fix it yourself, it is very hard to find skilled, reliable help that won't shaft you.

It is possible to live in Washington. Just don't expect anyone to help.you, ever, with anything, and you will be OK.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:42 PM

5,316 posts, read 7,604,151 times
$280k is going to seriously limit your options in any of the nicer parts of WA. You could probably find something decent in that price range in the Tri-cities area in eastern WA. But that is probably the most Arizona-like part of the state.

If it were me, I'd move someplace you actually like and then rent. All the travel restrictions are CRUSHING the AirB&B business and there is a lot more rentals now. The current COVID crisis is likely to push prices down. The last crash in 2008 depressed housing prices 30-40% in much of the state and some projections suggest the current one could be even worse. Rent, save your money, can catch the bottom of the market in a year or so.

Of course the same economic conditions that will depress housing prices will depress employment options so be sure you have something lined up. Finding work is going to be a whole different thing in the next 12-24 months compared to the last couple of years.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,628,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I'm sorry to tell you this, you have probably already figured it out, but no.one on this forum is going to help you with information about houses, property, buying and moving here. This is a very insular state and no one, once they have theirs, wants anybody else here. Not all of the state forums are this way, but look back through the history of the Washington forum and you will find this is so.

I did not even know about this forum until years after I moved here. All you need to do is just look on the standard real estate websites, and then try to make as many trips to Washington as you can to explore the areas that interest you.

Do not align yourself with one realtor. Try to engage several realtors who don't buddy around with each other. You will be amazed at the difference in results if you do this.

If you want rural, your biggest problem will be tweakers breaking into your car and your house to support their habits. Also, if not within city limits, you may have neighbors who don't give a crap about how their lifestyle effects your particular way of life. This is where you learn to not be a wimp and stand your ground.

Prepare yourself to live like a hermit, you will not have friends unless you can be used.

If you buy a fixer-upper, fix it yourself, it is very hard to find skilled, reliable help that won't shaft you.

It is possible to live in Washington. Just don't expect anyone to help.you, ever, with anything, and you will be OK.
Including, apparently, you.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:50 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,415,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Including, apparently, you.
I just helped them. I told it like it is. What did YOU do, other than discourage them???

Old 04-12-2020, 10:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,009,364 times
I agree with happygrrrl.
I think happygrrrl did help.
Sometimes good advice is not all “peaches and cream”.

So just to keep in the spirit of helping.
As I earlier mentioned that we are looking for properties.
I found several and they are beautiful.
They will no doubt decrease in value shortly because of our current situation.

I won’t share them because I had to do the leg work.
If I can do it you can too.

But I will offer you this,
If you can dump your place now and get cash.
Maybe you and your family can rent or live with family for a year.

I don’t know.

But if you can sit on cash for a year you will have better options.

That’s all I got for you.

All the best.
Andy

Old 04-12-2020, 11:49 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,098,834 times
OP, listen to happygrrl and MechAndy! They are giving you straight up advise and not blowing smoke. We moved here from AZ four years ago.

Washington has the best summers around and you’ll never miss those triple digit summers. You want a thriving marijuana market, you’ll find that in most areas around the state.

On the down side, your price range is limited but not impossible. I found this on Zillow and it’s a cute house for the money. Smaller towns will give you more bang for the buck.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49387471_zpid/

The thing is, you have to really do your due diligence in scoping out neighborhoods, like happygrrrl mentioned, tweakers can be a problem in both city and country areas. Property crimes are common. Your next door neighbor might have trash piled all over their front yard. It’s extremely hard to find handymen willing to work for a reasonable price. My spouse got so disgusted with the extremely high estimates for repairs and upgrades, we ended up doing most all the work ourselves. Fortunately, we’ve had years of DIY experience, but if you don’t, bring money. Lots of money. Washington is not a cheap state to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington