Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2022, 10:02 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times

Advertisements

I've written LOTS about microclimates, especially when I drove around the Olympic Peninsula for work in the winter. The weather is different every few miles...and I'm talking amount & type of precipitation, sun in winter is VERY RARE.

I remember meeting up with my cousin one springtime, at his daughter's house in Portland. It was sunny & comfortably warm. I went a little farther to Salem to track down my parent's old place & it was TOO warm. Back at my place it was gray, cool, light rain.

Weather forecasts for the PNW can't be depended on. I used to watch the forecasts for here all the time when I was in SoCal & learned real quick that you don't base your travel or relocation plans on the weather report.

Comparing the weather of SW Washington vs NW Washington is like apples & oranges; lots more sun & heat farther south.

But try explaining microclimates to someone who says, "Oh I just loooove the rain! I never get tired of it" How about the gray? Let's talk in February! LOL!

Last edited by happygrrrl; 05-17-2022 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 10:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Here's some photos from today which had a nice mix of sun, clouds, no wind and mild temps (60s). The Columbia was nice and glassy as well.

Derek

Old 05-18-2022, 10:02 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
Well today so far looks stellar, but that will no doubt change.
Kinda feel like I’m in the middle of a donut seeing the clouds circle our horizon.

To the west of us and not far away we have the Olympic mountains.
The clouds constantly race past them usually going northbound.
This racing of the clouds seems to constantly change our weather.
Very seldom is it blue or grey all day long.
In the 20 minutes from when I took these pics it has already changed.

Happygrrrl,
I know that you are in-tune with the micro climates we have here.
I was just reading several journalists spew out the same old regurgitated lines that have no personal insight, so I was a bit frustrated.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-8a91c5b1-01da-41cc-abd1-88e7a2196731.jpeg   Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-c2be9473-77f7-4e74-9fec-6f9233b2aeb5.jpeg  

Old 05-18-2022, 12:12 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
[quote=happygrrrl;63454971
Comparing the weather of SW Washington vs NW Washington is like apples & oranges; lots more sun & heat farther south.

[/QUOTE]

So true! Gave you rep points. There's also no way for us under the constant clouds to prove the lack of sun in photos, so the best bet is to check out some news reports and get pics of the gloom that bears no resemblance to the sunshine and blue skies SW WA and Sequim (rain shadow) are experiencing.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:20 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
So true! Gave you rep points. There's also no way for us under the constant clouds to prove the lack of sun in photos, so the best bet is to check out some news reports and get pics of the gloom that bears no resemblance to the sunshine and blue skies SW WA and Sequim (rain shadow) are experiencing.
Sure there is! - if it’s cloudy where you are you should take and post pictures of cloudy rainy days! that’s what this thread is about and that’s what I’ve tried to do too :-). Showing the weather each day as it actually is not as others say it is.

Right now hubby and I are on the road going out to a couple of appointments today but I’m gonna try to post a picture later that I feel represents the day.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sure there is! - if it’s cloudy where you are you should take and post pictures of cloudy rainy days! that’s what this thread is about and that’s what I’ve tried to do too :-). Showing the weather each day as it actually is not as others say it is.
True, but unless I take a pic every hour, how does that prove there wasn't a sunbreak I didn't snap a pic of? The best bet is to watch some place where there's a live camera like the Space Needle or the Red Square cam at WWU in Bellingham. There are numerous more "real time" ways to get the whole day's weather in an area.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:55 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
True, but unless I take a pic every hour, how does that prove there wasn't a sunbreak I didn't snap a pic of? The best bet is to watch some place where there's a live camera like the Space Needle or the Red Square cam at WWU in Bellingham. There are numerous more "real time" ways to get the whole day's weather in an area.
The Space Needle camera is showing blue skies with a few clouds at this moment.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:15 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Then Seattle has more blue sky and sun than Vancouver today. I think this is also a good example of the weather being nicer in Seattle some days than further south along with Sequim and others. So, its not always a 'go south to getter better weather' situation. Maybe that's a general rule in some/most cases, but not always.

We've got clouds so far. The forecast shows some possible clearing later in the afternoon which has been the story of this month - clouds and some rain earlier followed by sunbreaks later in the day.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-18-2022 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-18-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Excellent! Hope we get some north of Everett this afternoon.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:46 PM

Here's red square at WWU under clouds, since our weather tracks more towards Bellingham's: https://www.livebeaches.com/webcams/...-fountain-cam/

It looks like it's going to clear up everywhere this afternoon after these winds blow through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington