Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 12:06 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times

Advertisements

The report: https://www.ritzvillejournal.com/sto...ate/22546.html

... For years, leaders in state government have been increasing the tax burden and imposing ever-tighter regulations that limit personal opportunity, lower household incomes and fall hardest on working people, middle-class families and small business owners. On top of that statewide trend, Washington recently experienced deadly political violence in its largest city, accompanied by rising crime, public camping and drug use, and similar signs of widespread lawlessness.

The latest annual report from U-Haul on some 2 million, one-way household moves in 2020 shows Washington dropping precipitously from the coveted number five spot as most desired place to live all the way down to number 36. That position of unpopularity is not as bad as California’s, at number 50. But it is a long way from top-ranked Tennessee, Texas and Florida as the most-sought destinations for one-way U-Haul movers.

... Still, to fall 31 places in one year is no compliment and reflects the fact that, in a year that was tough on everyone, people in Washington had it tougher than most. The governor’s coronavirus executive orders, issued in March, remain firmly in place, with little sign of wider economic opening, easing of social restrictions or a return to normal public school operations (although most private schools have managed to open and operate under social-distancing restrictions).

The result is an economic and emotional strain that feels worse every passing week. While other states and even whole countries are progressively opening their economies with health guidelines, Washington, California and others remain in a limited lockdown. ...

If these are progressives moving, I hope they've learned their lesson and won't be exporting their destructive policies elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 12:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Thanks for the update. Washington is a beautiful state to live in, but it has issues, homeless, crime, drugs. I don’t understand the continuing ban on dine in for restaurants, yesterday a favorite Asian restaurant still only offers takeout. This is bound to be hurting local business, although many previously closed shops are now open. Other states are open for business.

Falling down that much in a year is troubling, especially since we’re planning to sell later this year. Olympia has gone downhill with lots more homeless camps, who knows when that will bottom out. I’m hoping that Seattle, the tech industry, plus the beautiful scenery will continue to lure others here. Washington could be a top destination, it has a lot to offer.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:11 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Anecdotally, with the change this year for many to permanent working from home... I know several people who are fleeing the relative high prices here for lower cost of living places.

I haven't seen prices go down yet though. I would predict the biggest change from that effect would be in the mid to upper range homes, not so much in the starter range... just because of the kinds of jobs that can work remotely.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
I sent an email to a local realtor with twenty years in the industry to get more prospective on this. He says so far, the housing market is strong and this area has a lower cost of living compared to places like San Francisco and New York. That’s a good point, although it’s obvious with the current trend, housing prices will drop. How much and when, maybe later this year.

Washington has been hard hit with Covid and I hope for the sake of business owners, Governor Inslee will reconsider all the restrictions. The rain has always been a minus for some people, and U-Haul rentals are hard to get during the rainy season. Add problems like homeless camps, riots and crime and Washington might drop even further down the list.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:57 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,719 times
Inslee seems to have no regard at all for the working class. It seems like every few weeks I personally hear someone who lost their job or I see another business closing. The "phase 1" and "phase 2" restrictions are completely anti-commerce and anti-free market. I think young people are the most bothered by it because I increasingly see more and more of them violating the covid policies, not wearing masks in stores. This is the world they're inheriting. I would like to buy a home if the prices go down and the dollar still has value in the process of correcting the housing market when the bubble payments come due. I noticed the interest on my savings cut in half from december to january, so savers are being punished. Unfortunately in WA you have to save like crazy to afford anything half-good.

There's no more rule of law in Seattle, so why should people stay? According to the great reset and agenda 21 we're all useless eaters, so need to be squashed out of existence. We pollute the earth by the mere act of breathing and releasing co2. Any policies built on the belief of cow farts being a threat is going to destroy whichever government is cowardly enough to implement it. I like Washington but never seen so many cowards as since I moved here.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
U-Haul is by no means a very accurate representation of out-migration, as it is very 'class' / income specific. I know a lot of people who rent 'one-way, outbound U-Hauls for other reasons than moving, and while I drive a lot of rental trucks out of WA, I refuse to drive a U-Haul. Last person I moved used (4) trucks, none were U-Haul. (Thank goodness)

Of course as you drill down to economic level of people using U-Haul, it is probable that many leaving WA as a residence are being Displaced due to Californication of property values in the 12 (OTHER) western states who don't have Prop 13, as CA does. The 'High Fliers' are not using U-Haul...

We were displaced from CO in 1970's due to Californication of housing values, and will be displaced from WA as well. But there will be no U-Haul vehicles involved. Fortunately I have my own semi-trucks as I will require many semi loads. (Moving a farm). U-Haul does not offer 'real' trucks. Most households of significance will not fit in (2) U-Hauls.

It would stand to reason that a more typical U_Haul user (apartment dweller / very small starter home...) would have reasons to leave WA (Leaving WA beats living under a bridge or on a park bench)

Old 02-21-2021, 12:46 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Uhaul may be an indicator but population numbers are the best indicator. So far, we are not seeing significant numbers leaving Seattle, or the State. I would expect some outflow from Seattle however in the next round of numbers, though the State will continue to grow overall.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:46 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
U-Haul is by no means a very accurate representation of out-migration, as it is very 'class' / income specific. I know a lot of people who rent 'one-way, outbound U-Hauls for other reasons than moving, and while I drive a lot of rental trucks out of WA, I refuse to drive a U-Haul. Last person I moved used (4) trucks, none were U-Haul. (Thank goodness)

Of course as you drill down to economic level of people using U-Haul, it is probable that many leaving WA as a residence are being Displaced due to Californication of property values in the 12 (OTHER) western states who don't have Prop 13, as CA does. The 'High Fliers' are not using U-Haul...

We were displaced from CO in 1970's due to Californication of housing values, and will be displaced from WA as well. But there will be no U-Haul vehicles involved. Fortunately I have my own semi-trucks as I will require many semi loads. (Moving a farm). U-Haul does not offer 'real' trucks. Most households of significance will not fit in (2) U-Hauls.

It would stand to reason that a more typical U_Haul user (apartment dweller / very small starter home...) would have reasons to leave WA (Leaving WA beats living under a bridge or on a park bench)
Very few people are moving their whole farm though. I've used u-haul several times, almost every time, because they're simply the cheapest and have many (probably the most) locations. I rented a 12' trailer to move all my stuff with a long bed pickup truck across the US, at a cost of under $500.

The largest u-hauls could fit a 3 bedroom house if packed efficiently.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:17 AM

146 posts, read 154,264 times
Although it does represent only a certain subset of customers it is still statistically valid if consistent and is a data point to pay attention to. I think it’s a general outflow from dense population areas for Covid distance or ability to work remotely. Some friends of ours just sold a house in Gig Harbor that after 6 days had nearly 15 offers and 3 of them were 100k over asking and the listing was over half a million to begin with.

It is certainly a beautiful state with what I would consider great weather compared to many. I feel horrible for our businesses as Inslees “following the science” takes a different turn every week that they have to jump through hoops and follow.

If “following the science” is so great, why does California have much stricter rules and a younger population than Florida with similar case rates and more deaths? Plus look how many people are vacationing and going to Florida because it’s open....no one going to California. Can science explain that one to me?

How are all the people in other states with no mask requirements still alive? Where is the science on that?

Where is one study showing front line workers have have been more at risk while everyone else stayed home? They have seemed just fine this entire time....odd.

Inslee and others have tried to make it “if you don’t follow my decree you are wrong because I follow science”....similar to “if you don’t agree with me you must be racist/homophobic/etc.

People are fed up with a dictator and his ever changing decrees. Dems wanted to tank the economy so they could win the election, and notice all the dem governors that went along with it now patiently waiting for the local and state bailouts from the next relief package (money still not spent from first two). Inslee and other dem governors have sold their citizens down the drain so they can win an election...think about that. That is why people are leaving in part.

It’s funny how much certain groups claim to care about even one life....as long as it aligns with their political agenda. Ask them about all the lives lost on things they don’t agree with and you will get nothing....Covid is nothing more than an opportunity for them. Remember when Boeing employees were “safe” to return before everyone else? Remember when union Construction could go back to work before any private contractors? Look back and be honest with yourselves and think and you will find the answers to why people are leaving.

Seattle has more grocery stores closing, more businesses leaving, and they just keep smugly saying how many voters agree with them. I will not go to Seattle or my family until it’s cleaned up. I won’t take any visitors we have to Seattle, tell them they are on their own if they really want to go and smell urine and feces and risk assaults.

Overall I still think the pros of the geography and weather for now outweigh the cons, but as Inslee and Seattle rush to copy the policies leading to the current demise of California one wonders how long will it last? As a law abiding, tax paying citizen I feel I am last in line in this state for anything. They are catering to criminals, homeless, and others that don’t add anything to society by taking away more of my money.

Old 02-21-2021, 11:45 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
The latest annual report from U-Haul on some 2 million, one-way household moves in 2020 shows Washington dropping precipitously from the coveted number five spot [Are you serious?] as most desired place to live all the way down to number 36.That position of unpopularity is not as bad as California’s, at number 50. But it is a long way from top-ranked Tennessee, Texas and Florida as the most-sought destinations for one-way U-Haul movers.
And this makes you unhappy? I'm jumping for joy. People are moving away? Great! This state is too crowded. I hope the pace picks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
... Still, to fall 31 places in one year is no compliment and reflects the fact that, in a year that was tough on everyone, people in Washington had it tougher than most. The governor’s coronavirus executive orders, issued in March, remain firmly in place, with little sign of wider economic opening, easing of social restrictions or a return to normal public school operations (although most private schools have managed to open and operate under social-distancing restrictions).
Nah. People are moving because real estate prices are so high, which was mostly caused by the people that poured in here over the last 15 years from their low wage/high unemployment Rust Belt states. They liked our high minimum wage and our social safety net, but their huge numbers created this housing mess, so now it's on to the next Nirvana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Washington has been hard hit with Covid ...
No, that would be the Dakotas. North Dakota has the most cases of any state at 130,210 cases per million and SD is next at 125,659. Washington has one of the lowest case counts in the US at 44,237 cases per million. We also have one of the lowest death per million counts.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington