Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
So far in Western WA we haven’t had any issues with Smoke, I went hiking up at Sunrise on Mt Rainier yesterday and it was clear blue skies as far as the eye could see. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised if the smoke comes rolling in mid august and will probably last until mid September once the start of the rainy season washes out the haze. July is probably the best month to visit WA at this point if you want warm sunny days with no risk of smoke
I don't mind rainy days. Maybe early October would be best. Thanks for your response.

Though in the past, there have been heat waves lasting into October, haven't there? *sighhh* It's all so unpredictable nowadays...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 12:33 PM

234 posts, read 499,149 times
I made the move to WA from AZ 27 years ago. Moved to Seattle with nothing but a beat up pickup truck, a couple grand saved up, and a few personal belongings. I'm thankful every day I made the move both professionally and for quality of life. Arizona has its own beauty, but the Sound, the mountains, the beaches, blow anything in AZ away. I occasionally miss the sun in the winter but that's it. Politics don't really bother me too much either way, but I see how people can be frustrated by the homeless issues and COL increases. Not sure there are easy answers to either though.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:38 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't mind rainy days. Maybe early October would be best. Thanks for your response.

Though in the past, there have been heat waves lasting into October, haven't there? *sighhh* It's all so unpredictable nowadays...
Even if there is a string of nice warm sunny days in October as was the case last year, there is like 0 chance of smoke, I think the wind direction changes or something by that point. But yes last year our October was glorious, if it pans out to be similar this year I would definitely recommend it, probably best to try and make it in the first half of the month, although last year I think it wa the end of October that ended in a bang, I remember going out to Ruston and the Tacoma water front on Halloween and it being very sunny that day.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Tri cities has avoided smoke so far this summer. 2019 and 2020 not so much. The location of this years fires combined with little wind has spared us here. Of course there is a long way to go in fire season this year.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:22 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Nothing to do with natural beauty....just impossible to stay... for many who slaved and invested to make the state great, and a High QoL for others.

Are you a WA farmer, builder, employer, business owner? (with a high capital investment?).

Legislation has made it nearly impossible to do the above. When that is your livelihood, you may need to leave WA to remain profitable.

If you are a previous long-term WA resident and now retired with minimal or no income... you may be forced to relocate due to high property tax increases and zero income.. my property taxes were 1/100th my income when I retired. They are now 1/3rd of my total enabled income. That leaves little remaining $ for food, insurance, and none for entertainment or such necessities as gas. (Fortunately my fuel is free homebrew).

Many nice places to live have been ruined for those who invested their lives to make it so.

Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colorado.... Poof, gone for locals, no longer home. Politics is a whole nuther story...
In King County, if you were born in 1959 or earlier and your income is less than $58,423, then you are eligible for significant, permanent cuts in your property taxes. There are other programs for property tax deferrals/reduction in King County for other types of eligible homeowners.

Does your county offer similar tax relief programs?

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/assessor/TaxRelief.aspx

Old 07-26-2021, 07:33 PM

77 posts, read 143,507 times
I’m curious…does the wildfire smoke really linger at the western edges of the OP? I would think that the westerly winds keep the air pretty clear, not like Central Oregon these past few summers.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
It is a crapshoot. It has everything to do with wind direction. It’s like a lottery, you take your chances.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
It is indeed a crapshoot but in my area the wind normally comes from the west.
I have only seen it smokey here once in 3 years but those couple of days were duzzies.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:31 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Tri cities has avoided smoke so far this summer. 2019 and 2020 not so much. The location of this years fires combined with little wind has spared us here. Of course there is a long way to go in fire season this year.
Interesting. Seattle area had no smoke at all in 2019.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:28 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Interesting. Seattle area had no smoke at all in 2019.
We had very little smoke in Eastern Washington back in 2019, it was a return to norm after the Summers of 2017 and 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington