Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 11:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

You can still drive anywhere you want in the USA, nobody is going to stop you. Hotels/Motels are open but may have you sign an "essential travel" form that nobody will ever see except the janitor at the hotel. In other words, uninforcible, and this is the way it should be. Feel free to roam, friends. But be safe.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-26-2020 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 11:48 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Anything that lets you stay away from people. I think trails in the woods are not a good idea unless you're going there at night, because if someone wants to pass you, there may not be a way to stay 6 feet from them. If possible, bring food and eat in the car, and bring soap, water, and paper towels to wash your hands. Wear a mask if you have to go into a Walgreens, a gas station, or a restaurant.

But assuming you're taking those precautions, the distance doesn't matter. I've been getting restless in the U District too, so I went up to Bellingham last weekend and did some running. Today I went to Lake Steilacoom. When it gets a little warmer, I might even be able to do a trip somewhere over the Cascades, sleep in my car, and use shower wipes instead of showering at a truck stop.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:04 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
We usually go on a lengthy camping trip every spring and fall. The areas we travel to are remote and unpopulated. However, if we stop for fuel or groceries or get in an accident, we may be bringing along that nasty hitchhiker or using medical services that the locals need.

We are staying home to enjoy the lovely PNW weather. The other night we enjoyed fresh asparagus that was melt in your mouth good. The rhodies are blooming and I can see flowers that I normally don’t. This summer, if the restrictions are lifted for the national parks and forests, these places will be a zoo. We plan to stay home until this fall.

Our one home business is thriving; the other not so well. But, staying home to manage the one that is busy is better for our bottom line.

Take short trips where you pack a cooler and use fuel you buy locally. Hike the Olympics and walk the beaches.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:04 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
My wife and I had planned a visit to the Northwest mid May to avoid crowds as usual. However this year we've cancelled the idea for at least another year to see how things might settle down. If not......oh well. Just not willing to compromise our safety. We're older folks so vulnerable to this crud. Hope the flu season is a light one and this all dies down by next Spring.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:26 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
When I lived in Oregon, I went night clamming. Not that many people around where I clammed. Had to be careful to not awaken the giant sand shrimp.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
My wife and I had planned a visit to the Northwest mid May to avoid crowds as usual. However this year we've cancelled the idea for at least another year to see how things might settle down. If not......oh well. Just not willing to compromise our safety. We're older folks so vulnerable to this crud. Hope the flu season is a light one and this all dies down by next Spring.
Come in Aug ! fresh wild berries and steelhead !
Come in Oct. ! great sunsets at the coast

Us 'older people' may not make it to next spring

Actually WA will be one of the 'safer' places to visit. NOW. / soon. (early cases and intent on 'flattening the curve' and considerate of your risk). Many states have NO intent to 'social distance', risk is greater there! More cases (WA) means more testing / actual knowledge and soon to be contact tracking trial runs.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...s-for-each-sta
...So one team of disease modelers — from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation or IHME — has come up with a different standard. They are asking the question: What is the maximum number of new infections that states could handle with their current testing and contact tracing capacity?

IHME's answer: 1 new infection per million people in a given state.
Hawaii and MT are modeled to be safe in one week... Maybe there are some more $69 fares! BTDT, very nice RT for (2) for $138 (I have Companion pass = 100+ free flights for my companion last yr). This yr, not happening, but we get to keep our Companion Status for an extra yr and flight credits until Sept 2022!!! Yeah for SWA... (2) 50# coolers of fresh steelhead of berries can fly home with each of you from WA! Donate you cloths and baggage to Charity and take the fish and berries home! I find WA / PNW products are very good barter material in most destinations.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-27-2020 at 09:56 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 09:53 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Cabin fever here.
And we have been totally isolated for 6 weeks

We are near PA.

I kinda want to do a road trip.
Cry me a river if you don’t like it.

We have masks, and gloves, a full tank of gas that will do over 400 miles and are fully aware.

If we could fish this query would be a no brainer.

What would you do?
So you're not alone! Lucky.
Cabin fever here too, except I'm okay being alone.

I hope people stay in. The recklessness that seems rampant globally means 2-3 weeks could be ugly. Might be life back to normal - but no one is predicting that. That's at least 2-3 years away.

Not local, but cabin fever. Hadda bit of a thing about stocking 2 weeks starting now.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:16 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Cabin fever here.
And we have been totally isolated for 6 weeks

We are near PA.

I kinda want to do a road trip.
Cry me a river if you don’t like it.

We have masks, and gloves, a full tank of gas that will do over 400 miles and are fully aware.

If we could fish this query would be a no brainer.

What would you do?
What I "did" was attend a car show, more like a parade, on Sunday. The purpose was spurious, by (local car club), an excuse to get our hot rods out and motor around a bit. 90 cars showed up. There were hundreds of spectators. We kept clear of one another, it was mostly in the car after all. I wear my little mask, just to be a good citizen. Many do not.

It was small bending of the rules, and maybe two hours of true escapism in my (Shelby GT350R Mustang) in this case.

Can't stop anyone, but a true road trip seems a bit sketchy. Wouldn't do it. That said, what's to stop OP. I think it would be a PITA for OP.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:20 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
I think about all the people that have touched the pump dispensers, card reader buttons, and all that, and cringe. I've been using a plastic bag over my hand and then throw it away when I get gas.
That said, they've lifted the construction shutdown and also are planning to open fishing and recreation.
Andy, you're in a nice hotspot for fishing, time to get out there and try to get a "flattie".

Old 04-29-2020, 05:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I am so so in guys and gals.
Cabin fever is just killing this ADD poster child that I am.
I just want more fun stuff to do.

Done near about as much of “honey do” projects that I can handle.
I still need to chop some fire wood.
Run a few gutter drain lines and then I am caught up.

Just finished doing more garden work today so I am cool with that for a long time.

If they would just lift this fishing/hunting ban I will be in heaven.

Set crab pots.
Fish the streams.
Find birds that are in season.
I am totally good with that.

I just miss my motorcycles and my shop.
Kinda odd huh?
It just seems like I am always using the wrong tool for the job lately and I just hate that.
Might not seem like much but it is for me.
Adjustable wrenches are for morons, same with channel locks.

I also miss my pets.
The son is taking care of our critters down south and I am very thankful for that.

About road trips and shopping trips I am like a safety nut when it comes to leaving our spot.
Gloves, mask, sanitary wipes, all of that, and yet I feel I am not doing enough.
It is hard to at this game.

I think I will download Apple Pay tomorrow because I hate touching the pin pads.
I don’t want to touch anything or even get a receipt for that fact.

At home the wife and daughter turned our loft area above our living room into a work station so I can’t even hang out in our living room.
It is a zero noise area and I am stuck in a back room.
The plus side is that it has a view where I am able to see nice nature views.

So that is all I got.
Andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington