Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More scenic route through WA?
I-90 17 85.00%
I-5 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 02:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Definitely I-90. I5 is not scenic. Hwy 101 along the coast in Oregon is, then you could pick up I-5 north to Seattle if you're coming from the south.
If OP is driving RT (?)... West coast is best viewed and safest via southbound on 2 lane left coast US road (Not crossing traffic for stops and overlooks)

Of course OP can check the time frame of each route.

I usually double my time when taking coastal route vs I-5. (Traffic, stuff to see, driving through countless towns, getting behind that motorhome or log truck)

It is a nice route and I have plenty of favorite stops along the way.

If Interstate is required for OP's time frame... I would use I-90 as far east as Chicago / Madison, so as to capture state specific excursions WI (The Dells + House on the Rock) MN (Rochester area / Spam factory) SD (Wall Drug, Badlands, Black Hills) WY (Devil's Tower, Big Horns) MT (Beartooth, Virginia City, Mtn passes) ID (lakes and cities) WA (Spokane World Fair site), Columbia Basin. I-80 carries a lot of trucks, I-70 has KS... + Colorado Mtn Passes and really boring UT. BUT... also 'close enough' to add UT National Parks if timing is sufficient!

BTW... IF OP is driving RT... and doing (2) different routes... definately take the southern route 1st, and very early in June if possible. or... wait until Oct // Nov to return via southern route

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-29-2021 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 03:21 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I-5 from Portland to Seattle has some scenery but nothing compared with I-90 from Vantage to Seattle. Also I-5 can be like the Indy 500 with drivers just trying to beat the others in getting there. Plus more traffic on the 5.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:08 AM

136 posts, read 133,833 times
Thanks to everyone for the input. It definitely seems like I-90 is the winner here.

This trip is going to be one-way as we'll be moving to WA for the foreseeable future, but we definitely have time to make our way up here - a couple weeks, at the very least.

With that said, the spouse expressed a desire to visit family in San Diego (where we're from originally), so if we were to decide on making a stop there, would going up Highway 1 and/or 101 be a more visually appealing route as opposed to I-5?

Old 12-30-2021, 10:22 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I-90 would be superior scenery wise. Another option would be I-90 and then up through Wenatchee to Highway US-2 through Leavenworth and over Stevens Pass.
The most scenic route in the state is highway 20 thru the northern Cascades, although usually closed in the winter. Second is White pass (highway 12) open in the winter or Chinook Pass (highway 410) usually closed in the winter. Both White pass and Chinook passes close to Mount Rainier. Cayuse pass passing by the entrance to Mount Rainier park and a connection between Highway 12 and highway 410. Sherman pass in northeast Washington is also on my list.
But for a day trip or longer in the summer any of the above is the best of the best in this state.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:26 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston39 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input. It definitely seems like I-90 is the winner here.

This trip is going to be one-way as we'll be moving to WA for the foreseeable future, but we definitely have time to make our way up here - a couple weeks, at the very least.

With that said, the spouse expressed a desire to visit family in San Diego (where we're from originally), so if we were to decide on making a stop there, would going up Highway 1 and/or 101 be a more visually appealing route as opposed to I-5?
Up the coast on 101 is okay if you have a lot of time. Its a very slow route and getting behind a motorhome or truck can make seem longer. Most of 101 is two lanes in both Oregon and Washington. Not sure about California as I have never driven on 101 there.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:

101 is very scenic, can be slow but is spectacular. If you haven't driven the Oregon/California Coast before, it is very much worth it for the scenery. Also there are some nice small towns to stop in like Cannon Beach and Newport (great aquarium), and the dunes at Florence.

101 gets blocked from wrecks sometimes, then you are stuck (no way around them on certain stretches) so allow extra time.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:

If coming to PNW for a move, and... having family in SD... the likelihood of being back and forth on that route in the future are high, so... I'd pick a few spots on 1 / 101 that are a bit out of the way, and you may NOT want to detour to in the future, and take them on the way to SEA.

Examples....
    1. Between Santa Monica and Hearst Castle (Santa Barbara and Solvang / SLO area)
    2. Big Sur +/-... it is kinda long and curvy side trip.
    3. Santa Cruz to SF (Half Moon Bay) - easy to do later on an Escape-to-SUN trip to SF / Bay area / Pebble Beach - gotta LUV these frequent <$100 RT flights
    4. Bodega Bay (can fit into Wine Coutry Sun Breaks later)
    5. *** Redwoods *** <<<Do this<<< quite out of the way for quick trips to CA for SUN and family
    6. Southern OR coast +/-
    7. (Northern OR coast you can do during future storm watching escapes from SEA)
    8. Consider hopping inland after Redwoods to Oregon Caves / Crater Lake / Diamond Lake, Bend / Sisters, and down to Hood River, OR and take scenic Historic Highway into Portland (to Edgefields) for a smal taste of Portland, then you can see Mt Hood, Mt St Helens / Mt Rainier as you venture North.

On your I-10 route to SD, there are some decent stops near San Antonio (Which is a great place to fly to for winter sunbreaks (especially Thanksgiving to New Years (lighted towns, parades, Riverwalk))

Bandera and Fredericksburg (Luckenbach) are only about 20 min off I-10 and can still be decent in early June (weather and wildflowers). Junction, TX has some very nice camping / state park near river.

West of Junction... pretty ugly (I drive it at night)
Carlsbad, Ft Davis, Big Bend are nice side trips.
El Paso has some decent places to see.
Old Mesilla (Las Cruces, NM) is 2 min off I-10 and quite nice.

SE of Tucson you have Tombstone and Bisbee (another good Sun retreat for SEA winters)
Saguaro Park...
PIMA air museum..
Good local food.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:42 PM

Actually 101 in California runs mostly inland. It starts in LA and does run along the coast to just past Santa Barbara. Then it goes inland except a short stretch near Pismo Beach. It doesn’t reach the coast again for over 500 miles at the far northern city of Eureka. If you want the full or almost full coastal 101, Oregon is your best bet.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The most scenic route in the state is highway 20 thru the northern Cascades, although usually closed in the winter. Second is White pass (highway 12) open in the winter or Chinook Pass (highway 410) usually closed in the winter. Both White pass and Chinook passes close to Mount Rainier. Cayuse pass passing by the entrance to Mount Rainier park and a connection between Highway 12 and highway 410. Sherman pass in northeast Washington is also on my list.
But for a day trip or longer in the summer any of the above is the best of the best in this state.
WA 20 is always closed before Rainy Pass in winter.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-30-2021 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-31-2021, 07:27 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
For sure I-90, lots to see right from the car. Stop in atmospheric Livingston Montana and use that to access Yellowstone. Spokane is prettier than people know. The approach crossing the Columbia River at Vantage, heading up and over the Cascades and into Seattle is really pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington