Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 10:49 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You just left? What state did you move? How long were you here?
6 years, on our way to Cincinnati, OH. Certainly another reason is how Portland has deteriorated so much so quickly that we stopped enjoying going out for date nights there which was also one of the reasons we moved here. More to do and a nicer environment in Cincy now with the investment that’s been going on in downtown there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 10:54 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
6 years, on our way to Cincinnati, OH. Certainly another reason is how Portland has deteriorated so much so quickly that we stopped enjoying going out for date nights there which was also one of the reasons we moved here. More to do and a nicer environment in Cincy now with the investment that’s been going on in downtown there.
Cincinnati has more violent crime than Portland though.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Cincinnati has more violent crime than Portland though.
Agreed, though we’ll be in a safe burb and know where the violent crime prone areas are to avoid whereas every excursion into Portland is just depressing now.

Our last visit before we left we went to get some Toadstool Cupcakes…homeless encampments right on the sidewalk there.

Last edited by notnamed; 07-05-2021 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 12:46 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I am as tired of smokey summers as anyone.... anyone who is not currently having a smokey summer.

I have lived here as long as I can remember. And as long as I can remember, people have complained about the rain, and immediately somewhere around July 4, we start complaining about the lack of rain. We can switch from complaining about cold to complaining about heat in a day! It's our enduring feature.

And as long as I can remember, we have had 9 months of rain and 3 months of drought. It's the one thing we have always been able to count on. It never rains in August. And it only scarcely rains in July. Usually one severe heat wave, and one severe cold snap each season. Some years, even more than others, but the weather has always been such. We've often had these lovely marine layer mornings like this morning, followed by it being too dang hot by afternoon. Having always had a farm and farm chores, we learned to do our chores early, before it got too hot.... because most of us wilt in anything more than 75 degrees.

Global warming may have changed that by a degree here or there, but the rest is mostly selective memory. And wildfires probably have much more to do with changes in forestry practices far away than changes in climate here. According to many, we're not likely to get drier with global warming, we may actually get wetter. It's wetter this year than it was last year at this time. I haven't measured it, but my pasture is still green now, and it wasn't last year on the fourth. I remember.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-05-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 01:37 PM

In Vancouver, WA our yard was crunchy after that heat wave even though it had daily automatic sprinklers.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
What I cherish about western Washington is the endless hiking and backpacking opportunities. There really is a short window of time to be able to go high up in the mountains without snowshoes and unfortunately that tends to be the time of the smoke. I’ve had backpack trips somewhat ruined two years in a row due to wildfire smoke.

I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker per se but it sometimes makes me want to look into places like maybe Colorado or Utah, but I feel like they’re often subject to the same conditions. I’ve also thought about perhaps New Hampshire or Vermont but I don’t like the tick situation there. We’ll see how bad it gets this year.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:59 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have lived here as long as I can remember. And as long as I can remember, people have complained about the rain, and immediately somewhere around July 4, we start complaining about the lack of rain. We can switch from complaining about cold to complaining about heat in a day! It's our enduring feature.

And as long as I can remember, we have had 9 months of rain and 3 months of drought. It's the one thing we have always been able to count on. It never rains in August. And it only scarcely rains in July.
I remember it a bit differently. There was rain on and off throughout June and into the first one to two weeks of July. The dry season started the second or third week of July. It rained a bit in August - most often near the end of the month. People didn't start talking drought until we had gone five or so weeks without rain because the dry spell is normal.

The Olympia Regional Airport lists our average July rainfall as 0.53 inches and the average August rainfall as 0.96 inches.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:07 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I remember it a bit differently. There was rain on and off throughout June and into the first one to two weeks of July. The dry season started the second or third week of July. It rained a bit in August - most often near the end of the month. People didn't start talking drought until we had gone five or so weeks without rain because the dry spell is normal.

The Olympia Regional Airport lists our average July rainfall as 0.53 inches and the average August rainfall as 0.96 inches.

Well, everyone remembers it the way they want to see it, unless someone has an actual chart and wants to compare. I'm not in a place to look it up... but half an inch, or even an inch, of rain in a month is really very dry. That's one fast moving thundershower.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:34 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post

Phoenix gets more rain in July and August. 1 inch of rain in a whole month is practically nothing.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:42 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I am as tired of smokey summers as anyone.... anyone who is not currently having a smokey summer.

And as long as I can remember, we have had 9 months of rain and 3 months of drought. It's the one thing we have always been able to count on. It never rains in August. And it only scarcely rains in July. Usually one severe heat wave, and one severe cold snap each season. Some years, even more than others, but the weather has always been such. We've often had these lovely marine layer mornings like this morning, followed by it being too dang hot by afternoon. Having always had a farm and farm chores, we learned to do our chores early, before it got too hot.... because most of us wilt in anything more than 75 degrees.

Global warming may have changed that by a degree here or there, but the rest is mostly selective memory. And wildfires probably have much more to do with changes in forestry practices far away than changes in climate here. According to many, we're not likely to get drier with global warming, we may actually get wetter. It's wetter this year than it was last year at this time. I haven't measured it, but my pasture is still green now, and it wasn't last year on the fourth. I remember.
That may be true regarding the pro(re)gressive mismanagement of the forests, but with that said, much of the smoke that drifts into WA originates elsewhere unfortunately, so WA is often a victim other’s poor behaviors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington