Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 05:45 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,425,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The climate here with winter rains makes things mossy and moldy and things like decks and houses need to be pressure washed to not look grungy, and not everyone does that. Extra items (lawn umbrellas, kids' toys) in the yard have to be put under cover to not get gross with algae and mold. Plus, there's a long growing season for weeds.
Yes, that's so true. We learned that real quick when we went slip-sliding on the deck. The concept of washing my house was so strange. Now I have 3 pressure washers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 07:41 PM

179 posts, read 110,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The climate here with winter rains makes things mossy and moldy and things like decks and houses need to be pressure washed to not look grungy, and not everyone does that. Extra items (lawn umbrellas, kids' toys) in the yard have to be put under cover to not get gross with algae and mold. Plus, there's a long growing season for weeds.
That is a good point!!

Old 11-05-2021, 05:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 701,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
Hello all,

My husband and I are strongly considering a move to Washington from California. Before you start hating on us, let me explain. We have legitimate reasons to move there. My mother in law lives in Bellingham, and she is ill. We'd like our kids to get to know her better while she's still around. Also, my husband works in tech and many of his colleagues/mentors live in that area now. Our other option is the NE coast, which we are considering as well, but my husband has a very minimal professional network there.

I hate California weather for the most part. It's far too hot and sunny, and I would love to live somewhere cooler. However, I'm concerned about the 8-9 months of "gloom" I keep reading about. I do love a crisp sunny day, when we get them. Are those few and far between in western Washington? Is it as grey and gloomy as everything I've read? I am prone to depression and already take antidepressants; would I be doomed in WA? We visited the Seattle area in the summer and it was lovely, but from what I've read, that's basically the only time of year the sun is out.

Also, we have two VERY active young boys. How do families deal with kids playing outside if it rains so much?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
winter it rains almost with at the least showers daily and windy often frequent power loss moss is everywhere you wont see dry dirt till spring sometime i can be very gloomy n dark

Old 11-16-2021, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 17,562 times
I've lived in western WA since '86, and I would agree that it's often gloomy during the winter. However, as many others have mentioned, it's somewhat (emphasis on somewhat) relative based on where you live as well as what month of the winter you're experiencing.

The gloom tends to have different "weight" to it, heavier in some areas and at different times than other areas. Some areas within the western cascade foothills and the olympics have heavy gloom, with thick, dark low lying clouds that may or may not be dropping rain. This is what gets to most people. Short winter days, with heavy cloud cover really only gives you only about 5 hours of daylight, and even then it's more like twilight where even your vehicle lights stay on. Weeks of this drag people down.

However, there are other areas, such as in the rain shadow or the central puget sound where the cloud cover is much thinner and higher. Even with total cloud cover, the days are much brighter and sunrise and sunset are more clearly defined. Sunbreaks are often possible, and rain much less likely. Most people wouldn't call that a gloomy day. As with all of it, the weather is not really stagnant in the PNW, and nearly 100% of the time you can look up and see the clouds moving at a fairly quick rate as one system moves through and gives way to another.

Additionally, you're not locked into experiencing the gloom all winter long once you come here. Even during the snowiest times of the year, Eastern WA is just a 2 hour drive away, where in the summer you have a very SoCal feel... hot and dry. In the winter, you'll have snow, but a much more sunshine and less humidity that Eastern WA. Most Eastern WA residents that I know make routine day trips to the eastern side, and many have 2nd homes or cabins over there too.

The gloom does exist, but it's not an all pervasive drive you to insanity type of thing. Nearly everyone gets used to it and develops comfortable coping habits. Even today, during one of the wettest and darkest months on record, we had some sunbreaks.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,954,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1982 View Post
The gloom does exist, but it's not an all pervasive drive you to insanity type of thing. Nearly everyone gets used to it and develops comfortable coping habits. Even today, during one of the wettest and darkest months on record, we had some sunbreaks.
Had to repost this pic to agree with this: Learn to enjoy the sunbreaks!

Old 11-16-2021, 05:12 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,689,651 times
Quote:
The gloom tends to have different "weight" to it, heavier in some areas and at different times than other areas. Some areas within the western cascade foothills and the olympics have heavy gloom, with thick, dark low lying clouds that may or may not be dropping rain. This is what gets to most people. Short winter days, with heavy cloud cover really only gives you only about 5 hours of daylight, and even then it's more like twilight where even your vehicle lights stay on. Weeks of this drag people down.
So true. If you're in one of the heavy cloud areas, you'll get fewer sunbreaks and need some coping mechanisms. The key is to realize you're moving to a place where the word "coping mechanism" is going to going be part of the experience in winter.

Work schedules also play a part. If you go to work in the dark, go home in the dark and spend the day in the office so you can't take advantage of a sunbreak, it can get to be more a of a drag than if you have a flexible schedule and can get outside during a sunbreak.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:56 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,997,335 times
Quote:

..........................................Addition ally, you're not locked into experiencing the gloom all winter long once you come here. Even during the snowiest times of the year, Eastern WA is just a 2 hour drive away, where in the summer you have a very SoCal feel... hot and dry. In the winter, you'll have snow, but a much more sunshine and less humidity that Eastern WA. Most Eastern WA residents that I know make routine day trips to the eastern side, and many have 2nd homes or cabins over there too.........................................

Yep, eastern Washington is totally full up with western Washington folks, both part-time and transplants. It is hard to find a local native anymore.

People sit in traffic jams coming and going from western Washington for hours on the mountain passes.

Last....the weather in eastern Washington is JUST AS BAD as western Washington from Thanksgiving until early March.

I go to Arizona for the winter.....

Old 11-17-2021, 10:33 AM

6,172 posts, read 3,370,291 times
[quote=509;62330596]Yep, eastern Washington is totally full up with western Washington folks, both part-time and transplants. It is hard to find a local native anymore.
People sit in traffic jams coming and going from western Washington for hours on the mountain passes.
Quote:
Last....the weather in eastern Washington is JUST AS BAD as western Washington from Thanksgiving until early March.
I go to Arizona for the winter.....
And the traffic in Arizona is backed up with people from Washington snow birding.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I've lived in western WA since '86, and I would agree that it's often gloomy during the winter. However, as many others have mentioned, it's somewhat (emphasis on somewhat) relative based on where you live as well as what month of the winter you're experiencing.

However, there are other areas, such as in the rain shadow or the central puget sound where the cloud cover is much thinner and higher. Even with total cloud cover, the days are much brighter and sunrise and sunset are more clearly defined. Sunbreaks are often possible, and rain much less likely. Most people wouldn't call that a gloomy day. As with all of it, the weather is not really stagnant in the PNW, and nearly 100% of the time you can look up and see the clouds moving at a fairly quick rate as one system moves through and gives way to another.

Additionally, you're not locked into experiencing the gloom all winter long once you come here. Even during the snowiest times of the year, Eastern WA is just a 2 hour drive away, where in the summer you have a very SoCal feel... hot and dry. In the winter, you'll have snow, but a much more sunshine and less humidity that Eastern WA. Most Eastern WA residents that I know make routine day trips to the eastern side, and many have 2nd homes or cabins over there too.

This is all really encouraging, thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to explain the different types of "gloom" in WA, lol. I actually think low level clouds are quite lovely, much better than a pale grey that almost looks like smog. I think if most the gloom is concentrated in the winter, then that could be ok. Currently in CA, the summer is the most depressing season for me. I say season, but it's more like 1/2 the year of 80+ temps. I much prefer a cooler climate, but also love a crisp cool day with blue skies (we use to see days like that in the fall in CA, but not so much anymore). I think I could be okay with occasional sunbreaks. I don't plan to have an in-office job again now that remoting is so popular, so I think even the short winter days could be managed as long as there is some sun on occasion.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Had to repost this pic to agree with this: Learn to enjoy the sunbreaks!
Ha! Great photo! Happy dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington