Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 11:35 AM

55 posts, read 62,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have relatives in Sequim, Port Angeles, and Burlington/Mt. Vernon. Having spent time in those places I would say good for your budget, not so great for the schools, and more conservative than you are looking for. The same with the affordable south and east. I would suggest Maple Valley, or if you can afford a rare home in your budget, Sammamish, Issaquah, Redmond or Kirkland. I'm in Sammamish and we do see some go for just under $1 million still. We do get a bit more rain than Seattle, however.
Thanks for the input. As I've read these posts, done some additional research, and browsed houses, I increasingly think that Sammamish, Issaquah, Redmond or Kirkland, etc., would be the best bet but for house prices.

What's your take on the rain? I personally wouldn't mind it, but harder to predict for my kid. Seems like most people tolerate it or even like it, but that there are some people that simply cannot tolerate 5-6 months of mostly gray days.

I take it that most of the time in the winter, you could still go outside and do stuff outside, right? It's just gray -- not actively raining in a way that would keep you from going on a walk or kicking a soccer ball around with a kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 11:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunsafe2015 View Post
Thanks for the input. As I've read these posts, done some additional research, and browsed houses, I increasingly think that Sammamish, Issaquah, Redmond or Kirkland, etc., would be the best bet but for house prices.

What's your take on the rain? I personally wouldn't mind it, but harder to predict for my kid. Seems like most people tolerate it or even like it, but that there are some people that simply cannot tolerate 5-6 months of mostly gray days.

I take it that most of the time in the winter, you could still go outside and do stuff outside, right? It's just gray -- not actively raining in a way that would keep you from going on a walk or kicking a soccer ball around with a kid?
We moved here from California (Bay Area) in 1993, and the kids were 14, 9, and 5. It took some getting used to but all 3 played soccer, both girls played softball, and our son played baseball. We went camping, fishing, bike riding, hiking and other outdoor sports. Our rain in spring and fall is more like a light mist, and with mild temperatures it doesn't stop outdoor activities in March-June and October. November-February we get cold and may have 1-3 snowfalls. Sammamish and Issaquah Highlands are at a higher elevation (600' here) so may get colder and more snow than the flatlands of Issaquah and Redmond. Everyone is different in how they tolerate a lot of gray sky, I happen to be fine with it because it keeps things so green almost all of the year. Most people never water their lawn all summer, letting it go brown, but by October it's green again.
I might add that all of our kids have chosen to remain in the area, one here, one in Seattle, one in Mt. Vernon.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:57 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunsafe2015 View Post

The competitive soccer programs here run June-April. My kid has complained all summer about it being hot and sunny and seems to really enjoy and crave the cold, rainy practices. Sometimes you just laugh at what weather they end up playing in. But clubs don’t mess much with snow, or smoke and pretty much zero tolerance for lightening. But those pineapple expresses? Good playing weather according to some!

I think you should still try for the Eastside. Fall City, North Bend, East Renton Highlands, etc.

Can you compromise on the SFH? We own a townhome and a condo in the Issaquah Highlands. Honestly I am much happier in those than the slightly (or not slightly) more expensive SFH with a postage size “backyard” complete lacking in charm and privacy. There are so many of those where I live and they aren’t worth the $$$ people spend on them!

Your politics would fit in EXTREMELY well here in the Highlands. You sound like the ladies that make up the resident-run Highland Council.

It’s a very pretty place too. Explains the insane demand.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:43 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
We're completely acclimated here, even hubby who grew up in Arizona.

We love grey skies any time in summer... it's the perfect weather for outdoor activities. If it's sunny it's instantly too hot to do anything!

In winter, the sun is a welcome cheerful change when it happens, which is more often than you think. But in winter those cloudy grey days usually mean milder temps than if it's clear out.

I argue with this forum a lot about selective memory regarding the weather.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:02 PM

22 posts, read 16,876 times
With all your metrics, you might consider Port Townsend if it doesn't seem too small for what you need as far as restaurants and other urban amenities.

I don't have kids so I'm not sure how the schools rank - probably not as good as the really rich ones in the Seattle suburbs and satellite towns, but I don't think they're terrible either.

Definitely it's a big improvement on Seattle's weather since it's in the Olympic Peninsula's rain shadow area.

The housing market is competitive but if your only budget constraint is staying under $1 million you'll be fine.

COVID conscious, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington