Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,591 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Bellingham area within the next year. We have 2 children- age 2 and 5. Can anyone tell me how the schools are? And are there areas of Bellingham to try to be in and areas to avoid in terms of schools or in any other respects?

Also, how would you say the climate in Bellingham compares to say, Humboldt County California in terms of rain and temperatures?

I'm trying to get a feel for Bellingham culturally and climate-wise and having a hard time getting a feel- but a huge concern is school and education for the kids.

Also, how has the change in the real estate market impacted Bellingham, if at all? Would you say it's a seller's market or a buyer's market? Is real estate moving or sitting?

Thanks,
Traci
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 04:34 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Hi, traciann. Please don't be discouraged at a lack of responses right now -- it's Saturday and everyone's out!

Regarding schools, the strong consensus of posters on City-Data is that the following school districts “around” the Seattle area are, in their words, "the best": Bellevue, Bellingham, Issaquah, Redmond, Shoreline and Olympia. So you're right up there with the best.
This is the site for Bellingham's school district so you can see what they say about themselves:
Bellingham Public School District
Seattle Metropolitan, a respected local magazine, conducted an in-depth survey on the schools in the Seattle neighborhoods and nearby cities. Here's the link:
December 2007 edition, Seattle Metropolitan Magazine » Back Issues

About climate, have you checked City-Data's info:
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, and more
On that page, you can click on everywhere you want and compare stats.

In checking resources for real estate, if you see many prices that were lowered recently that will tell you houses are not moving. If not many prices have been lowered recently, then houses are being sold pretty quickly.
The Bellingham Herald: Buy Sell Bellingham, Whatcom County - Classifieds | Bellingham Herald
Also, have you checked
realtor.com?

Cultural, etc. info: Have you used the "Search" button near the top of any page and looked for info about Bellingham? There are quite a lot of posts which should really answer many of your ideas. Scroll down -- in the right corner of each dark blue line you'll find the Forum. Choose the Washington ones.
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=5110398

I hope these are a good start. Happy researching!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:34 PM

362 posts, read 589,154 times
every place has crime but as far as i know bellingham schools are 98% safe and peaceful or 99%

but be it know the sniper malvo walked those halls at bellingham high before he went on the killing spree on east coast with john Mohamed
see site Northwest Citizen

i dont like how they drive here at times too fast and they run reds lights at times

Last edited by E Roy Slade; 05-03-2008 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 PM

362 posts, read 589,154 times
Northwest Citizen

Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
I think Bellingham seems like a great place to raise a family!

Here is a link regarding some of the Bellingham schools. This site also has a feature that allows you to read parent reviews.
Bellingham schools - Bellingham public schools - Bellingham school ratings - Best Bellingham schools

Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 16,850 times
I attended Western Washington University (in Bellingham). I loved living in Bellingham...since then I've been saying that I will get back up there some day. I loved that there are so many different restaurants and neat shops up there. You will especially like living there if you love the outdoors...there are many great places to see/visit. Do you have work lined up? Since it is a college town it is harder at times to find work...but there are many opportunities with the right experience. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:18 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,364 times
Well, when I attended school there in the 1980's they weren't good. And, that is coming from someone who had just moved from GA!! I never had to study while in Bellingham. The teachers seemed to not care, except for one teacher who taught a course in foods at Sehome High (Thank you Mrs. Linda Cowan!!)

The weather can/will bring you down. I grew up both in Berkeley, Callifornia and Warner Robins, GA. Bellingham had beautiful areas but overall everyone seems to pay a mental cost over the long term (lack of sunshine).

Best wishes! Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:50 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Schools are so-so, my wife is a teacher and they really lack resources to teach with. We have new schools being built-with fed funds I'm sure, but then only 1 copy machine and 3 overhead projectors for an entire school. Also, the NCLB(no child left behind program) has left some really nasty and even dangerous students in school without recourse to remove or punish them.
Vitamin D deficiency is very common here.
Student count has dropped considerably and my wife will be back in the ranks of substitutes next year.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traciann9 View Post
Also, how would you say the climate in Bellingham compares to say, Humboldt County California in terms of rain and temperatures?

Also, how has the change in the real estate market impacted Bellingham, if at all? Would you say it's a seller's market or a buyer's market? Is real estate moving or sitting? ...
I live on Lummi Island offshore from Bellingham. I have spent LOTS of time in Humbolt County and one son lived in Eureka for a time.

Bellingham is notably colder and gloomier than Humbolt. Believe it. But a bit warmer for the short summer.

Real estate here may be slightly/semi-leveled off for the moment. But, despite media evaluation of the area being overpriced, don't hold your breath. This place is growing like crazy and is so desirable there's no stopping it from becoming one of the premier counties in the NW. If you don't want to be in the midst of out of control growth — forget about it!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,427 times
Default Wade King Elementary School

Our kids go to Wade King right now and we LOVE it! Newly built school (Fall 2008) and on the track to becoming an International Baccalaureate school (the first in the state). Among other things, the IB program introduces children to a second language in the early years when they can better grasp the accent and basics of the language.

Here is a link to the school

[URL="http://www.bham.wednet.edu/schools/king/Profile.htm"]Wade King Profile[/URL]

Unfortunately WE are in the process of moving and are very sad to leave the school. We are looking into the possibility of being able to petition for them to keep attending there. From what we understand, as long as there is space available and you are willing to drive your kids to school everyday, you can attend the school of your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington