U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 04:18 AM

15 posts, read 7,167 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone , making our way eventually out of Seattle
for work ( Centralia )
trying to decide where to look in either of these counties , strictly leasing an apt , house , etc ..

The potential for winter time flooding has come up frequently in our search of rentals
Whole roadways to I5 become impassable for whatever duration , apparently you get your own lake
right in the backyard ?

+ Not a deal breaker - my spouse wouldnt mind a walkable area , not sure anything other than
Olympia has this ?

Pro's & cons of any of these I5 situated towns appreciated : Centralia Chehalis Tumwater
Olympia Winlock Napavine & others on either side of this main arterial could also be considered

Just spoke with someone from Oakville yesterday, and that flooding probability came up again
They'd mentioned the house was raised up to cancel this out but the garage gets soaked in a flood yr , WoW

Winlock reminds to much of a berg , kind of like an isolated little hamlet feel , but not enough info to
say for sure

Understanding is Centralia is livable , minus the flood stats

Olympia keeps coming back as the place , but maybe not and it is the most cost prohibitive when looking at it that way

Anyone with any fairly recent experiences like to share what they think now that they have made the move ?

Thank you !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 10:34 AM

431 posts, read 367,900 times
Have you looked into Castle Rock? It is south of Centralia, not sure if it further than you want to commute. Also, the small town of Toledo looks like it might be a livable community.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:43 AM

8,585 posts, read 5,369,685 times
I live and work in these areas... Most of those areas you name are in the floodplain of the Chehalis. The Chehalis River Valley is indeed known for flooding. The Chehalis misbehaves relatively frequently and always has... and then, the secondary rivers that flow INTO the Chehalis flood when the Chehalis is flooding. Our own property has a creek that will frequently flood when the Chehalis is flooding.

These all used to be ag lands, hay fields. Much development has happened in what has always been flood plain.

The good news is, the floodplain is known and predictable. It's not hard to figure out where it's likely to flood. You can look up the flood maps for any address and see how close you are, whether your routes will be impacted. Because the other good news is, it's not that far to a hill either.

For the long term, they may build a flood control dam at Pe Ell, that will meter the water during flood events, and that would be a game changer for a lot of Lewis County Real Estate and agriculture... But at this point it's in the study phase with the Corps of Engineers. Too soon to say if it will ever happen. Very controversial.

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home

I'd be happy to talk about any of the small towns, Winlock, Napavine, Toledo, Onalaska, Tenino... all are little old timber towns that have had some hard times with changes in timber market and closure of local mills (we're still cutting trees, but there are fewer sawmills). Many of them are, though, finding new life as bedroom communities for the wider surrounding area.

Centralia/Chehalis is indeed livable, with both old historic areas with small shops where one might like walking downtown, and newer type development like Walmart, Home Depot, and many designer outlets in the outlet mall.

Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater, are larger, medium sized towns. Olympia is the capital and has a large percentage of employment from government. Also a more visible homeless problem than any of the surrounding areas. It is isolated to particular areas, and it can easily be avoided and there are nice areas, but it is visible, particularly from the freeway driving by.

I'm not as familiar with apartment resources as real estate purchases, but I'm happy to answer any other questions you think I might know. I've lived here my whole life, grew up and went to Tumwater High School, now live near the Lewis/Thurston line in Rochester.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:28 PM

Thanks Jane917 for mentioning Toledo & Castle Rock , just so happens those are the exact towns that this person today brought up , he lives by Castle Rock , and also thought Toledo had some appeal

Diana , thank you as regards the flood plain situation + Rochester is another place that has come up recently in conversation

Ideally i'd like a woodstove , dry storage & atleast a nice green space , right now and for the next 12mnths or so we'd take something with just livable space , hard floors ..etc I think Rochester looks ideal for location obviously

We are schooled on big city cons , Capitol Hill( seattle ) is an excellent reminder of that , though we know know after the fact anything east of Broadway is acceptable usually

Friend has a 15acre approx homestead by Matlock on the Peninsula , spring fed pond , house , cabin , barn and more ,
he is sheltering in place he says quite often there , what punishment !!

Old 04-29-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic40's View Post
Thanks Jane917 for mentioning Toledo & Castle Rock , just so happens those are the exact towns that this person today brought up , he lives by Castle Rock , and also thought Toledo had some appeal

Diana , thank you as regards the flood plain situation + Rochester is another place that has come up recently in conversation

Ideally i'd like a woodstove , dry storage & atleast a nice green space , right now and for the next 12mnths or so we'd take something with just livable space , hard floors ..etc I think Rochester looks ideal for location obviously
There's a lot of five acre parcels around South Thurston, with a house and a wood store and a shop and some space. You'll find more homes for rent than apartments out here... it's rural.

Quote:
Friend has a 15acre approx homestead by Matlock on the Peninsula , spring fed pond , house , cabin , barn and more ,
he is sheltering in place he says quite often there , what punishment !!
I'm with your friend. I know Matlock well.

We're hermits here when there ISN'T a lockdown. We have 19 acres, a house and barn, a creek, and a gaggle of livestock and pets.

Today we watched a pair of eagles bring branches to a new nest they're building in the pasture.

Life could be worse than having to spend time here. :-)

Good luck... I'll keep an eye on the thread in case there's anything I can help with.
Attached Thumbnails
Lewis - Thurston WA State Livability-94740026_10216657593094989_7993674031872081920_o.jpg  

Old 04-30-2020, 03:27 PM

Looking at believe it or not , Yelm as a distant choice , we were offered this single level with a loft home
Greenhouse with over grown blackberries is part of it & an orchard of mostly dwarf apple tree's in questionable non pruned shape
Gated and private , but 4o min drive , 80 min in a day , not sure this works in our heads yet
after all , having the seattle traffic " experiment " burned into our conciousnous any wait time suc$'s
Of course that commute is primarily all secondary state roadway's
This virus has everyone locked down mostly into their housing , very limited choices so it looks
if it wasn't for such an excellnt job potential we'd not even have started this conversation yet -

Old 04-30-2020, 03:33 PM

Looking at believe it or not , Yelm as a distant choice , we were offered this single level with a loft home
Greenhouse with over grown blackberries is part of it & an orchard of mostly dwarf apple tree's in questionable non pruned shape
Gated and private , but 4o min drive , 80 min in a day , not sure this works in our heads yet
after all , having the seattle traffic " experiment " burned into our conciousnous any wait time suc$'s
This virus has everyone locked down mostly into their housing , very limited choices so it looks
if it wasn't for such an excellnt job potential we'd not even have started this conversation yet -

Old 04-30-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic40's View Post

The biggest issue with Yelm IS traffic, because Yelm is so far from I-5 it takes a long time to "get" anywhere. The backroads you're looking at are the only way to get in and out, and there has been so much growth in Yelm, they are sometimes bumper to bumper the whole way.

Yelm to Tumwater via 510 to Yelm Highway is often backed up, and constantly under construction.

So.... if you have to commute that way, think twice or get some books on tape, if that's still a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington