Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 09:34 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,565,453 times

Advertisements

With all the precipitation we've been getting in June in WWA, I was reading it has been one of the rainiest Junes on record. Combine that with decent snowpack including water levels and this summer seems to be looking better than others when it comes to early fires. While no one can predict the future, at least the short term forecast looks to have more rain mixed with sun over the next few weeks. Here's an interesting read looking at the numbers as of last month. And we've had quite a bit more rain since:

Snowpack, Streamflow and Water Resources This Summer

Does anyone care to hazard a guess if we'll have a smokey summer like we did in 2018?

I would guess no at this stage with some caveats including a similar pattern continuing throughout June before the dry season really comes into full swing during July/August. It seems like every time I look at the longer range forecast it changes. But at least the forests are is good and wet now with lots of snow in the mountains albeit melting fast.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 01:12 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Does anyone care to hazard a guess if we'll have a smokey summer like we did in 2018?
Derek
I'm always up for good news in this regard, but the main question is; what does the picture look like in BC? That's where most of the fire smoke was coming from. Is the interior of BC getting the same rainy weather pattern as western WA? One might assume so, but IMO it's best to assume nothing, and keep an eye on Canada's Pacific weather reports.

Still, it's good to know, that W WA may be damp enough to discourage regional fires there. Thanks for that bit of good news.

Somewhat rainy Junes used to be normal. A long time ago.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm always up for good news in this regard, but the main question is; what does the picture look like in BC? That's where most of the fire smoke was coming from. Is the interior of BC getting the same rainy weather pattern as western WA? One might assume so, but IMO it's best to assume nothing, and keep an eye on Canada's Pacific weather reports.

Still, it's good to know, that W WA may be damp enough to discourage regional fires there. Thanks for that bit of good news.

Somewhat rainy Junes used to be normal. A long time ago.
Interesting to consider BC fire conditions as well. Yes, I recall much of the smoke was coming from their fires.

With most west coast weather patterns, the majority of fronts we get flow down from the north. So, I think they've been getting some decent rain as well. In performing a quick search, I did find one promising map here:

In looking at another, WA and most of OR are looking good so far. However, there are already some problem areas in southern Oregon, NorCal, AZ, UT and NW.

Derek

Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,922,818 times
Forget June....following is worth reading.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/06...re-season.html

Write you Federal elected representatives and the Governor Inslee and Hillary Franz. The public lands in Washington state need to be closed on August 1st and then remain closed until the fall rains.

70% of Washington's wildfire's are started by humans. This year, we need to close the public lands starting on August 1st.

https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outd...s-study-finds/

Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Forget June....following is worth reading.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/06...re-season.html

Write you Federal elected representatives and the Governor Inslee and Hillary Franz. The public lands in Washington state need to be closed on August 1st and then remain closed until the fall rains.

70% of Washington's wildfire's are started by humans. This year, we need to close the public lands starting on August 1st.

https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outd...s-study-finds/
This, absolutely!

Add to the letter, a plea for restoring the budget to the National Park Service and other relevant agencies, so that better fire prevention measures can be taken. Dead trees, of which there are quite a few after years of drought and bark beetle infestation, need to be removed, so as not to serve as fuel for fires. There are probably other preventive measures that have been neglected, too, due to lack of manpower.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Interesting to consider BC fire conditions as well. Yes, I recall much of the smoke was coming from their fires.

With most west coast weather patterns, the majority of fronts we get flow down from the north. So, I think they've been getting some decent rain as well. In performing a quick search, I did find one promising map here:

In looking at another, WA and most of OR are looking good so far. However, there are already some problem areas in southern Oregon, NorCal, AZ, UT and NW.

Derek
Thanks for posting these maps! Looks at northern CA: Mendocino and Trinity Counties have the Humboldt/Del Norte rain forest surrounded! That is one scary map! Oregon's not looking too good, either.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:27 AM

The map changes for August. Here's August 2020's map. Eastern WA and most of OR don't look good:

https://www.nifc.gov/nicc/predictive...h3_outlook.png

Old 06-12-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The map changes for August. Here's August 2020's map. Eastern WA and most of OR don't look good:
Ruth,

Yeah, I saw that. Hopefully the longer range forecast is more speculative. Much of it depends on human activity/stupidity, unfortunately.

I saw the news recently that there is a big wildfire in the Southwest right now. Is that anywhere near you? Are you getting smoke from it?

Firefighters grapple with triple-digit heat against wildfire

Derek

Old 06-13-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Ruth,

Yeah, I saw that. Hopefully the longer range forecast is more speculative. Much of it depends on human activity/stupidity, unfortunately.

I saw the news recently that there is a big wildfire in the Southwest right now. Is that anywhere near you? Are you getting smoke from it?

Firefighters grapple with triple-digit heat against wildfire

Derek
I'm nowhere near there. Didn't even know about it.

These fires are going to be even more of a problem, when drought diminishes the supply of water to fight them with.

That fire risk map site is a great tool for tracking fire risk, for anyone contemplating a relocation. I've been sharing it around. Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2020, 04:29 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,182,178 times
All the rain this late could be good or bad depending on how things go from here on, if it suddenly turns extremely hot and dry seemingly overnight like it has in years past that could mean even more fuel for brush fires in the form of suddenly dry wispy vegetation that has continued to grow later into spring than it usually does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: