Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 07:53 PM

467 posts, read 520,255 times

Advertisements

I agree with others on the remoteness of Walla Walla. Years ago we visited because it was on my son’s short list of college possibilities. We were living in MT at the time, so believe me when I say it was remote. We approached from the east, and the long windy road going south from a Spokane convinced me we would never see our son for 4 years. When you are a college student with no car, easy access to an airport is important. He ultimately chose Lewis and Clark in Portland, which was a good choice for him. Since then I have I visited WW to tour wineries, and from that perspective loved it. However, it would not be a choice for me to move to. We lived in Wenatchee many years, and still miss the ease of living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 07:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,744,272 times
Again it is not really remote. I guess one could argue a 300k metro (Tri-Cities) 45 minutes away would still make Walla Walla remote, but that is not my definition of remote. If you need an even bigger example, Spokane is about two hours away.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:10 PM

5,291 posts, read 7,585,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Again it is not really remote. I guess one could argue a 300k metro (Tri-Cities) 45 minutes away would still make Walla Walla remote, but that is not my definition of remote. If you need an even bigger example, Spokane is about two hours away.
Two hours is a LONG LONG ways away on remote empty 2-lane roads in the middle of an Eastern Washington blizzard. It is a LOT different from driving 2 hours on I-5 between say... Portland and Eugene.

And 45 min will not get you to anywhere you want to actually go in the Tri Cities. At best it will get you to the very eastern edge of Pasco. It will be at least an hour to drive into Kennewick or Richland and farther still to the nicer parts of those cities.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Two hours is a LONG LONG ways away on remote empty 2-lane roads in the middle of an Eastern Washington blizzard. It is a LOT different from driving 2 hours on I-5 between say... Portland and Eugene.

And 45 min will not get you to anywhere you want to actually go in the Tri Cities. At best it will get you to the very eastern edge of Pasco. It will be at least an hour to drive into Kennewick or Richland and farther still to the nicer parts of those cities.
Fair enough, but I still don’t think it is particularly isolated. My drive times were not reflecting winter weather conditions which really are only about 5 percent of the time during a normal SE Washington winter. Perhaps I may drive a bit faster but downtown Walla Walla to Pasco airport can indeed be done in 45 minutes.

I will admit my WW to Spokane drive time was incorrect. The correct drive time is 2 hours 40 minutes.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-10-2021 at 09:30 PM..

Old 01-10-2021, 09:26 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,059,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Fair enough, but I still don’t think it is particularly isolated. My drive times were not reflecting winter weather conditions which really are only about 5 percent of the time during a normal SE Washington winter. Perhaps I may drive a bit faster but downtown Walla Walla to Pasco airport can indeed be done in 45 minutes.
Interesting. I consider places like Lake Stevens and Black Diamond isolated, let alone Walla Walla.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 PM

It is all relative. 45 miles in the Seattle area is quite different from 45 miles in rural Eastern Washington.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:15 PM

36 posts, read 32,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Wow! I think you could find something similar to WW much closer to Pittsburgh! I lived in WW, although that was back in the early 80's and visited family there until I moved away two years ago. WW is a nice, smallish college town. Lots of wineries there now. Summers are SUPER HOT, although not humid. Pioneer Park is a jewel. WW is definitely isolated. The Tri-cities is not all that exciting. It is, as others mentioned, about a 4 hour drive to Seattle or Portland. I understand that one gets tired of crowded cities, but having moved to a semi-rural area here in Ohio, after living 20 years in Bellingham/Seattle, let me warn you, that small towns/nature get old fast. Nice places to visit, but not for permanent relocation. Of course, this is just my opinion. However, I think you would miss being in/near a city with lots to do without driving an hour or more. My advice would be take a nice, sunny vacation during the winter and/or look for a nice college town in PA or nearby. Just my opinion.

Yeah, it isn't the size so much as wanting to live somewhere nearby more mountainous outdoor activities that is also affordable and has some charm. PA has outdoorsy stuff, but it's a poor man's version of alot of what Western states have to offer. I've lived most of my life in PA and MI, and would like to see something different.

I would actually be OK with a place like Tacoma or Bellingham... I kind of like the coastal gloom, but my wife is dead set against it, especially after being dragged to Pittsburgh

But I get what you're saying about rural life, too. I've always been in cities, so I feel like it would take some getting used to.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:33 PM

17,626 posts, read 13,443,990 times
Just wanted to throw in the fact that Walla Walla University is just outside of Walla Walla. Seventh Day Adventist University that would provide some activities along with Whitman for locals. And as far as that goes WSU and the University of Idaho are just up the road and they always have things going on.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:14 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,671,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyberpass View Post

But I get what you're saying about rural life, too. I've always been in cities, so I feel like it would take some getting used to.
Rural/small town areas of Washington have a distinct culture, and people tend to be more reserved than they are back east. Some love it, some can't leave fast enough. If you're used to cities, a jump to a small town nearer a large city might be more satisfying vs. that far out in rural eastern Washington. If you have the time, taking a year to rent and try it out would be a good solution.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:03 PM

36 posts, read 32,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Rural/small town areas of Washington have a distinct culture, and people tend to be more reserved than they are back east. Some love it, some can't leave fast enough. If you're used to cities, a jump to a small town nearer a large city might be more satisfying vs. that far out in rural eastern Washington. If you have the time, taking a year to rent and try it out would be a good solution.
Yeah. One of the things we dislike about Pittsburgh is how insular it can feel. As an outsider, it can be harder to make friends here, and it kind of sounds like it would be the same situation there.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington