Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 06:48 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,361,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
With the logistical mayhem that the world is currently experiencing, perhaps Aberdeen should try to capitalize on this opportunity and expand their port? Historically it was the largest lumber port in the world and it’s currently the largest pacific port in the US that exports cars. They are also way closer to the Pacific than either Seattle or Tacoma so they would be able to attract many customers if they had the capacity?
There was a proposal once to dig a canal connecting the Chehalis River and Puget Sound. I don't think they envisioned it being big enough for large ocean-going container ships, but it could have been large enough for barge-traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Building up the college is a good idea, but probably not those majors frankly. You want to prepare people for jobs they can actually find. Business, industrial design, logistics, various computer science specialties, etc.

There are really no local jobs in fisheries, watershed management, coastal zone management, etc. All the fisheries jobs are managed out of Olympia or Seattle. And coastal zone management jobs will depend on someone in Gray's Harbor County planning department dying or retiring.
Not envisioning developing a new four-year university (ala Evergreen or Western), but expanding the existing two-year college (GHCC) to include some four-year "academic" degree programs (not unlike Bellevue College, for instance). The problem currently is there isn't enough demand in the area for degree-ed professionals as it is, although development of a four-year college could help bootstrap that demand. I'd rather have unique degree programs in the natural sciences that will draw students in, rather than run-of-the-mill "business" degree courses that could be had almost anywhere.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:30 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
There was a proposal once to dig a canal connecting the Chehalis River and Puget Sound. I don't think they envisioned it being big enough for large ocean-going container ships, but it could have been large enough for barge-traffic.
I can’t think of one reason to do that.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I can’t think of one reason to do that.
Theoretically, it would have cut transit times. Practically, however...

Old 11-16-2021, 12:03 AM

371 posts, read 361,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In Aberdeen we ran into (literally) a big protest/counter protest at the Start Wars store, but I suspect most of those people didn't live there.

https://www.chronline.com/stories/pr...s-store,270416
This little typo made me think things are even worse there than I realized! ; >

Old 11-18-2021, 08:12 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Here is an account of the effort. Complete with details of later suggestions to get the job done nuclear weapons. For real.

There was a proposal to build a second canal from Willapa Bay to Ilwaco across the Columbia from Astoria and then a third one from Willapa up to Aberdeen which would have created an inland waterway connecting Portland and Seattle. But I guess railroads made that more or less ridiculous.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+the+Canal.pdf

Last edited by texasdiver; 11-18-2021 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 08:54 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Here is an account of the effort. Complete with details of later suggestions to get the job done nuclear weapons. For real.

There was a proposal to build a second canal from Willapa Bay to Ilwaco across the Columbia from Astoria and then a third one from Willapa up to Aberdeen which would have created an inland waterway connecting Portland and Seattle. But I guess railroads made that more or less ridiculous.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+the+Canal.pdf
I can’t believe there was a day when that was thought to be a good idea! Thank you for sharing the details of it! I grew up literally under the main locks from Black Lake down into Puget sound.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:32 AM

808 posts, read 540,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Evergreen spinning into its own negative spiral and waste of an otherwise great opportunity.

Unfortunately, what happened with Evergreen is not unique to that specific administration - it is the direction of almost the entire educational establishment.

Unless you are talking about an egotistical billionaire setting up a vanity school, any new school or major increase of purpose would surely be along the "woke", Evergreen-style model.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:26 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Unfortunately, what happened with Evergreen is not unique to that specific administration - it is the direction of almost the entire educational establishment.

Unless you are talking about an egotistical billionaire setting up a vanity school, any new school or major increase of purpose would surely be along the "woke", Evergreen-style model.
I know what you mean in part. And certainly there is an element of that in all current colleges and universities. But I've attended great public and private institutions that aren't that extreme. While definitely not perfect, they are still 'functional' and serving the students' academic goals as well as the community.

I also have two current WA college students attending the big two and are having a good experience overall. Depending of the classes/majors, there is more or less an emphasis on that 'wokeness' aspect. For my son studying computer science, its a non-issue.

I see it more as a spectrum with some schools being more 'extreme' than others to the point of being basically non-functional. That is, they are so wrapped up in their extreme politics, they've lost sight of their original purpose and charter. And they fail at the most basic levels even leading the students in a safe, orderly fashion.

Derek

Old 12-12-2021, 02:23 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
My question is, what industries bring back Grays Harbor and the Coastal Counties in general. Even if you take a look across the Columbia at the more popular cities like Astoria, Seaside, and Cannon Beach, they all suffer from similar economic depression as Aberdeen. Without steady tourists those areas would be very much run down.

Aberdeen is cold, dark and difficult to get to which makes it hard to set up any major industries. With land out there relatively cheap they could look to become a server farm hub like the ones in Eastern Washington/Oregon.

Sometimes you establish Industries to spur development within the city, and sometimes I think the cities need to develop themselves before any industries can be established. Aberdeen is the latter right now. Maybe they could investment into their downtown area and establish themselves as a "Gateway to the Olympics" tourist city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington