Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:24 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,673,166 times

Advertisements

How about we first look at some actual figures that show an exodus rather than guessing from the relative state ranking given by a single truck rental company.

The housing market is still pretty hot, which suggests demand is still high even with the massive building projects going up everywhere, which would mean there isn't a surplus caused by people leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 02:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Looking at the actual U-haul data, it looks almost random. Half of the states are 20 places different from the previous year except for the bottom ten or so. It's a weird year anyway, the data is almost meaningless, so not surprising that the same article has been plastered over every conservative rag to try to score political points. It's the only reason it was posted here.

I've said it before, but you can't blame the state when you rent out a $2 million property for a tenth of the rental value. Either your numbers are wrong or someone has no idea what the market rate is.
I use the best property management in South Sound...

It would be different if this was a 2 million property...

Purchase price happened to be at the assessed value when I bought... one year later the assessment went up 80%. Property had been on MLS better part of a year.

No where in South Sound did a single family residential appreciate 80% in 14 months.

The home is dated from the 70's but in a lovely setting with the surrounding land wetland restricted... this home is in the middle of restricted wetland but not when built.

The previous owners spent 9 of 11 years appealing their assessment and grew weary of it... they moved to Newport Oregon.

Washington voter approved I-747 addressed this but later tossed out by a King county judge and here we are.

What should a 1970's 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath home with 2 car garage rent for

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-22-2021 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 02:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Here is some real data on the "exodus" from Seattle.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:00 PM

206 posts, read 186,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

[/indent]If these are progressives moving, I hope they've learned their lesson and won't be exporting their destructive policies elsewhere.

Because Conservative policies of deregulation and the free market have worked so well in Texas?

Old 02-22-2021, 03:09 PM

133 posts, read 107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Because Conservative policies of deregulation and the free market have worked so well in Texas?
Yes they have. A once in a century storm event doesn't negate their overall policy. In fact I'd say the mistake they made was not having more baseload power in the form of nuclear energy. However it's not conservatives who have historically fought nuclear energy.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:00 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Are you really going to compare a weather event that hasn’t had anything similar to compare it to since the 1800s to a rampant epidemic that you can see and live with/around 24/7/365? K den.

In a few weeks Texas will be back to normal and this storm will be pictures in a Wikipedia article and leftist talking points, whereas the tweakers and homeless drifting around seattle and tents littering all of I-90 and I-5 will be there, as they have been for so long.

And the bums asleep in front of the ABC Stores on Kuhio are not like the violent junkies that have taken over caring, progressive, compassionate Seattle...

Old 02-22-2021, 04:52 PM

Flight from urban centers will lower prices unless rent control incentives motivate owners to hold out.

When prices drop it may draw those that previously were priced out.

A few things may be harder to overcome...

I’m not a Wall Street person but talk of a new exchange fees or taxes could motivate searching for alternatives...

Old 02-22-2021, 04:58 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
I believe the exodus is real, but that doesn't mean we aren't being replaced by more implants as the area seems to keep growing. My families FB friends page is proof of the trend though. We were looking at all of our friends locations that used to live here. Now in:

Arizona (3)
North Carolina (2)
Georgia
Wyoming
Oregon (2)
Idaho
Montana
New Mexico
Texas
2 did stay in the state and moved to Vancouver, WA and Spokane, WA.

The cost of housing is just too high, and property taxes (WA also has ~10% sales tax in many areas) now exceed other states income tax + property tax + sales tax burdens and then some. For example I was researching "total tax burden" by state, and there are many where even if I took a 25% pay cut I'd have a far lower tax burden and far more disposable income.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:50 PM

The demise of I-747 unleashed individual property tax increases...

To be fair I did have some relief when the market crashed but short lived.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:35 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I believe the exodus is real, but that doesn't mean we aren't being replaced by more implants as the area seems to keep growing. My families FB friends page is proof of the trend though. We were looking at all of our friends locations that used to live here. Now in:

Arizona (3)
North Carolina (2)
Georgia
Wyoming
Oregon (2)
Idaho
Montana
New Mexico
Texas
2 did stay in the state and moved to Vancouver, WA and Spokane, WA.
Interesting data.

I live in Southern California. Friends who've moved out over the past 10 years went to:

Arizona
Florida (2)
Nevada
Texas (2)
Wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington