Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Fed/Potus Mandates needed for WA?
Yes, these Federal/Potus Vax Mandates are needed 55 29.57%
No, these Fed/Potus Vax Mandates are NOT needed 124 66.67%
We don't know yet 7 3.76%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 10:37 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,404,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
People were frantic first and second week of January to find testing kits, but there weren't any to be found. Last week some shipments came in and people were reporting finding tests again.

From a clinical standpoint I'm not sure what that means. It would mean that first few weeks of January there were fewer tests. This week there would be more tests?

If we were testing fewer people, were all those people sick? Now that more tests are out there now we capture non-positive people more or are there simply more non-positive people.

Similarly, it seems that people in my neighborhood aren't freaking out anymore. There was at least once covid post each day with people questioning return to schools. Several freaking out about people not wearing masks in grocery stores.

All that has vanished. As if the virus decided to just walk out of town (or at least my neighbor's fears).
Actually we had little problems getting the test kits...just called around and bingo we got four kits. The problem was the test companies raise their prices by a lot. I think from about $18 to $24. l guess supply and demand and profit (Bill Gates greed) motivates them more than a moral duty to American public.
In my post above I mentioned that you can get the tests from the government for free. COVIDtests.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 10:51 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Actually we had little problems getting the test kits...just called around and bingo we got four kits. The problem was the test companies raise their prices by a lot. I think from about $18 to $24. l guess supply and demand and profit (Bill Gates greed) motivates them more than a moral duty to American public.
In my post above I mentioned that you can get the tests from the government for free. COVIDtests.gov
This was NOT the case in Eastern King County. People were selling or giving their own home kits to other people. People here weren't complaining about the price, except the desperate vacationers that went to urgent care (Indigo) and were charged several hundred dollars for travel testing.

Yes, as I hear it the government testing is finally up and running. Right when demand plummets (here). Go figure.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Pretty darn considerate of them to allow us to have tests at the end of the month .

I agree with the diet and exercise routine.
I do a good hour walk and 10-20 minutes of stretches and weights every day.
I have been slacking on eating smaller portions since I retired.
Tubby me needs to drop weight.

This alone is responsible for saving more lives than one would think.
Much more deaths come from poor health lifestyle choices than from a straight shot of Covid.

Oh I get it there is no political reward or gain from yelling at the fatties.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
The local San Francisco news station just now said that they think omicron may have peaked in California.
This was based on testing results.

This is kinda odd or rather hard for me to believe.
I know lots and lots of people that recently had the cold thing.
There are also no test kits available at any retail outlets.
Nobody I know would go to a hospital for a cold.

Just how did they do their testing?
I just asked Siri and that had several links at least a day old that mentioned California was about to peak.

So to repeat, how do they do their testing?
Also where is Washington at on this?
I think finding out where Washington is at on this will be rather telling.
Oh, I almost forgot. The EASIEST way scientists are testing for prevalence of Covid in the population is by testing sewer effluent. So, that covers pretty much everyone. No individual testing required.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,424 times
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-immunity/amp/

Here’s a good article that explains where the science is currently at, regarding omicron and natural immunity. Helps explain why scientists aren’t as ready as the general public to declare the pandemic over. But hopeful.

“One important takeaway from all that pre-omicron research: Infection-induced immunity and vaccine-induced immunity are pretty similar. On the whole, studies found that the efficacy of infection-induced immunity was about the same as what you’d get from a two-dose mRNA vaccine, and sometimes higher. For example, research from the U.K., in which a few hundred thousand participants were followed in a large-scale longitudinal survey, found that prior to May 16, having had two doses of the vaccine (regardless of the type) reduced the risk of testing positive by 79 percent, while being unvaccinated and having had a previous infection reduced the risk by 65”

“Still, vaccine-induced immunity is a better choice, not because it produces a stronger immunity, but because it enables you to get the immunity without the side effects and risks that come along with illness — like a greater risk of stillbirth if you’re pregnant, or long COVID, hospitalization and death in general.”

“ The public desire for information on omicron is moving faster than science can produce, but we do know that this variant escapes natural immunity as easily as it does vaccine immunity. Omicron carries a lot of mutations that make it able to evade antibodies — and it doesn’t really matter how you got those antibodies in the first place, said Jeffrey Klausner, a professor of medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine.”

“ how much immunity can anyone really expect to come out of those mild infections with? “We’re going to know for sure in a few weeks because a ton of preprint is coming out about it, but I don’t know the answer today,” Moore said. It’s information journalists can come back and update you on later, but it makes informed speculation hard now.”

“Which brings us to the biggest question of all: Will the many infections, reinfections and breakthrough infections associated with omicron maybe — finally — put us in a better position for a well-protected, safer society? Maybe even a society that doesn’t have any more big waves crashing on its head? Theoretically, yes, Klausner told me. And he’s optimistic that it will. Thomas and Dennehy, on the other hand, were more cautious. After all, Dennehy pointed out, there’s no guarantee that future strains will be related to omicron. If omicron is different enough from delta that it evades immunity from that previous variant, what happens if a future variant comes along that’s evolved from delta and not omicron? It’s not unreasonable to expect a whole new wave.”

Old 01-19-2022, 01:11 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Meanwhile the UK drops all covid restrictions including masks. They will not even require isolation after March!

U.K. lifts COVID-19 restrictions, says Omicron wave 'has peaked'

Old 01-19-2022, 01:45 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Sadly in WA state I predict we will be required to wear a mask for ordinary trips to supermarkets, banks, businesses till 2024 at the earliest.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:56 PM

Yeah I totally forgot about the sewage effluent.
That makes a lot of sense.
My bad.

Pretty cool about the UK.
What I liked the most was at my quick glance is that I didn’t see any signs of elections or other forms of political influence.

One think that does make me wonder and take notice is that the local news stations (I’m currently in the Bay Area) are basically screaming that there is a new wave of Covid sweeping the country and certain areas like San Quentin Prison is just getting overwhelmed with this new variant (called omicron) and that it is causing Chaos.

How this makes any sense is beyond me.
I mean it’s a freaking cold.
Grow a pair.

You know darn well if there were serious infections and/or deaths they would bring it up every top of the hour.
This is fear mongering at its finest.
Plain and simple propaganda.
They should be ashamed.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM

187 posts, read 68,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Sadly in WA state I predict we will be required to wear a mask for ordinary trips to supermarkets, banks, businesses till 2024 at the earliest.

Right? Is there even any talk in Olympia of bringing things back to normal? Just talk. Anything?

Old 01-19-2022, 02:00 PM

Err.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington