Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 02:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Planning to move out of Seattle in about 6 months and I’ve narrowed my list to the Olympia area and Bremerton/PO/Silverdale areas. I will continue to work out of Tukwila where I have to be in the office at most twice a week (rare) and at least once every two weeks. I’d previously considered Tacoma but I don’t think it’s going to be a good fit.

I know the commute into Tukwila is going to be grueling from both areas but given the infrequency of it I’m willing to do it.

Coming from PO or Bremerton, does it make more sense to take the Southworth-Fauntleroy Ferry or Bremerton-Seattle? I’ve heard mixed things about both. Fauntleroy puts me much closer to work but a further drive from western PO. Bremerton is closer to PO but a further drive from Seattle to Tukwila.

Which area is preferable? What I like about S Kitsap is the partial ferry commute, access to OP parks, small town atmosphere. However, seems like it lacks a lot of amenities (not necessarily a bad thing) outside of Silverdale.

I probably wouldn’t be near downtown Olympia, rather outside or somewhere like Lacey or Tumwater. I’ve done that drive to Seattle and it sucks, but besides that any negatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 03:08 PM

343 posts, read 352,994 times
If you chose Port Orchard, (or Gig Harbor) you could just drive around on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Could cost less overall then Ferry rides. Plus you could have an easy jump to Tacoma for amenities. I live in Bremerton now and the people I work with around here always recommend Gig Harbor.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:37 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I'd say, take the option that has you doing more driving on the west side of the Sound, and less through the Seattle area, since that will be by far the most congested part. So--Fontleroy would be best. Or the bridge, as voyce said, above.

Or...consider a movie to West Seattle, if you can afford it. The neighborhoods around Lincoln Park and the ferry are nice... And the farther south you go, the lower the RE prices... You can luck into some real gems home-wise and price-wise, backing onto some of the parkland on the east side of W Seattle...

Old 10-01-2020, 04:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd say, take the option that has you doing more driving on the west side of the Sound, and less through the Seattle area, since that will be by far the most congested part. So--Fontleroy would be best. Or the bridge, as voyce said, above.

Or...consider a movie to West Seattle, if you can afford it. The neighborhoods around Lincoln Park and the ferry are nice... And the farther south you go, the lower the RE prices... You can luck into some real gems home-wise and price-wise, backing onto some of the parkland on the east side of W Seattle...
I've been watching condo prices in W. Seattle, they are dropping and I think will continue to do so. Haven't been watching single family homes though.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I've been watching condo prices in W. Seattle, they are dropping and I think will continue to do so. Haven't been watching single family homes though.
Check out the housing co-op / intentional communities in West Seattle as another option (LT rental or purchase)
I have looked at several nice (but practical) homes in these communities. None were age restricted. (Families, singles / seniors)

But for West sound, I like area near Manchester State Park. (East of Port Orchard)

Old 10-02-2020, 07:17 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Check out the housing co-op / intentional communities in West Seattle as another option (LT rental or purchase)
I have looked at several nice (but practical) homes in these communities. None were age restricted. (Families, singles / seniors)

But for West sound, I like area near Manchester State Park. (East of Port Orchard)
Manchester has the ferry that goes from Manchester to Vashon to West Seattle. Would be a very practical commute.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:13 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Planning to move out of Seattle in about 6 months and I’ve narrowed my list to the Olympia area and Bremerton/PO/Silverdale areas. I will continue to work out of Tukwila where I have to be in the office at most twice a week (rare) and at least once every two weeks. I’d previously considered Tacoma but I don’t think it’s going to be a good fit.

I know the commute into Tukwila is going to be grueling from both areas but given the infrequency of it I’m willing to do it.

Coming from PO or Bremerton, does it make more sense to take the Southworth-Fauntleroy Ferry or Bremerton-Seattle? I’ve heard mixed things about both. Fauntleroy puts me much closer to work but a further drive from western PO. Bremerton is closer to PO but a further drive from Seattle to Tukwila.

Which area is preferable? What I like about S Kitsap is the partial ferry commute, access to OP parks, small town atmosphere. However, seems like it lacks a lot of amenities (not necessarily a bad thing) outside of Silverdale.

I probably wouldn’t be near downtown Olympia, rather outside or somewhere like Lacey or Tumwater. I’ve done that drive to Seattle and it sucks, but besides that any negatives?
Hi Bluefox, I’ve had a couple of clients move to Port Orchard, they seem to like it a lot. Yeah, just easiest to take the Port Orchard-Vashon-West Seattle Ferry. You’ld always have the option to drive around as well. I also love the historic neighborhoods and community vibe of Olympia. That commute from Olympia to Tukwila can be pretty easy if you are flexible about when you go in. An underappreciated part of Olympia is the easy drive to the Pacific Ocean.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:48 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Port Orchard is nice if you want a smaller town fairly close to the "big city," Bremerton. I was last there on a sunny day, so that helps with my impression of it, but the Kitsap Peninsula is gorgeous. You're closer to those sparkling gems, the Olympic Mountains. If you're thinking of living over on the "mainland", and you can live in Port Orchard, forget that, live in Port Orchard.

If you need something in the way of a store and Port Orchard doesn't have it, drive the 20 minutes north to Bremerton and you've got it. I just remember a nice, small-town vibe while driving through that town. Doubt it's changed much.

But I've been wrong before. No - just kidding.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:06 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I just took a look at RE prices there--yikes! Little 2-br. homes with some basement bonus space, that in early 2019 were going for $$375K to around $430K are now well over $600K! So much for W Seattle, as a source of bargains!

Old 10-04-2020, 08:12 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Hey, West Seattle is nice. I hear they're having trouble with the West Seattle Bridge, though. Still true? But that view of downtown from West Seattle is so beautiful. Seattle is the prettiest city in the world, it really is.

I'm not surprised that West Seattle real estate bargains are gone, however. It's so close to Boom Town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington