Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 11:17 PM

84 posts, read 55,033 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Seattle since 2004, and while it's been great, I think it's time to get out (or at least I can see that time coming in the next year or two). I could potentially move anywhere, but there's no place I've ever loved more than western Washington, and I have plenty of personal ties keeping me here.

I lived in Bellingham from 1994-2004, and loved it, but it's changed so much since I left, and in ways I don't particularly like, that I'm reluctant to move back. I don't want to move into another city, so Tacoma and Olympia are out (and forget Everett). I'm kind of allergic to suburbs, and refuse to live anywhere with an HOA.

I looked at Port Townsend in 1994, before moving to Bellingham, and loved it, but I couldn't afford it, and didn't have a way to make a living there. Twenty-six years later, both of those problems are solved, and I'm also older (mid-50s) and much better suited to living in a small town than I was in 1994.

I'm self-employed, also an artist, and have a weekly commitment in Lynnwood that I could reasonably commute from PT for. I'm basically a hermit and a cat lady who spends her spare time reading books, making art, rescuing cats, and volunteering in order to keep myself from going totally feral. And when I move to a new place, I adapt myself to it, rather than complain about how different it is--I'm not one of those who wants to remake my new town into the image of the place I just left (because if I left a place? There's good reasons for it).

So: what can you tell me about living in Port Townsend that I wouldn't know unless I lived there? Any dire warnings? Any areas to avoid? Anything that is exorbitantly expensive, compared to elsewhere? Similarly, what do you love about it?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 03:52 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
What ever you do don’t live any where near down wind of that stinking paper mill .

Old 10-31-2020, 09:19 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
What ever you do don’t live any where near down wind of that stinking paper mill .
Yes. Don't choose anywhere around the SE side of town. Also be aware, that no matter how carefully you choose your location, the wind does on relatively rare occasion, shift, and everyone gets nailed with the stench, temporarily. You could look around the Ft. Worden area, the north side of town, and the east side, even just outside the city limits. (Slightly cheaper RE out there.) Depending on affordability, you could try the Uptown area, which has the public library and a popular grocery store, and is uphill from the food co-op, which is very impressive. Uptown has a lot of charming Victorian homes.

You sound like a perfect candidate for Pt. T, OP. You may hear a lot about the local politics from people here. And IDK, a weekly commute to Lynnwood might get old after awhile. There's a bridge to cross to get to the ferry, that gets backed up sometimes. requiring a wait to cross.

I can tell you, that during Seattle heat waves, Pt T stays cool. During the big heat wave/BC smoke event combo a few years ago, Pt T stayed relatively cool. (No 90-degree temps.) It gets ocean breezes up the Strait, as well as Alaska blasts down the Inside Passage. If you like cool weather, it's ideal.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
Ruth makes some really great points..

I also feel that you would fit in nicely up there.

PT is just a short drive from where I’m at.

If I may add one thing... how about you go up there for a trip for a bit and check it out before you make any major decisions?

We are kinda local to the area.
Just over a few hills.

The weekends might not give you a proper view of the area.
It is a bit touristy.
There is also a bit of a different vibe with out the major tourist attractions.

It also might not “stink” during the weekend.

I am wishing you the best.

Andy.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:29 PM

85 posts, read 69,374 times
PT is certainly adorable... and the ferry even comes from a remote-ish place (doesn't bring society to your doorstep).

DEER love to run around the main streets of PT... (for better or... maybe for worse somehow)

Making your move before too much of the rush could prove fortuitous.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:33 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
Move to Forks - it's the coolest (and wettest) destination on the Oly Pen. Hoh Rain Forest is south of Forks some 30 miles south of town. You will truly be in an oakie, quiet place, with the wildlife of the Olympic Peninsula nearby at every turn. Who knows, there could be BigFeet out there, too. And La Push and the Pacific Ocean is only 13 miles west of Forks as well.

I'd venture further west than Sequim.

BONUS!!!!! The Pacific Ocean.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:39 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManFromGlad View Post
PT is certainly adorable... and the ferry even comes from a remote-ish place (doesn't bring society to your doorstep).

DEER love to run around the main streets of PT... (for better or... maybe for worse somehow)

Making your move before too much of the rush could prove fortuitous.
Yes, deer walk around Uptown like they own the place. Fearless.

Starting in early May through September, the weekend festival calendar begins. All manner of festivals: wooden boat show, a film festival, a jazz festival, all kinds of things. Pt T is tourism-oriented.

Pt T also favors locally-owned businesses. It remains to be seen how well, if at all, those survive the Covid shut-down. There's a local dairy with a cheese shop in town, and there are organic farms scattered around outside of town. There's also a branch of Goddard College at Fort Worden, and a concert venue there, as well.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:03 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Port Townsend is certainly a unique town and living in the historical district will cost. Yes there are cheaper areas outside the town. Avoid Cape George, a cult like private area that likes to keep outsiders away.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:08 PM

41 posts, read 15,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Picket Fence View Post
I lived in Bellingham from 1994-2004, and loved it, but it's changed so much since I left, and in ways I don't particularly like, that I'm reluctant to move back.
I'm curious: What about Bellingham do you no longer like? I was their recently and it seems like a really nice city. It's big enough to have all or most city amenities I want, but small enough that it's quiet and nature is easily accessible.

I know it's grown quite a bit in the last 10 years or so, but it's not nearly as crowded as central PS. I the cost of owning property is fairly high, but rents are relatively low (I prefer renting so that's fine with me).

I've heard others complain they don't like Bellingham anymore but it still seems really nice to me. I think I'd rather live there than PT. PT is nice, but a little too small and isolated for me.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:56 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Lots of good Quotes and ideas from the others. Port Townsend is a good choice. Take a vacation to Port Townsend and pretend you are living there and see if will work for you. It will be a lot cheaper to check it out Before committing to move there. Best of luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington