Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Fed/Potus Mandates needed for WA?
Yes, these Federal/Potus Vax Mandates are needed 55 29.57%
No, these Fed/Potus Vax Mandates are NOT needed 124 66.67%
We don't know yet 7 3.76%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 02:02 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Sadly in WA state I predict we will be required to wear a mask for ordinary trips to supermarkets, banks, businesses till 2024 at the earliest.
People will stop complying when they see where things are going. Yes even the ones that were always super cautious all of the last 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 04:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Yeah I totally forgot about the sewage effluent.
That makes a lot of sense.
My bad.

Pretty cool about the UK.
What I liked the most was at my quick glance is that I didn’t see any signs of elections or other forms of political influence.

One think that does make me wonder and take notice is that the local news stations (I’m currently in the Bay Area) are basically screaming that there is a new wave of Covid sweeping the country and certain areas like San Quentin Prison is just getting overwhelmed with this new variant (called omicron) and that it is causing Chaos.

How this makes any sense is beyond me.
I mean it’s a freaking cold.
Grow a pair.

You know darn well if there were serious infections and/or deaths they would bring it up every top of the hour.
This is fear mongering at its finest.
Plain and simple propaganda.
They should be ashamed.
Regarding the UK, the Johnson government is in serious trouble because they apparently partied it up while the rest of the country was in lockdown, so he may have to resign soon. With their system, the PM can resign but the government doesn’t change hands. Ironically the US political system is more like a monarchy than the UK system, where the Cabinet can override the PM with a simple majority.

But I don’t know if that influenced the decision. Hopefully it is the right one and the numbers continue to fall. I’d have given it another week, but let’s see.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Sadly in WA state I predict we will be required to wear a mask for ordinary trips to supermarkets, banks, businesses till 2024 at the earliest.
Normally we use past behavior to predict future behavior. Didn’t WA drop its mask mandates earlier, when Covid levels went down? Why would you predict they do something different this time, especially when that would be an unpopular move?

Or is my recollection wrong, and we never dropped the mask mandates earlier?

Last edited by Arcos; 01-19-2022 at 05:06 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 04:43 PM

Got my antibody results from the UW WAVES study today, only one day after my test. Negative for prior Covid infection, still a solid amount of vaccine antibodies. Good to know, but hard to interpret.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:12 PM

565 posts, read 281,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Normally we used past behavior to predict future behavior. Didn’t WA drop its mask mandates earlier, when Covid levels went down? Why would you predict they do something different this time, especially when that would be an unpopular move?

Or is my recollection wrong, and we never dropped the mask mandates earlier?
You're not wrong. Following CDC guidance mask mandates for vaccinated individuals were dropped in May 2021.

A mask mandate for vaccinated individuals was put back into effect in August 2021 again following CDC guidance.

I didn't check the quality of these sources but the timeline fits with what I remember and we're talking about dates not subjective data.

https://ballotpedia.org/Documenting_...mic,_2020-2021

https://crosscut.com/news/2021/08/ne...-you-need-know

Old 01-19-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Got my antibody results from the UW WAVES study today, only one day after my test. Negative for prior Covid infection, still a solid amount of vaccine antibodies. Good to know, but hard to interpret.
Looking forward to seeing the data in this study. Thanks for sharing as I'd not heard of WAVES before.

Anecdotally, lots of people in our circle are now getting sick. I started experiencing mild sore throat/ears/sinus symptoms last Wednesday so the DW and I pretty much self quarantined. By Saturday things were bad enough that I took an at home test that had a negative result. Sunday morning I took another test from a different manufacturer. Again, the result was negative. I've got a history of sinus infections and the progression of my symptoms was familiar so I started a course of amoxcillin.

As of today, DW is feeling fine and I'm on the mend. We haven't had so much as the sniffles since the pandemic began so it seems kind of coincidental that I get sick when omicron is spreading like wildfire.
We're vaxxed and boosted and follow whatever mandates apply.

BTW, I couldn't get into our nearby urgent care facility. Website said "zero people in line." When I pulled in, the parking lot was jammed and a sign tacked up on the door indicated "over capacity - no walk ins."

I would very much like to know if I've had it.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
You're not wrong. Following CDC guidance mask mandates for vaccinated individuals were dropped in May 2021.

A mask mandate for vaccinated individuals was put back into effect in August 2021 again following CDC guidance.

I didn't check the quality of these sources but the timeline fits with what I remember and we're talking about dates not subjective data.

https://ballotpedia.org/Documenting_...mic,_2020-2021

https://crosscut.com/news/2021/08/ne...-you-need-know
Thanks. So Inslee is following the entirely logical practice of increasing proven anti Covid measures when Covid surges, and decreasing them when Covid subsides? That’s almost like… responsible management??????

All the while buying time for more people to get vaccinated, and gaining the benefit of natural immunity (while not overwhelming hospitals), benefits of both of which are now showing with the weaker omicron. Sounds like sound policy to me.

Last edited by Arcos; 01-19-2022 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the data in this study. Thanks for sharing as I'd not heard of WAVES before.

Anecdotally, lots of people in our circle are now getting sick. I started experiencing mild sore throat/ears/sinus symptoms last Wednesday so the DW and I pretty much self quarantined. By Saturday things were bad enough that I took an at home test that had a negative result. Sunday morning I took another test from a different manufacturer. Again, the result was negative. I've got a history of sinus infections and the progression of my symptoms was familiar so I started a course of amoxcillin.

As of today, DW is feeling fine and I'm on the mend. We haven't had so much as the sniffles since the pandemic began so it seems kind of coincidental that I get sick when omicron is spreading like wildfire.
We're vaxxed and boosted and follow whatever mandates apply.

BTW, I couldn't get into our nearby urgent care facility. Website said "zero people in line." When I pulled in, the parking lot was jammed and a sign tacked up on the door indicated "over capacity - no walk ins."

I would very much like to know if I've had it.
https://thewavesurvey.org/

Self sign up available, EDIT: but they choose participants at random. If they do choose you, they will test everyone in the household who signs up, and give you $20 per test. Nasal and blood draw. They don’t select everyone who signs up.

If you Google ‘Covid antibody test, WA’ you will find other providers who will do the test for $5 to $55, depending on whether insurance or a government program covers it. I haven’t used those.

Last edited by Arcos; 01-19-2022 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
https://thewavesurvey.org/

Self sign up available, EDIT: but they choose participants at random. If they do choose you, they will test everyone in the household who signs up, and give you $20 per test. Nasal and blood draw. They don’t select everyone who signs up.

If you Google ‘Covid antibody test, WA’ you will find other providers who will do the test for $5 to $55, depending on whether insurance or a government program covers it. I haven’t used those.

Thanks! I already signed up.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks. So Inslee is following the entirely logical practice of increasing proven anti Covid measures when Covid surges, and decreasing them when Covid subsides? That’s almost like… responsible management??????

All the while buying time for more people to get vaccinated, and gaining the benefit of natural immunity (while not overwhelming hospitals), benefits of both of which are now showing with the weaker omicron. Sounds like sound policy to me.

You're preaching to the choir Arcos. We're the 13th most populous state and have the 6th best deaths per capita. WA was one of the first states to have covid cases and Inslee took decisive action early on and listened to the CDC and made adjustments when appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington