Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 09:48 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times

Advertisements

There are ALOT of people posting on social media that they are tired of all the rain and flooding and are going to sell in the spring. Watch and see, even the flooded areas will be quickly forgotten and those homes gobbled up for top dollar by out of towners that don't know any better/don't read the fine print.
The same thing happened in Custer after the oil train derailment and fire, which was environmentalist sabotage. The little town sits near the BNSF "Wye" that runs the trains out to the refinery and it's at high risk for derailments and fire/explosions. Yet in a couple months it was all forgotten and those who feared a repeat listed their homes and the "deals" were quickly snapped up. Custer was very lucky that the train that derailed was going "in" with crude, instead of coming out with propane. The little core of town would have been leveled by a propane tank car explosion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
rkcarguy and Mayfair, thank you for the tips... very good to know about the north area not on rock.... is there any particular place in the area where the growlers would be worse? I was exploring the official city FAQ and one of the questions was "How do I file a NAS Whidbey Flight Noise Complaint?" so it must be an issue to some extent. I would think it would matter if a city (gov/admins/citizens) cares about this issue to put some pressure to not have them growling over. I seriously believe something must be done about this at the federal level. Seems completely wrong to me.
I think the federal gov't will just thumb their nose at you. Puget sound is a strategic area in the NW corner of our country and it's important that the area be militarily prepared. That is their reasoning and noise complaints aren't going to change anything. Further east outside of Anacortes it may be less.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:11 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
There are ALOT of people posting on social media that they are tired of all the rain and flooding and are going to sell in the spring. Watch and see, even the flooded areas will be quickly forgotten and those homes gobbled up for top dollar by out of towners that don't know any better/don't read the fine print.
The same thing happened in Custer after the oil train derailment and fire, which was environmentalist sabotage. The little town sits near the BNSF "Wye" that runs the trains out to the refinery and it's at high risk for derailments and fire/explosions. Yet in a couple months it was all forgotten and those who feared a repeat listed their homes and the "deals" were quickly snapped up. Custer was very lucky that the train that derailed was going "in" with crude, instead of coming out with propane. The little core of town would have been leveled by a propane tank car explosion.
I checked out Cliff Mass's blog and in addition to lots of rain we apparently just had as bad of a heatwave as the one in June. I knew it has been warm but in this season a little - or a lot- of extra warmth is enjoyed. I googled more information and came upon another local meteorologist's opinion... that these events, including the "blocking", which is the self-feeding heat dome that gave us the June burn, will only increase.

I'm creating a plan to go back to the upper midwest in 3-4 years. I've been spending a few hours identifying towns and villages that we might want to check out in-person next summer. Maybe check out some more the following summers until we can leave (younger son's graduation).

In order to stay long term here in the PNW we could get a heat pump or try to buy on stable land outside of a flood plain, but we can't escape wildfire smoke when it comes. Last summer ended up not being bad for smoke, but it could have been... it certainly was dry enough...

My sister in Minneapolis had smoke, it was either this year or end of last year. It was the first time they had it like we've had it for the last several years. There is no guarantee I can escape smoke there either. But climate change doesn't appear to be as dramatic (i.e. PNW wildfire, smoke, heat domes, landslides, windstorms, flooding) in the middle of the country. Of course you have to learn to appreciate the seasonal extremes of lots of heat and lots of cold, but communities were built to handle this from the very beginning.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:33 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Quote:
This is a big problem with buying in summer- it can look dry and beautiful and green. Big pitfall in the PNW - you never know about flooding, bad drainage or water pooling unless you see the property in the winter months. Summer drought takes away the evidence. Even if its not in flood plain, the yard could be so wet you can't use it in winter.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
This is a big problem with buying in summer- it can look dry and beautiful and green. Big pitfall in the PNW - you never know about flooding, bad drainage or water pooling unless you see the property in the winter months. Summer drought takes away the evidence. Even if its not in flood plain, the yard could be so wet you can't use it in winter.
I know someone that bought property to raise ducks. Specifically asked about flooding before purchase. Was told it doesn't flood. So what happened come winter: it flooded about 3" to 1' on 70% of the lot.

Good thing ducks like water.

Old 12-03-2021, 03:09 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I know someone that bought property to raise ducks. Specifically asked about flooding before purchase. Was told it doesn't flood. So what happened come winter: it flooded about 3" to 1' on 70% of the lot.

Good thing ducks like water.
They lucked out that it was for ducks.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Many landscapers or DIY landscapers manage to mess this up. The neighbors were landscaping their yard, out there grading it and checking with strings and levels all over to get the lawn areas perfectly flat. Well, that fall it was a swamp, their dog was out running in it flinging big chunks of muddy grass into the air from all 4 paws.
Everything needs to be sloped, graded, and drained to help clear tons of rain.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:42 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
I was once told by a chemical engineer that if the hydrocracker at one of the refineries (ARCO, at the time) exploded, it could wipe out Ferndale. The hydrocracker is a tower where fuels are separated by heat and pressure. KABOOM! Lots of safety precautions in place and I was told that 40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington