Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 10:12 PM

302 posts, read 307,165 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone here can help!

Let's say you have a BENG in a particular field with hons and graduated in Scotland.
Some say that this is the same as a master degree in the US but others say that is not the case.
Pretty much most of the time no one asks about the "type" of degree but if you have a degree of the related field and to furnish the certificate and transcripts. This rarely has happened in my many years of being in the industry.

Believing that it has been a US masters equivalent, what are the things that can happen if there is a job opportunity and as part of the BG check, you chose masters but it is not a masters degree?

What about having an NC/HNC prior to the university education? Some say it adds 1 more year to the university degree (thus 5 years) which is a masters (same major).

Does anybody know what the situation is? I feel I messed up by unintentionally answering that I have a masters degree, believing what I have graduated in a US equivalent of masters.

The job itself requires a BS min in the related industry or related experience, which I do on all of that.

I am kicking myself. Took so long to get this opportunity and now I am at the very last step.

Different countries, different "equivalents". It's annoying and frustrating. I just don't want them to black list me or retract the offer all because of this 1 thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 08:13 AM

1,485 posts, read 1,661,316 times
A three year UK degree is equivalent to a four year US degree. That's about where everything stops here. It's not a masters, and you can't make it a masters by adding on education prior to it.

If they check and found out you told them wrong, you won't get the job because they will think you lied. But they might not check - a lot of companies don't bother. If you tell them ahead of time that you realised that you made a mistake then they might see it your way or they might think you are too careless to hire. There's no good answer, you are going to have to decide whether to own up or not.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:04 PM

Thanks.
Well mine is a 4 year degree but interestingly it translates to a masters in the US provided you have 5 years post progression i n the field of specialty and this also states it in the USCIS website.

Now they are asking why I didn't update my Resume with that info - well, I have been busy and busting my backside! Plus no one asks for educational background and frankly, its further down on the list!

Old 07-27-2021, 12:34 PM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
..........Now they are asking why I didn't update my Resume with that info - well, I have been busy and busting my backside!.......
What I am hearing you say is that getting a new job is low priority and not worth making any time to work on it, not even for a few minutes.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:41 PM

Well you heard wrong then. I have been establishing and running my business for a long time and immigrating here. That is pretty stressful in my industry.
Please BE HELPFUL, not jump to conclusions and kick me down.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:21 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,453,760 times
There are buttloads of people on the internet that feel just as safe spitting on you as helping you. Just something I've noticed in the 23 years I've been on the internet.

Also, there's truckloads of people that think they can read you but, in reality, they're dumber than a plug regarding what you're wanting as far as helpful, useful information. Thankfully, there are plenty of helpful people on city-data Washington. I don't know how to help you and I'm not good at lying, so I can't help you. I wish you the best in your education/documentation/work pursuits.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:52 PM

Thanks Elkotronics - I appreciate it a lot with your support there.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:58 PM

Got official word that all is ok and that I was not "lying"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington