Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2022, 10:54 AM

1,369 posts, read 713,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Lifestyle and luck. Try not getting covid if you have children who go to school or if you work in a grocery store, gym or a restaurant for example. Nobody can avoid a cold, flu or covid. If you try to do that forever, then life becomes almost pointless. Avoiding covid was a good strategy with the wilder variants and pre-vaccines. Now, this is almost impossible and foolish since it affects your life in a negative way. People are a social species.
I’m pretty social. I meet regularly with kids who go to school. But yes, I’m lucky enough to not work in a public venue like that. But there are millions like me, and we don’t have pointless lives. I’m leading a pretty active winter… I go out every weekend, go skiing, hiking, parks, coffee shops and restaurants (outside only), went to see a play (pre-omicron, post booster, masks and a cross check of ID and vaccine status, was great!), have a couple of families I meet with regularly indoors.

Just because you need to (for a job, or other reason) be in a situation where you are more exposed, doesn’t mean you have to increase your risk in all aspects. I think people should do what they REASONABLY can do to reduce exposure. Even if it means they get Covid a few months later than otherwise, that is incrementally very effective on a population level, to keep hospital staff from burning out. Big picture.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:27 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I had a sh!tsh0w of a day at work today. I wasn't supposed to work at all because of a preplanned trip. Yesterday I found out my replacement called out sick.. but I said that's okay, I could come in for the shift after all since we will leave the following morning (Sat). I was expecting a good day. I worked with my boss yesterday and she was totally fine and she's awesome. We would work together today and it would be awesome.

Except for whatever reason (was she sick yesterday???) she tested positive for Covid this morning. Suddenly not only did I have to take up slack for the person that didn't take my shift, but I also had to take on my manager's shift too, which starts a couple hours before mine. And at the same time I'm being asked to come in early I'm also being told by another manager to take a covid test.... Like, in the next 20 minutes? I'm sorry, but it's not like I keep covid tests around the house... not worth the money (or the wait if going the gov route). And if it's positive what are we going to do, just close the store at 10am? So dumb. I didn't reply. Instead I got ready and went into work.

I think it's the first time my store has had "staffing shortages" and I'm pretty proud of that. But we did close early. I think the decision to have me close early was more in consideration of the unwarranted difficulties on me (working two people's shifts at once when I wasn't supposed to work at all). I did very much appreciate it...

Since I'm not scheduled again until Wednesday I'm not going to bother with testing unless someone specifically calls me on it or I develop symptoms. But given the Omicron's Christmas Visit to my family just 6 weeks ago I'm not the least bit concerned.

I'm so tired of this.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:28 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I had a sh!tsh0w of a day at work today. I wasn't supposed to work at all because of a preplanned trip. Yesterday I found out my replacement called out sick.. but I said that's okay, I could come in for the shift after all since we will leave the following morning (Sat). I was expecting a good day. I worked with my boss yesterday and she was totally fine and she's awesome. We would work together today and it would be awesome.

Except for whatever reason (was she sick yesterday???) she tested positive for Covid this morning. Suddenly not only did I have to take up slack for the person that didn't take my shift, but I also had to take on my manager's shift too, which starts a couple hours before mine. And at the same time I'm being asked to come in early I'm also being told by another manager to take a covid test.... Like, in the next 20 minutes? And if it's positive what are we going to do, just close the store at 10am? So dumb. I didn't reply. Instead I got ready and went into work.

I think it's the first time my store has had "staffing shortages" and I'm pretty proud of that. But we did close early. I think the decision to have me close early was more in consideration of the unwarranted difficulties on me (working two people's shifts at once when I wasn't supposed to work at all). I did very much appreciate it...

Since I'm not scheduled again until Wednesday I'm not going to bother with testing unless someone specifically calls me on it or I develop symptoms. But given the Omicron's Christmas Visit to my family just 6 weeks ago I'm not the least bit concerned.

I'm so tired of this.
If you had covid last month, it's very unlikely to get it so soon again. I tested positive on Wednesday and now feel 99% recovered. Can't imagine how people can get severely ill from this? Honestly the flu is a lot more unpleasant and lasts longer. I have even had nastier colds! But this life of constant fear, testing, isolating is not sustainable in the long term. It has to end or we will have a whole generation of crazy and depressed people at best.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
If you had covid last month, it's very unlikely to get it so soon again. I tested positive on Wednesday and now feel 99% recovered. Can't imagine how people can get severely ill from this? Honestly the flu is a lot more unpleasant and lasts longer. I have even had nastier colds! But this life of constant fear, testing, isolating is not sustainable in the long term. It has to end or we will have a whole generation of crazy and depressed people at best.
Yup. That's exactly what I reported end of December. I had a swollen lymph node on the back of my neck and a few nights of very vague, mild symptoms about a week before Christmas. The rest of the family had a definitive, but mild cold between the 19/20-25th. I tested negative on the 26th, but my younger son tested positive. His entire friend group tested positive between December 23 and 31st.

I went into work with the attitude of this not being an issue and made it a point to keep the two coworkers (who had also just found out) chilled. I had a coworker wondering if she need to cancel her big celebratory weekend and I told her not to give it another thought. The other was more or less reassuring themselves, but asked if I knew of a nearby testing facility (I did). Whatever. Let's just keep working.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:04 AM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Since you had a mild case it is impossible for others to get severely ill?

Old 02-05-2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
At dinner we sat next to this morbidly obese couple. He was coughing throughout dinner. She had a very difficult time walking even with assistance of her cane. Mid to late 50’s.

I think Covid could be devastating for a couple like this! All you have to do is think of all the other compromised morbidly obese 50+ year olds and then you realize the risk is real. No doubt.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

Except for whatever reason (was she sick yesterday???) she tested positive for Covid this morning. Suddenly not only did I have to take up slack for the person that didn't take my shift, but I also had to take on my manager's shift too, which starts a couple hours before mine. And at the same time I'm being asked to come in early I'm also being told by another manager to take a covid test.... Like, in the next 20 minutes? I'm sorry, but it's not like I keep covid tests around the house... not worth the money (or the wait if going the gov route). And if it's positive what are we going to do, just close the store at 10am? So dumb. I didn't reply. Instead I got ready and went into work.

I'm so tired of this.
Sounds like a beast of a day. Hope you have a better weekend.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:34 AM

I had a family member who caught Covid, likely the Delta variant. Distance runner, middle aged, he had a relatively hard time. Headaches, sensitive hearing, ringing, still hasn’t gotten his taste back fully. No health issues before then. Just remember, the disease is different for different people. It’s just bizarre that way. Even blood type makes a difference.

Last edited by Arcos; 02-05-2022 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 01:52 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's not just me. My family, many friends, relatives and co-workers had it in the last month and all had mild symptoms - 5 days at most. Most have two doses of vaccine but some are completely unvaccinated and still had mild cases. Delta was a lot worse even for healthy and young people, but Omicron so far looks like it mostly affect very old and very unhealthy people.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
My mother is in her mid 80’s
She is healthy and just got the sniffles.
She is not tripping about the mild cold/sniffle symptoms thing but asked if I cared.

Her plans are to drive up from San Francisco after she is done doing her taxes in the next day or so and help my daughter fix up her new place.
Sure she won’t do much but she likes to contribute and at least do the simple things.

I think this bug is bad on the unhealthy more so than the elderly.
Anyone in good health should not have severe problems from a mild cold.

If you need a walker because you are too obese and can’t put that twinkle or that bottle down, all I can say or rather think is “I’m sorry but it sucks to be you”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington