Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Fed/Potus Mandates needed for WA?
Yes, these Federal/Potus Vax Mandates are needed 55 29.57%
No, these Fed/Potus Vax Mandates are NOT needed 124 66.67%
We don't know yet 7 3.76%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 12:50 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

Dr Parks is well known for her flights from reality, over the last year she has made some incredible blunders, and, the "evidence" she supplies is so laden with medical terminology not easily understood by laypeople that it becomes a moot point in any quoting of her statements. Meanwhile, we sit on the sidelines of this circus trying desperately to sort out that which we can't understand..

https://www.deplatformdisease.com/bl...zoi0fkpfr3udgc

https://www.healthandsciencefacts.co...id-19-vaccines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 10:39 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Because of paywall I copied this. It's from the LA Times/Seattle Times:

CDC shifts pandemic goals away from reaching herd immunity

The prospects for meeting a clear herd-immunity target are “very complicated,” said Dr. Jefferson Jones, a medical officer on the CDC’s COVID-19 Epidemiology Task Force.

“Thinking that we’ll be able to achieve some kind of threshold where there’ll be no more transmission of infections may not be possible,” Jones acknowledged last week to members of a panel that advises the CDC on vaccines.

Vaccines have been quite effective at preventing cases of COVID-19 that lead to severe illness and death, but none has proved reliable at blocking transmission of the virus, Jones noted. Recent evidence has also made clear that the immunity provided by vaccines can wane in a matter of months.

The result is that even if vaccination were universal, the coronavirus would probably continue to spread.

“We would discourage” thinking in terms of “a strict goal,” he said.

To Dr. Oliver Brooks, a member of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, it was a sobering new message, with potentially worrisome effects.

With just 58.5% of all Americans fully vaccinated, “we do need to increase” the uptake of COVID-19 shots, said Brooks, chief medical officer of Watts Healthcare in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, he said, Jones’ unexpected admission “almost makes you less motivated to get more people vaccinated.”

Brooks said he worries that as the CDC backs off a specific target for herd immunity, it will take the air out of efforts to run up vaccination levels.

And if public health officials stop talking about the “herd,” people may lose sight of the fact that vaccination is not just an act of personal protection but a way to protect the community.

A public tack away from the promise of herd immunity may also further undermine the CDC’s credibility when it comes to fighting the coronavirus.

On issues ranging from the use of masks to how the virus spreads, the agency has made some dramatic about-faces over the course of the pandemic. Those reversals were prompted by new scientific discoveries about how the novel virus behaves, but they’ve also provided ample fuel for COVID-19 skeptics, especially those in conservative media.

“It’s a science-communications problem,” said Dr. John Brooks, chief medical officer for the CDC’s COVID-19 response.

“We said, based on our experience with other diseases, that when you get up to 70% to 80%, you often get herd immunity,” he said.

But the SARS-CoV-2 virus didn’t get the memo.

“It has a lot of tricks up its sleeve, and it’s repeatedly challenged us,” he said. “It’s impossible to predict what herd immunity will be in a new pathogen until you reach herd immunity.”

“We want clean, easy answers, and sometimes they exist,” John Brooks said. “But on this one, we’re still learning.”

Herd immunity was never as simple as many Americans made it out to be, said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on the challenges of communicating science to increasingly skeptical — and often conspiracy-minded — citizens.

My read: Someone who was fired for no vax needs to use this and sue the ***** out of the state. Citizens need to demand choice and to stop these ridiculous vax card mandates.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:01 PM

You can't eat indoors at a King County restaurant unless you have your vaccine card, but that's okay... just head over to your great auntie's nursing home and lunch with her and the gals:

[url]https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/nursing-homes-can-now-lift-most-covid-restrictions-on-visits[/url]

Old 11-12-2021, 11:57 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My read: Someone who was fired for no vax needs to use this and sue the ***** out of the state. Citizens need to demand choice and to stop these ridiculous vax card mandates.
I have been saying for months that the covid vaccine is mainly for personal protection (just like the flu shot) and I am not an expert, just someone who has common sense. If there are 30M flu cases per season and millions of common cold cases, why do some people think covid could be any different? More like wishful thinking.

Last edited by Botev1912; 11-13-2021 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 11:18 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,369 times
Initial data showed that the Covid virus was fairly stable. That lead to the goal of herd immunity or something closer to eradication. Then, as we learned that it mutates quite a lot, scientists started figuring that we maybe couldn’t get there. The fact that the delta variant is much more transmissible out another nail in that coffin, but as usual the messaging is slow and fractured, and people aren’t getting their guidance from a single source.

As posts on this forum have indicated, Covid messaging and measures varies so much from county to county and based on job type, etc. that people are left scratching their heads on why we are doing what we are doing.

Other countries with a stronger, centralized message and a less divided population have done much better, and the death count shows it.
I just heard a quote on NPR the other day… a crisis is like an X-ray… it reveals much of what is wrong with your system” (I’m paraphrasing a bit, it was a podcast)

Old 11-13-2021, 12:03 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Initial data showed that the Covid virus was fairly stable. That lead to the goal of herd immunity or something closer to eradication. Then, as we learned that it mutates quite a lot, scientists started figuring that we maybe couldn’t get there. The fact that the delta variant is much more transmissible out another nail in that coffin, but as usual the messaging is slow and fractured, and people aren’t getting their guidance from a single source.

As posts on this forum have indicated, Covid messaging and measures varies so much from county to county and based on job type, etc. that people are left scratching their heads on why we are doing what we are doing.

Other countries with a stronger, centralized message and a less divided population have done much better, and the death count shows it.
I just heard a quote on NPR the other day… a crisis is like an X-ray… it reveals much of what is wrong with your system” (I’m paraphrasing a bit, it was a podcast)
Most recent data shows something totally different but the nonsensical vaccine mandates and proof of vaccination remain. The only explanation for this is to make people like you feel safer not to actually make them safer. The exact same reason why 2 year olds are required to wear masks.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Most recent data shows something totally different but the nonsensical vaccine mandates and proof of vaccination remain. The only explanation for this is to make people like you feel safer not to actually make them safer. The exact same reason why 2 year olds are required to wear masks.
As I have said before, distancing, masks, vaccination have all been proven to help against the disease. That’s established science by multiple, completely disconnected health agencies, drug companies and independent scientists. I can get why people may be against some of those measures. But simply, they have always been helpful against transmissible diseases, and they will always be helpful. It’s not even new science. The results just vary by disease.

Old 11-13-2021, 03:17 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Fauci made it clear at the outset that the CDC was more concerned about overwhelmed healthcare systems than any other aspect of the COVID threat, the latest CDC communique doesn't really reveal much that would cause me and others not to take all precautionary measures.

Herd immunity entered the picture as a meme which postured the threat as something that would pass when a majority got the disease, or the shot, leaving the "herd" immune to further threats. No one who reads much can honestly say they believed in herd immunity as much more than a thin hope. And nothing we do will be satisfactory to those who aim to make this about their dire suspicions of government...

My takeaway:
"Herd immunity was never as simple as many Americans made it out to be", said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on the challenges of communicating science to increasingly skeptical and often conspiracy-minded citizens."

Old 11-13-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Fauci made it clear at the outset that the CDC was more concerned about overwhelmed healthcare systems than any other aspect of the COVID threat, the latest CDC communique doesn't really reveal much that would cause me and others not to take all precautionary measures.

Herd immunity entered the picture as a meme which postured the threat as something that would pass when a majority got the disease, or the shot, leaving the "herd" immune to further threats. No one who reads much can honestly say they believed in herd immunity as much more than a thin hope. And nothing we do will be satisfactory to those who aim to make this about their dire suspicions of government...

My takeaway:
"Herd immunity was never as simple as many Americans made it out to be", said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on the challenges of communicating science to increasingly skeptical and often conspiracy-minded citizens."
By all means take as many precautionary measures as you want.

But if this is the standard for the entire country than as a citizen of the country I want the same freedoms that 44 states have that I don't. The freedom to choose to wear a mask and to keep my health information private at all times while out in society.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Oh but think of all the lives you would be saving.
Or, This is going to have to be a team effort and if we all stick together we can prevail.
Or, But, but, but if you follow the science it says…..
Or, What have you read and are you qualified/smart enough to make these decisions?
Or, I know these are just kids but they should learn to wear masks at a young age.
Or, It’s just these pesky ignorant right wingers that are making an issue of following the orders.
Or, Our leadership is extremely competent, smart, on top of everything and would never makes mistakes….. or fall asleep in big meetings .

I could add more of the word salad puking points but I won’t.

If you and your family are vaccinated, have antibodies, are healthy and live a healthy lifestyle chances are you will be just fine.
You should be fine enough to make your own health choices and not have to share your personal medical records with strangers.

There is more going on than we are privy to .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington