Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 02:49 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thx.

We know what needs to be done.
Just do it!

Or spend 10 minutes giving yourself a lesson in airborne viral spread.

Wish the schools would get off their pitty-pot and empower their students to study and propose solutions.

Delivering traditional USA education at home, is not home schooling. Our school age youth are very useful and powerful innovators, and not burdened with adult defeatest (BTDT) mindset. Set the kids free, see what they can deliver. Certainly won't be the garbage we are getting from CDC.

Quoting yourself?

Who are you thanking, and who are you calling "we"?

On second thought.... gotta go. Nevermind....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 03:58 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
But I am pretty sure it was that selfish, tech employee from western Washington that started the pandemic in Idaho.
Come on, man, there's no reason to make this personal. I've been doing my part and masking up and social-distancing this whole time. I'm almost positive that I haven't given anyone COVID because I'm in a large bubble, and if I had an asymptomatic case, at least one of them would've shown symptoms at some point. I'm not accusing you of not taking the virus seriously, I'm speaking in generalities about people east of the Cascades.

COVID has reached all over the nation. As early as March 17, 2020, the virus was in all 50 states, with West Virginia being the last one. Since then, differing case rates have been about how seriously the local populace takes mask-wearing and getting vaccinated (along with other factors like household size and percentage of essential workers). It's a fact that the interior West has had some of the highest percentages of vaccine hesitancy and non-mask-wearing, that's why they have above-average case counts. I'm no more critical of the people I saw walking into the Hayden Wal-Mart last summer --- right past the huge "MASKS REQUIRED" sign --- and immediately taking their masks off, than I am of the UW kids who have never stopped packing into bars and holding huge house parties.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have no idea what's going on in Idaho. It's not really in my wheelhouse.

I'm just shocked to see increasing posts, elsewhere in social media and here on this thread, indicating some people think it's OK to start talking about denying care to people who some think are misbehaving and deserve to be sick.

Given what leads many to emergency rooms, I don't think that's a road we should go down. Many other choices could be questioned. Is that what we want?

I should stop what? Exactly? Servitor? I don't even know what that means.
The only one talking about denying care is the State of Idaho:

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.or...in-north-idaho

I see no reason to be tolerant of conduct that not only puts themselves at risk, but everyone else as well.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoods15 View Post
Wait what? Huh? I don't see anything in the news about Western WA opposing a hospital in Spokane.

Not just a hospital. The Heart Center for Spokane.

Followed by a nurses school,followed by the medical school....and on and on it goes.

So many over the years I have lost track.

Oh yeah, the conversion of the N Reactor to produce medical isotopes...that was stopped by western Washington politicians.

Four years or more ago, the Federal government decided that Wenatchee is "part of western Washington" and as such the local cable had to drop the Spokane TV stations and carry the Seattle TV stations.

You guys get limited news in western Washington. Lots of coverage of the Seahawks on your news, but I am not a Seahawks fan.

Yes, I can understand western Washington folks not hearing about many current issues in this state.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:43 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When Covid first struck Seattle, Inslee shipped his Covid patients to Spokane. That's where the Covid in North Idaho came from.

Then every time there was some sort of business closure in Washington, Spokane residents got into their cars and drove into Idaho for their shopping and restaurants, bringing their Covid with them.

So give up your party line lie that the folks in Washington are all working hard and sacrificing to stop the spread of Covid.
Inslee didn’t do that at all.
Federal officials decided where to transfer patients and Spokane was one of the few places equipped for them.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-at-sacred-he/

If Idaho had shut down, they wouldn’t have had the morons flocking there. It’s their own damn fault.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
In my area, which is right on the Washington-Idaho border, I am not hearing much if any antagonism from people regarding Idaho's Covid regulations. Or any complaining about Idahoans "taking up" our hospitals.

It's funny, though, that Inslee and the NY Times, and I assume other bigwigs in Western WA, have such feigned "frustration" with Idaho.

Do you think maybe...possibly...that their issue is more political than financial?
I live in Spokane and lots of people are angry and upset here. All of the Providence hospitals starting today have canceled all non emergency surgery. I have a friend who had her brain surgery canceled.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:54 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I live in Spokane and lots of people are angry and upset here. All of the Providence hospitals starting today have canceled all non emergency surgery. I have a friend who had her brain surgery canceled.
My daughter was undergoing chemo treatments during the time that local hospitals were attempting to save the "freedom fighters" from their own poor choices. She had a lot of difficulty when attempting to see her doc in the hospital setting, as they were overloaded with people who could negatively affect her health. But some people have little to no concern for others and this Covid debacle only underscores that relatively new phenomenon of medical me-ism.

On a separate note, my wife's unvaccinated sister in law ended up in the hospital last week in North Dakota, a state full of paranoid types who shunned the shot but now expect alt-treatment of all kinds to be at their beck and call. And now they have their own crisis of too many Covid patients taking up needed space. I blame the internet for most of the misguided notions which fill the heads of the uneducated and fearful. When the Polio vaccination came around we didn't hear of people shouting about their freedom, nor were they angry at the President, Congress, Governors, or scientists, they were happy to think that their children would be spared the pain of a terrible disease.

But then again, we didn't have people running to their computers and thinking they could refute medical science by reading some dumbed down version of just how the Polio vaccination worked. All vaccines have risk, ALL surgeries have risk, ALL drugs have risky side effects, but we accept those risks when considering the specter of worsening health or death. I got the shot, I read as much as I could about the research in mRNA technology, I figured I'd rather take my chances with the vaccination than suppose a kind of "herd immunity" would be an answer to our collective dilemma.

Posters who equate the government's mandates to that of Nazi Germany's role in stomping on the rights of it's citizens should utilize their investigative efforts beyond the realm of paranoia and discover that the Reich was little more than what we saw on January 6th taken to it's extreme, the Reich was formed by the supplanting of legitimate government with a horror show ran by a madman. EVERYTHING became political in the Reich, I'm old and have never seen such political divisiveness in America, from hair-on-fire shouters beseeching government to allow their freedoms to include the right to infect those around them, to the full of crap types on ultra conservative TV who posture their views as a reflection of freedom, but know that riling the uneducated provides great ratings.

I realize that we have some very real concerns over the relationship between government and corporations, and, the Pharma industry is far from my ideal of what real healthcare could/should be, but, again, it's about weighing the risks at this point. and I've included the thought that big pharma, a money hungry enterprise, isn't the answer to every known malady. I've also included the notion of looking back at the history of vaccinations and their connection to the common good. If I die WITH the vaccine I'll be among those who factor in the continuing evolution of Covid research, If I died of Covid without the vaccine, I'd simply become one more statistical element when counting those who've perished from a particular kind of foolishness.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:55 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
If we realize Covid is sticking around for awhile I don’t understand why we just don’t increase health care capacity by retraining, retooling and recruiting. Less program managers in tech. Already 18 months and counting. Little to no sign of going away. Time to think longer term and additional pragmatic coping strategies

Old 09-16-2021, 01:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I’m one of the few fiscal conservatives that believes in healthcare and education.

The poor people already have it.
The rich don’t need it.
The working class should not lose their homes because of medical bills.
The situation you've described stems from the nature of our two political parties serving their chosen constituents. The wealthy have the support of the Republican party and the Dems hand some crumbs to the poor in exchange for votes. I know plenty of liberals and conservatives who don't appreciate being excluded in that sad reality.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:16 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Well, maybe it's the political persuasions of the people we talk to/hang out with...

Spokane's hospitals pausing elective surgery was not necessarily due to North Idaho's Covid crisis. We have it bad in NE WA too, even with King Inslee's mandates (how well people are adhering to them is a different story altogether).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington