Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 03:43 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are here on the island right now as I type waiting for the ferry.
The jets are very darn loud.
Such a shame to be honest with you.
The wife and I had business here today and thought what a nice place to have a mini ranch at and then came the jets.
I could just not have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 12:00 AM

861 posts, read 1,061,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
No, this is a thread where an OP is looking for a quiet area. Many people, including me, are pointing out what areas of Island, Sno and Skagit Counties will experience noise from Growler jets. Yes, the noise can be painful when they fly low and shake the ground. You will possibly experience this when you live here long enough if you have good hearing.
As I said before, I've purposely parked at the end of the runway, several times, when they are taking off at maximum thrust. Yes, the ground shook, but it has never been painful. Doesn't sound like you have you been that close to them. For the OP's benefit, maybe you can describe your pain, when they are much higher in the air. I think they'd like to know. So would I.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
The wife and I are here on the island right now as I type waiting for the ferry.
The jets are very darn loud.
Such a shame to be honest with you.
The wife and I had business here today and thought what a nice place to have a mini ranch at and then came the jets.
I could just not have that.
That's fair. It's not a situation everyone could tolerate, for sure.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:12 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I think there is a disconnect on this thread. I was referring to the commercial jets that fly over Vashon as they approach Sea-Tac. I thought they created a lot of noise, but I may be wrong on that as the technology has quieted them. I am referring to the northbound approach that circles to a southbound landing at Sea-Tac.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:41 PM

46 posts, read 60,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, this is the problem. I thought the obvious places to look for total quiet would be the San Juan Islands, and someone suggested the Oly Peninsula. But even the San Juans get noise from the Growler jets from time to time, and Forks and the forest over there, and even the whole Olympic National Park, are used for Growler practice.

I would suggest south of the whole Olympic National Forest and Olympia; maybe around Willapa Bay, and the river feeding into it: Raymond, or South Bend.

So, OP, are you retired, or you work from home? Any needs for good internet service, or anything like that? What's your budget?
I'm semi-retired. No Budget, but I'll only pay resonable prices. I am not looking to buy but rather just to rent since I don't trust that any quiet place I find will be continue to be quiet for long...based on experience and others' reports. I want to be able to relocate with minimal financial loss if it doesn't go well. Maybe if it's a really good deal and easily resellable without much if any of a loss then I'd buy.

Internet isn't a necessity. I would just need to login once a week to check necessities. If a place were to work out I'd look into buying satellite internet. I'm flexible with internet, power, water, and sewer. I can live off-grid and very minimalist. Noise (man -made) is my number one criterion and I'm willing to make sacrifices in terms of other conveniences if necessary.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
I'm semi-retired. No Budget, but I'll only pay resonable prices. I am not looking to buy but rather just to rent since I don't trust that any quiet place I find will be continue to be quiet for long...based on experience and others' reports. I want to be able to relocate with minimal financial loss if it doesn't go well. Maybe if it's a really good deal and easily resellable without much if any of a loss then I'd buy.

Internet isn't a necessity. I would just need to login once a week to check necessities. If a place were to work out I'd look into buying satellite internet. I'm flexible with internet, power, water, and sewer. I can live off-grid and very minimalist. Noise (man -made) is my number one criterion and I'm willing to make sacrifices in terms of other conveniences if necessary.
OK, well, rents are among the most affordable in the entire state, in Raymond and South Bend, but it's best to try to locate on higher ground in the area, because the river can overflow on relatively rare occasion. If you don't mind rain, you might like the area: quiet, small towns north of the Columbia River, on the Willapa River. Scenic. There's a large wildlife refuge in the area.

Raymond has a few museums, an art gallery, a movie theater, parks, a kayaking company, fwiw. Crime is 50% below national average (all forms of crime). South Bend's crime is 97-100% below the national average, lol.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-25-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 11:07 AM

268 posts, read 366,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, this is the problem. I thought the obvious places to look for total quiet would be the San Juan Islands, and someone suggested the Oly Peninsula. But even the San Juans get noise from the Growler jets from time to time, and Forks and the forest over there, and even the whole Olympic National Park, are used for Growler practice.
Your information about the Growlers flying over the Olympic National Park and Wilderness and Colonel Bob Wilderness is accurate. The noise is intermittent, but ruins the concept of a Wilderness, especially when the pilots break Mach 1 over my house (accidentally I'm sure).

Old 12-31-2020, 08:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Your information about the Growlers flying over the Olympic National Park and Wilderness and Colonel Bob Wilderness is accurate. The noise is intermittent, but ruins the concept of a Wilderness, especially when the pilots break Mach 1 over my house (accidentally I'm sure).
Haha. Sounds like the frequency of those "accidents" is suspicious. Isn't it illegal to break the sound barrier?

Thanks for your input, though.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
When they break Mach1, why no sonic booms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington