Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 05:28 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,568 times

Advertisements

What do I need to know?

I will live close by and we do need internet this is in Skamokawa.

People say "Don't" but do not provide reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 05:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
An internet transmitter? Or a cell phone transmitter?

Look up internet transmitters, electro-magnetic fields, and health concerns. You know how they say, you shouldn't live close to electricity transmission lines? There could be similar issues with what's being proposed for your property. Do some research.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:07 PM

268 posts, read 366,775 times
Maybe someone wants to install a WISP tower on the mountain? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirele...rvice_provider

Old 04-20-2020, 06:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Do a lot of research on the person, company, credibility, longevity, access needs (roads, frequency, duration)

Do be advised that getting a signal from a nearby tower may be impossible as signal height may have you in a dead spot at your home (in the 'shadow' of the tower).

Must be line-of-sight + within broadcast 'width' of signal. The closer you are, the narrower the width of signal.

A lot of the private WISP companies are really flaky, and only answer your questions if you are soliciting for service. Once you sign up... their service / response ends, especially during weekends, inclement weather, and emergencies.

Some are legit, and if so you would want to evaluate the cost / benefit / hassle / easement issue (with a legal counsel who represents this specialty) Many WISP in rural NV, UT, AZ...

Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Maybe someone wants to install a WISP tower on the mountain? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirele...rvice_provider
True or a relay tower.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:05 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I know of 2 people that have had this done on their properties in California.
It’s a big deal and a cash cow for them.

The only advice I have to offer is to get a really really good attorney.
Not your cousin “Vinny” .

Most people (and I am included) have great ideas but lack the skills to properly make their plan work.

As an example... most people know that they need to properly invest for their retirement.
The details on when and where I need to trade or invest isn’t really in my skill set so I like most rely on experts in that field.

You might ponder on the idea of cutting in your attorney a percentage to maximize your deal, but I have never been there so there is that.

Good luck to you.
Andy.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:20 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
"Cable" does not extend service to many areas in Washington unless it meets their 10 month ROI guideline. They will pick up a whole development of new homes all crammed together, but won't extend the fiber 1/3rd of a mile down the road to pick up the next 3 homes on acreage. It's super frustrating, especially now with so many people working from home. My GF's mother has to drive to her school right now and sit in the parking lot to use the Wifi to complete her "work from home" teacher responsibilities.
WISP's fill in this gap, and yes hosting a pole (they aren't typically full on towers like cell phone towers) can be very profitable the more people you feed. AND, they will be happy to get it instead of being stuck on expensive, data-capped, slow Satellite Internet/TV packages.
The equipment used is actually quite low in wattage compared to cell phone towers, and operates in the same frequency ranges common with other wireless devices. As such, expansion can be limited by availability of bandwidth and frequencies within it.
I inquired about a nearby WISP tower at my prior place, and was told that the owner wanted $980 to add a dish for me to his tower (I'm sure the WISP got a cut), plus the equipment and install and monthly fee for the WISP.
If the tower is close to your home, you can probably hardwire your service so you don't have issues being in that "too close" dead spot.
Highly recommend an attorney in reviewing or drafting the agreement and go well into the details. No need to "cut him in" though, pay the lawyer fee up front and keep the monthly profits to yourself. Keep in mind, the WISP will need access to the property at any time in case of a failure or maintenance, power(not much), a fence around the pole, and a locker or shed of some sort to house the equipment.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
Yeah I can see not “cutting in some one”.
It is no doubt a different situation in WA than in San Francisco though.
The people I know make thousands of dollars each month just doing this.

I was just thinking Frisco lawyer prices and having one constantly being on retainer for I don’t know maybe 5 %.

No money out of you pocket.
Always knowing if the price is the going rate.
No needing to see if you were taken advantaged of and you always have someone looking out for your best interest.

More or less like having a property manager looking after your rentals.

Any how good luck to you.
Andy.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:38 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Yeah I can see not “cutting in some one”.
It is no doubt a different situation in WA than in San Francisco though.
The people I know make thousands of dollars each month just doing this.

I was just thinking Frisco lawyer prices and having one constantly being on retainer for I don’t know maybe 5 %.

No money out of you pocket.
Always knowing if the price is the going rate.
No needing to see if you were taken advantaged of and you always have someone looking out for your best interest.

More or less like having a property manager looking after your rentals.

Any how good luck to you.
Andy.
Good point, I didn't think of it like that.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:46 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I know of 2 people that have had this done on their properties in California.
It’s a big deal and a cash cow for them.

The only advice I have to offer is to get a really really good attorney.
Not your cousin “Vinny” .
This is extremely valuable advice so please take it to heart, OP. The communications industry has an army of lawyers on their side who will stop at nothing to make sure whatever contract they put in front of you is weighed heavily to their benefit. They also are very cozy with lawmakers and line their pockets in exchange for favorable legislation. It's definitely time to lawyer up!

Last edited by Jowel; 04-21-2020 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington