Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 12:08 PM

861 posts, read 1,063,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
True, although the people who live in Langley on South Whidbey don’t seem to be affected or complain about the flight path.
True, and there's a wonderful county park there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 11:48 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Avoid Whidbey Island. The sounds of freedom are all over the place.
Yes, this is the problem. I thought the obvious places to look for total quiet would be the San Juan Islands, and someone suggested the Oly Peninsula. But even the San Juans get noise from the Growler jets from time to time, and Forks and the forest over there, and even the whole Olympic National Park, are used for Growler practice.

I would suggest south of the whole Olympic National Forest and Olympia; maybe around Willapa Bay, and the river feeding into it: Raymond, or South Bend.

So, OP, are you retired, or you work from home? Any needs for good internet service, or anything like that? What's your budget?

Old 12-21-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
True, although the people who live in Langley on South Whidbey don’t seem to be affected or complain about the flight path.
People have been abandoning Whidbey for years, due to the noise. Some residents have taken decibel readings, and tried to report, that the noise exceeds allowable levels, but--to no avail. Still, there seem to be enough people desirous of moving in to make up for whatever exodus there's been, due to the noise. And it does seem to make a difference, where on the island one is located.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:34 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People have been abandoning Whidbey for years, due to the noise. Some residents have taken decibel readings, and tried to report, that the noise exceeds allowable levels, but--to no avail. Still, there seem to be enough people desirous of moving in to make up for whatever exodus there's been, due to the noise. And it does seem to make a difference, where on the island one is located.
I have heard about this noise but never experienced it. Is there a video or something that can give me an idea?

Old 12-21-2020, 05:22 PM

861 posts, read 1,063,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I have heard about this noise but never experienced it. Is there a video or something that can give me an idea?
I've experienced the jet noise, in a variety of situations, including at the end of the OLF Coupeville runway, taking off right over my head(which is a real rush, BTW). It's pretty darn loud there; but only right there. When they're well above ground, it'd not too loud.
But I doubt it's the individual moments of loud that get a few folks riled up. Rather, it's the that fact that it's a permanent situation. They don't want quieter jets. They want all jets off the island. NIMBY

Last edited by wolfdog; 12-21-2020 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
The decibel level is well above that allowed by federal regulations, and is damaging to health and hearing.

Here's a report that gives that info about halfway down the page.
https://sites.evergreen.edu/basewatc...anelynn-fuqua/

Resident measuring decibel level in vicinity of a park where children are playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxYpCa09-E

WA State Att'y General set to file lawsuit against Navy over Growlers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H0l4LuwLlA

Residents of San Juan Islands organize to combat Growler jet noise: article from "Island Sounder" news.

https://www.islandssounder.com/news/...bout-growlers/

Old 12-21-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The decibel level is well above that allowed by federal regulations, and is damaging to health and hearing.
So there is no place in Seattle area (King, Pierce, Snohomish counties) that has similar jet noise?

Old 12-22-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So there is no place in Seattle area (King, Pierce, Snohomish counties) that has similar jet noise?
The Growlers are a new type of jet, producing more noise than their predecessor, the Prowlers. And they don't fly over Seattle. The other thing about the Growler training is, that it flies much lower, than commercial airplanes. And from what I've been told by people who live where they occasionally fly, they cause the ground to shake/vibrate. Even people living near Sea-Tac don't have that type of noise to deal with.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:45 AM

Wow that is interesting. Bad for the people who live near these planes.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:04 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
The Growlers do shake the ground and can be painful on the ears when they are training. They fly over Island County (including Camano), north Sno County near the water, western Skagit County including Anacortes. All of these areas will experience some extreme noise at times. It's worse than the commercial jets in the Sea-Tac flight path but it's not constant. You do get quieter times when they aren't training. It's painful to be hiking at Deception Pass and get your ears blasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington