Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 11:39 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Notice that they're mapping lava and pyroclastic mud flows together.

Our volcano in the Cascades usually behave very differently than Hawaiian volcanos. Mud flows - particularly down river drainages... Fast and sudden, are much more likely than lava flows like you get there.
Yes, I was noticing that after watching a documentary on Mt. St. Helen's eruption. They showed footage of mud destroying everything in its path moving very fast. So, I wouldn't want to be in those drainage pathways. Unlike Hawaii, this seemed to move so much faster it left very little time to get out.

Derek

Old 05-20-2020, 11:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Right. Mt. St. Helens lava never left the crater and flowed about like peanut butter.

But the Cascades hold a LOT of water in the form of snow and glaciers that suddenly will melt in an eruption.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:56 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
We also lived in CO and decided we didn't want as much snow. The winter snow/cold season is just too long with most lakes frozen, lawns, gardens and hiking trails are brown for too long into spring. Most trails in the Rockies are covered in snow until summer. By contrast, the west side of the Cascades is green year round with only small amounts of snow, if any, by comparison.

I will say that we have friends who live in Wenatchee where we visited this spring. And I find that part of the state very beautiful. Though it does get more snow than the west side, it also experiences spring earlier than CO. Here are a few photos from our trip there at the end of March, beginning of May.

Derek
Thanks MtnSurfer!

I personally love CO and could live here forever.

However, My wife is from Singapore / Bali and my job is in Seattle (although I can work anywhere). We have started to see the advantages of living in WA including many of the points you have listed. I think the convenience of getting to Singapore and Seattle, along with less snow is a win for us.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Thanks MtnSurfer!

I personally love CO and could live here forever.

However, My wife is from Singapore / Bali and my job is in Seattle (although I can work anywhere). We have started to see the advantages of living in WA including many of the points you have listed. I think the convenience of getting to Singapore and Seattle, along with less snow is a win for us.
If you don't mind some snow, I wouldn't personally rule out east side of the Cascades. Please also keep in mind that most folks who participate on here live on the west side. So there may be a bit of bias you're experiencing when asked about the 'other' side of the state.

Just keep an open mind and come out and visit. That's the best advice I can give. Some really do love living east of the Cascades like my friend and his family in Wenatchee. I was very impressed when we visited that general area and even thought about what it might be like to retire there. Maybe not so bad.

Derek

Old 05-20-2020, 04:21 PM

467 posts, read 526,769 times
Quote:
If you don't mind some snow, I wouldn't personally rule out east side of the Cascades. Please also keep in mind that most folks who participate on here live on the west side. So there may be a bit of bias you're experiencing when asked about the 'other' side of the state.

Just keep an open mind and come out and visit. That's the best advice I can give. Some really do love living east of the Cascades like my friend and his family in Wenatchee. I was very impressed when we visited that general area and even thought about what it might be like to retire there. Maybe not so bad.

Derek
I lived in Wenatchee for many years and loved it. If you depend on internet access for your work, you won’t find a better place than Cheran and Grant Counties. The Valley has 4 season recreation, friendly people, moderate climate, gorgeous river and mountains. What you will not find is inexpensive River/lake property.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
I lived in Wenatchee for many years and loved it. If you depend on internet access for your work, you won’t find a better place than Cheran and Grant Counties. The Valley has 4 season recreation, friendly people, moderate climate, gorgeous river and mountains. What you will not find is inexpensive River/lake property.
Thanks for your input, Jane! I was hoping someone with living experiences over there would chime in.

Yeah, I sort of gathered that taking a quick look at real estate in the area. I guess for all of its features, the COL is relatively higher than other parts of eastern WA. Honestly, Wenatchee reminded the most of a 'Bend' type town in WA. It might not be quite as trendy with retirees. Though its close proximity to the mountains coupled with river access and natural beauty is right up there. The only place we didn't have a chance to visit yet while in the area was the Lake Chelan which I hear is also very nice. Though its probably relatively high in price as well.

Are there any nice spots over that way not quite as pricey, perhaps? Waterfront property seems to always be in greatest demand. It's kinda funny that more affordable options seem to exist west of the Cascades when it comes to that kind of thing. Maybe its because there are simply more waterways, smaller rivers, lakes, etc..?

Derek

Old 05-20-2020, 11:46 PM

Ok,

Here are a few more to consider. The biggest problem I see is that you want both waterfront property with a lot of land where you can build a big four car garage. That's not asking for much. lol To gain that last part, you really limit the options down. That said, there are still some properties out there, though they may compromise other features. Question: is the big garage/barn/shed thing an absolute necessity/requirement?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...0641000_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...9617687_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...28694886_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...2187657_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...67046085_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...9618823_zpid/?

Derek

Old 05-21-2020, 04:21 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You are right! It doesn't state manufactured but it sure looks like one.

I notice nobody is recommending the eastern part of the state, is that because it is colder?

I lived on the west side but now live on the east side and here are the pros and cons of the east side of the Cascades versus west side;

Pros:
- Cheaper
- More sun
- Less traffic
Cons:
- Colder in winter and hotter in summer
- More remote to the city
- More wind and dust

Here is one on the east side that might interest you.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-54628?view=qv

Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Yes, I was noticing that after watching a documentary on Mt. St. Helen's eruption. They showed footage of mud destroying everything in its path moving very fast. So, I wouldn't want to be in those drainage pathways. Unlike Hawaii, this seemed to move so much faster it left very little time to get out.

Derek
Much of the HI volcanic activity involves pahoehoe lava. Less violent than what creates a-a lava.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:01 AM

467 posts, read 526,769 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input, Jane! I was hoping someone with living experiences over there would chime in.

Yeah, I sort of gathered that taking a quick look at real estate in the area. I guess for all of its features, the COL is relatively higher than other parts of eastern WA. Honestly, Wenatchee reminded the most of a 'Bend' type town in WA. It might not be quite as trendy with retirees. Though its close proximity to the mountains coupled with river access and natural beauty is right up there. The only place we didn't have a chance to visit yet while in the area was the Lake Chelan which I hear is also very nice. Though its probably relatively high in price as well.

Are there any nice spots over that way not quite as pricey, perhaps? Waterfront property seems to always be in greatest demand. It's kinda funny that more affordable options seem to exist west of the Cascades when it comes to that kind of thing. Maybe its because there are simply more waterways, smaller rivers, lakes, etc..?

Derek
There are many places in central WA that are less pricey than Wenatchee/East Wenatchee. Those places would not be river/lake property. They would probably also not be large pieces of land that the OP is talking about. Yes, Chelan is a nice area, but invaded with tourists from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The rest of the year it is pretty quiet. It has become beautiful wine country, which has improved its year-round economy. I love the areas between Wenatchee and Leavenworth....Cashmere, Peshastin, Dryden, etc. I also love the Plains area west of Leavenworth, but it is pretty remote. Although I personally would not like to live in Moses Lake, Ephrata is a nice small town east of ML if you want to be pretty far out.

Bend is quite different than Wenatchee in size and tourism. Both towns suffer greatly from summer fires all around. I think COL is higher in Bend, but have not checked lately. In the Wenatchee area the PUD owns the parks all along the Columbia River. They are gorgeous (and well lit at night). Walking trails, athletic fields, picnic areas, and now some newer development like hotels, apartments, etc. Lots of good restaurants, breweries, a fairly active theater life, all you would expect in a town that is the business area for about 100K people. Although population of Wenatchee is small (35K?) and East Wenatchee about the same, it is medical and business center for 4 counties.

We moved to Wenatchee in 2002 from Montana, so we considered the winters quite mild. However, a little bit of snow can shut the area down. Ice on the roads is an issue. I worked in the public schools in East Wenatchee and had several days of school closed to snow/ice. 30 years in MT and I NEVER saw school closed expect for volcanic ash (MT St Helens) and one day when the temp was -60. At least we thought it was -60....that was as low as the thermometer could measure. The water department could not provide enough water to flush the toilets, so school closed. What bothered us more than snow (which did not bother us at all) were the smokey summers. Not all were smokey, but several were very bad....and there have been worse summers since we left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington