Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 01:44 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

Advertisements

Chet Holmgren is going to give the Zags an Abdul Jabbar-like edge ta go along with all the rest of their diverse talent. Even if he's giving contributions like the Sonic's 7'4" Center Tommy Burleson, it's going to give Gonzaga a huge pick-me-up to their overall game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 04:01 AM

Gonzaga reloads with talent every year because Mark Few flat-out rocks as a Head Coach. I eagerly look forward to another great year. Maybe the ref's will actually call fouls in the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Final, too.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:23 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Chet Holmgren is going to give the Zags an Abdul Jabbar-like edge ta go along with all the rest of their diverse talent. Even if he's giving contributions like the Sonic's 7'4" Center Tommy Burleson, it's going to give Gonzaga a huge pick-me-up to their overall game.
I remember watching Burleson play, but you never knew when he would show up mentally and play. Some games he played great other times he looked lost.

I remember going to the Sonics games at that time and watching the Sonic win the NBA championship with players like Jack Sikman, and Gus Williams, Paul Silas and both Johnson's, Denis and Johnny, downtown Freddie Brown coming off the bench.
They were the best team that Seattle ever had.

Later the Sonic last year in Seattle was probably the best player they ever drafted was Kevin Durant.

Before that was the great Spencer Haywood who moved from the ABA to the NBA Sonics where he averaged about 25 points a game before he moved on to the Knicks.
Denis Johnson moved on the Celtics where helped Boston to dominate and win a lot of NBA championships.
In my opinion Lenny Wilkens destroyed the Sonics by breaking up a great team actually put together by none other then Bill Russell and Seattle never recovered to really challenged again.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:00 PM

I don't remember why Dennis Johnson left, for more money in Boston or what? That would be my guess. Why do you think Lenny Wilkens destroyed the team? Their 1979 team was great because they were unselfish, pushed da ball and passed the ball around like a hot potato, until just the right person took the shot for a zippy-swish. Often that was Downtown Freddy Brown. What a team, though.

42 years ago, now. Their defense was strong, suffocating to an offense.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:29 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I don't remember why Dennis Johnson left, for more money in Boston or what? That would be my guess. Why do you think Lenny Wilkens destroyed the team? Their 1979 team was great because they were unselfish, pushed da ball and passed the ball around like a hot potato, until just the right person took the shot for a zippy-swish. Often that was Downtown Freddy Brown. What a team, though.
42 years ago, now. Their defense was strong, suffocating to an offense.
Wilkens was in charge when most of the great Sonic players departed mostly the very next year. Not keeping the 1979 team together mounted to destroying it.
Johnny Johnson greatest contribution to the team was his great passing talent.
Actually Denis Johnson was traded to the Suns for Paul Westphal who traded him to the Celtics in 1983.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington