Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 12:27 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'd love to see more of the old diners we used to have here in Washington, the chain eatery food is OK but those ladies who learned to cook on the farms and logging camps made some wonderful dishes we don't see anymore. Of course the high price of real estate almost guarantees the expanding dominance of overpriced upscale chain restaurants. I've also noted the shrinking numbers of those who CAN cook from scratch, and a rise in the numbers of people who can't cook at all. And that might explain the lack of discerning palates among the populace.

I'm not familiar with the old diners in WA state but I so agree with you on independent places that cook from scratch... and I do mean FROM SCRATCH... no commercially made sauces, frozen foods, short-cuts containing chemicals and highly processed mystery ingredients, etc thrown together... and using fresh ingredients, bought from local businesses and producers.

I also remember little places that grew their own herbs and some even their own veggies... when I was a kid, we stopped at an interstate truck stop... I remember this place because it was the very best hamburger (besides my own homemade LOL) I've ever eaten... I remember they grew their own tomatoes and made their own pickles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 03:34 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Nice modern apartments in Seattle for under $1000
Can't even get that in Eastern Washington anymore, you could several years ago but those days are now long gone.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:58 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
It's a new time now. A New World Order Time. Pappy Bush let it out in 1988. Anything you thought was real and... innocent, is now gone.

I hate to be a harbinger of bad news, but...put your head between your knees and kiss your a&- goodbye.

Watch Naomi Wolfe's video. If you need me to attach it to a follow-on post to this thread, please let me know. I'm not known for hiding important truths from people. I would way rather help people. These times are not normal. I'll leave it at that.

For now.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:56 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,942 times
In Spokane, what free pelican said, only organic. I have found zero organic restaurants in Spokane.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:35 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Summer rain would be great. I’ve been comparing temperature and air quality with Florida. Temps are about the same and certain areas of Florida have better air quality, since it’s the smoky time of year. Florida also gets lots of summer rain. All these years, I thought Washington was the best for pleasant summers. Things have changed though.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:23 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Summer rain would be great. I’ve been comparing temperature and air quality with Florida. Temps are about the same and certain areas of Florida have better air quality, since it’s the smoky time of year. Florida also gets lots of summer rain. All these years, I thought Washington was the best for pleasant summers. Things have changed though.
Summers have changed a lot and sadly not for the better, I wonder why there has to be so much wildfires and smoke in Washington State anymore, I now live in Central Texas, oddly we've gotten a lot more rain this summer than what Eastern Washington has gotten, I miss the way Washington State used to be up until the early 2010's.

I was never aware that Florida gets a lot of summer rain, if all summers in Washington State would be similar to 2019 or prior to 2015 I would be a happy man.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Summers have changed a lot and sadly not for the better, I wonder why there has to be so much wildfires and smoke in Washington State anymore, I now live in Central Texas, oddly we've gotten a lot more rain this summer than what Eastern Washington has gotten, I miss the way Washington State used to be up until the early 2010's.

I was never aware that Florida gets a lot of summer rain, if all summers in Washington State would be similar to 2019 or prior to 2015 I would be a happy man.
Everyone says it’s climate change, but whatever the reason, all these fires make the air quality a misery. Not so long ago, I’d grin at the rest of the country struggling under high temps, while enjoying pleasant, 70 degree summer days. Now, fires from several states bring lingering smoke, and with asthma, my lungs know about bad air, long before I do.

After considering Florida as a possible move, I started comparing the ten day weather forecast with some Florida areas, temps are about the same, except Washington is hotter next week. Florida is usually ahead in air quality and they have frequent showers. The rain greens everything up, including pastures and the horses would love that. Growing up back east, I miss those night time thunderstorms and how fresh and clean the air is next morning. The hot temps and smoky air are tiresome and take away the enjoyment of summer. People who’ve been here for years, mention needing sweaters in the past for the 4th, or how it used to rain more. After eight or nine months of rain, summers are the payoff, or they used to be.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:17 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times
Quote:

Extremely high humidity in FL. High temps extend much longer into the night and earlier in the morning. Many.... by orders of magnitude... more biting bugs. Not the same at all, even of the high temps are similar, which I doubt will last.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:04 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Everyone says it’s climate change, but whatever the reason, all these fires make the air quality a misery. Not so long ago, I’d grin at the rest of the country struggling under high temps, while enjoying pleasant, 70 degree summer days. Now, fires from several states bring lingering smoke, and with asthma, my lungs know about bad air, long before I do.

After considering Florida as a possible move, I started comparing the ten day weather forecast with some Florida areas, temps are about the same, except Washington is hotter next week. Florida is usually ahead in air quality and they have frequent showers. The rain greens everything up, including pastures and the horses would love that. Growing up back east, I miss those night time thunderstorms and how fresh and clean the air is next morning. The hot temps and smoky air are tiresome and take away the enjoyment of summer. People who’ve been here for years, mention needing sweaters in the past for the 4th, or how it used to rain more. After eight or nine months of rain, summers are the payoff, or they used to be.
Rain in the Summer is normal in FL. The saying about how long it will last is 5 minutes or 5 miles.

I have several family members living in FL and I used to own land there. Been there many times and in all seasons.

Bugs in most of FL are a non issue except in So FL. It is like comparing El Paso TX with all of the State which is silly. Same with FL as the South is different than other parts of FL. OR is not the same in all areas either.

I would pick Central East coast in FL over OR and then North East coast after that. Mind you OR has many beautiful places, but FL just has more to do and warm water for swimming almost year round and not far by driving from a lot of other States and mountains, the Gulf, Islands, all sorts of things and no desert anywhere..

I have had family in all 3 States and now just TX and FL as the OR members said they have had enough and moved. Oh, to FL.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Rain in the Summer is normal in FL. The saying about how long it will last is 5 minutes or 5 miles.

I have several family members living in FL and I used to own land there. Been there many times and in all seasons.

Bugs in most of FL are a non issue except in So FL. It is like comparing El Paso TX with all of the State which is silly. Same with FL as the South is different than other parts of FL. OR is not the same in all areas either.

I would pick Central East coast in FL over OR and then North East coast after that. Mind you OR has many beautiful places, but FL just has more to do and warm water for swimming almost year round and not far by driving from a lot of other States and mountains, the Gulf, Islands, all sorts of things and no desert anywhere..

I have had family in all 3 States and now just TX and FL as the OR members said they have had enough and moved. Oh, to FL.
Ok, bugs aren’t fun, but there are dozens of things to help with that problem. No state has a perfect climate, and Florida winters are very nice compared to the rain and gloom of Washington and having it get dark by 4pm. After waiting months for a nice summer, this year May and June were ok, July was bad, now it’s August and the end of next week, temps will be around 100.

I was in Florida in June, it was bearable and the cool breeze helped. Washington has long, gloomy winters with a couple months of nice weather, Florida has fall, winter and spring with nice weather and two or three months of very hot weather. Between the two states, Florida definitely wins with the most nice days in a year.

Agree about S. Florida, much too hot. OR is a beautiful state, but has its share of problems. Hope your relatives picked a good spot to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington