Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 09:06 PM

134 posts, read 192,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
If you broke even at $140k I’m not sure how you could afford more than a mobile home here. BTW some are really cute. There is one for sale nearby that I would buy in a heartbeat except it’s a one bedroom and in a 55+ community
That's why we're going to wait on purchasing ANYTHING for a few years, at least. We are getting rid of debt and saving. At least with my job we are basically location-independent with the exception of the need of being within about an hour of a decently-sized airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 05:34 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
People are sheep and most flock to the same place. SW Washington is tranquil, especially scenic and not near as expensive as the other areas mentioned.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
To the op’s question, likely no. The trend to work from home is likely to continue. I am not sure after COVID goes away this changes. Perhaps some will go back to their offices, but some won’t. This will slow office construction in big cities and perhaps bring a recession or worse to the economy. Many are predicting a bad recession in ‘22. These things are predictable so get prepared.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-28-2021 at 07:56 PM..

Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
That's useful for other people but I should have clarified in my original post that I do not want to be anywhere near the city center. In fact, if I were to buy in Seattle, it would most likely need to be in the northwest portion of the city and I'm looking at places north of Seattle, probably close to the sound itself, although the railroad situation and the plane situation has put a damper on that.
Escalating prices, especially in desirable areas, can cause sellers to delay selling in hope of even higher prices, while buyers desperate to buy bid prices even higher. With WFH during the Pandemic becoming a permanent trend, such workers seeking to buy are sopping up available supply outside the Seattle metro - Aberdeen-Hoquiam is one of the hottest real estate markets in the country.

If new to the area, you might look at renting for a year.

What do you mean by "the railroad situation and the plane situation"?

Old 09-07-2021, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,593 times
I am late to posting but IMO it is about supply and demand. Where we now live, people who wanted to move and live here and being able to work remotely have done so. Homes here that were being bid on and selling in hours after being listed are no more. Several in the hood have been for sale for weeks with no offers. I expect it could end up being the same as time goes by. I have been searching around Mount Vernon, Whidbey etc. and there are quite a few homes on the market that are empty plus some showing price reductions. Some significant. I am going to wait and see. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:18 AM

808 posts, read 541,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
That's useful for other people but I should have clarified in my original post that I do not want to be anywhere near the city center. In fact, if I were to buy in Seattle, it would most likely need to be in the northwest portion of the city and I'm looking at places north of Seattle, probably close to the sound itself, although the railroad situation and the plane situation has put a damper on that.
Be sure to go north of Seattle, not to North Seattle.
The city leaders are moving the criminals, homeless and skid row denizens to north Seattle. This is a permanent change that will last for decades. If you go north of Seattle, like to Kenmore, Montlake Terrace, Shoreline, Innis Arden or further north, then that would be OK.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:49 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
What do you mean by "the railroad situation and the plane situation"?

The railroad runs right along the sound, affecting every park/access on the sound along the way, plus interfering with the towns themselves in terms of major noise pollution, traffic issues, ferry issues, emergency services not being able to get to people, viewshed degradation, and potential disaster if one derails and they're getting worse, more frequent, and carrying more oil and coal. It is a major problem that most realtors don't seem to want to admit even if you directly ask them about it, let alone pointing it out.

The plane issue is from Boeing planes and military planes that are so loud they literally hurt your ears... you can't hear the news if it's on and you have to interrupt your telephone conversations. My cat runs and hides almost every time... sounds like a military invasion. There can be several an hour, starting very early, and I'm told if you purchase a nice house on one of the islands, you may have to deal with that all day and night at certain times of the year.

In short, it is RIDICULOUS and something really should be done about it. Need some federal laws/oversight/enforcement to address it in a real way. Moving away from fossil fuels will help as well.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:59 AM

48 posts, read 29,531 times
Getting back to the question posed by the original post:

We have been in the home buying/selling market since May of 2021.Our search has been limited to Whatcom county i.e. Bellingham,Ferndale , Blaine.

At the present time late (September and October of this year),there is a definite downturn in the prices of the housing market.Not much, perhaps 2 to 5 percent, but it's there.

Whether this slight drop will persist into next spring is uncertain.That depends on mortgage rates and inventory.

The wild card is the continuing influx of high equity California residents to our area that destabilize the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington