Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:03 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

I used to live in PT, renting a (let’s just call it) substandard place for a few months as our own house was in the last stages of being built.

Your rental range is too low for PT. It was on the low side at least 6 years ago, assuming you require a decent neighborhood and something bigger than a glorified shed. And judging by the way things went since then, rent didn’t go down in the years after that.

Blocks that used to have 1/8 acre or 1/4 acre lots with medium size homes on them have sprouted ADUs so that the entire block looks like an urban infill. I don’t think most of those are intended as tenant rentals. And who wants to be jammed in that tightly anyway, on the equivalent of 1/16 acre? Most likely will be “guest cottages,” a.k.a. Air BnB cash cows.

Slightly farther away, a street that WAS moderately priced newer family-raising homes on 1/4 acre lots has turned into a hangout for druggie/drunk/violently-inclined bums spreading out from their squatting domicile, FORMERLY the county fairgrounds and public campground (a genuine campground until the bums moved in).

PT has its cutesy tourist face that the powers-that-be zealously promote. That veneer is getting thinner and thinner. Like see-through thin.

The natural beauty is there, and hopefully people won’t destroy that, too. BUTbutbutbut you stated a desire to have city things nearby. If this means “Seattle” to you, beware the Hood Canal Bridge! The delays caused by it can be hours. My neighbor missed a medical apptmt sitting there waiting. Seems like everyone had similar delays at some time, or many times. I actually stayed one night in a SeaTac hotel just to make sure I would not miss a late-morning flight the next day.

PT felt like a town with very rich people and very poor people, and not much of a middle class.

Last edited by pikabike; 02-07-2022 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 08:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Luv the twist on ALL us rural smut in WA.

So Californian !

Enjoy your suburban digs, privacy fencing, friendly and loving neighbors!!!.... And....screwing up our rural locations using them for your frequent recreation! I just got the usual weekend dose of that in rural California! Perfect, a familiar home, WA is becoming just like it! Congratulations, soon to succeed as has Colorado... Reservations for NP, campgrounds, hiking, wildernesses. Those hanging out all day on the fastest internet get to nab ALL the rural recreation. (And Covid tests and vaccines). What a wonderful quality of life for all, just like home. (As you desire it).

Old 02-08-2022, 09:45 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I used to live in PT, renting a (let’s just call it) substandard place for a few months as our own house was in the last stages of being built.

Your rental range is too low for PT. It was on the low side at least 6 years ago, assuming you require a decent neighborhood and something bigger than a glorified shed. And judging by the way things went since then, rent didn’t go down in the years after that.

Blocks that used to have 1/8 acre or 1/4 acre lots with medium size homes on them have sprouted ADUs so that the entire block looks like an urban infill. I don’t think most of those are intended as tenant rentals. And who wants to be jammed in that tightly anyway, on the equivalent of 1/16 acre? Most likely will be “guest cottages,” a.k.a. Air BnB cash cows.
I remember that. There were very nice 3-br. houses available very affordably. Quite a few over a couple of years.Then, suddenly....there weren't. They were gone. *POOF* It took awhile for me to find out what had happened. I have friends there, and even they didn't know. But eventually the truth came out (thanks, in part, to pika, here ^^^): they'd been sold or turned into Air B&B's. Now you really have to scrape to find a rental, mostly you'll turn up old 1-br. cottages. The son of a friend in Seattle said, he went to Pt T and drove around looking for "for rent" signs, and found an old farmhouse outside of town. Apparently that's a VERY rare occurrence. He was extremely lucky.

I went there to see if I could scout something out. Talking to people around town, I was told that all the rentals now pretty much go by word-of-mouth. You can find a few by checking the local newspaper online regularly. Otherwise, you pretty much need "connecciones". I got a listing from the local paper and called. It was a couple, former residents of Pt T who moved to Alaska, but kept their home in Pt T as a rental. I kept their number for future reference. Those places are rare.

Alternatively, you could look for rentals and have better luck in Port Hadlock and Chimacum. There's more availability in Pt Hadlock. Chimacum is small, but rents are cheaper, when something opens up. You may also find rentals outside the city limits of Pt T. Also check the property management companies in Pt T. There may be listings there that aren't on sites like Craigslist.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

So Californian !

Enjoy your suburban digs, privacy fencing, friendly and loving neighbors!!!.... And....screwing up our rural locations using them for your frequent recreation! I just got the usual weekend dose of that in rural California! Perfect, a familiar home, WA is becoming just like it! Congratulations, soon to succeed as has Colorado... Reservations for NP, campgrounds, hiking, wildernesses. Those hanging out all day on the fastest internet get to nab ALL the rural recreation. (And Covid tests and vaccines). What a wonderful quality of life for all, just like home. (As you desire it).
If you are addressing me, I never lived in CA and I don’t care about “smut” as long as they aren’t committing crimes.

The substandard rental place (NOT owned by “smut”) I lived in for a few months in PT had the following problems that I can remember off the top of my head:

- Unventilated propane heater in wall
- Gas range burner less than 6” from drywall (nothing in between)
- Paper towel hanger immediately above that burner
- No electrical ground at all
- No bathroom sink, though there was a toilet
- No insulation in walls or floor

There were a total of 10 problems, but I don’t remember the rest of them. The above were the most hazardous.

Yeah, at least it was cheap, and temporary. I don’t think OP would want to rent a place like that, no matter how cheap.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I remember that. There were very nice 3-br. houses available very affordably. Quite a few over a couple of years.Then, suddenly....there weren't. They were gone. *POOF* It took awhile for me to find out what had happened. I have friends there, and even they didn't know. But eventually the truth came out (thanks, in part, to pika, here ^^^): they'd been sold or turned into Air B&B's. Now you really have to scrape to find a rental, mostly you'll turn up old 1-br. cottages. The son of a friend in Seattle said, he went to Pt T and drove around looking for "for rent" signs, and found an old farmhouse outside of town. Apparently that's a VERY rare occurrence. He was extremely lucky.

I went there to see if I could scout something out. Talking to people around town, I was told that all the rentals now pretty much go by word-of-mouth. You can find a few by checking the local newspaper online regularly. Otherwise, you pretty much need "connecciones". I got a listing from the local paper and called. It was a couple, former residents of Pt T who moved to Alaska, but kept their home in Pt T as a rental. I kept their number for future reference. Those places are rare.

Alternatively, you could look for rentals and have better luck in Port Hadlock and Chimacum. There's more availability in Pt Hadlock. Chimacum is small, but rents are cheaper, when something opens up. You may also find rentals outside the city limits of Pt T. Also check the property management companies in Pt T. There may be listings there that aren't on sites like Craigslist.
It ramped up starting in summer of 2015. Some people were panic buying and bidding wars became more common.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:28 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

So Californian !
Yeah everyone seems a little grumpy this morning.

I'll be cheerful and optimistic just to provide balance!

It's so foggy out this morning, I can barely see the confederate flag on the shack next door.

PS - Apologies to the OP! - Mostly joking! Obviously, no place is perfect, but I do think this area is still pretty good, warts and grumps and all

Old 02-08-2022, 10:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
My daughters boyfriend is giving up a decent 3-2 house in PT he is renting to move in with her.
His rent is $1,600 per month.

I live in the sticks far away from everything and found urban smugness in those statements as well.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Yes apologies to the original poster.
Most all these peeps here are really nice.
This is our version of living in the sticks.
Attached Thumbnails
moving to WA-c4192b5d-95c6-4adb-8551-a6d67fb2cf35.jpeg  

Old 02-08-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It ramped up starting in summer of 2015. Some people were panic buying and bidding wars became more common.
Oct. 2015 is exactly when I was there. After the good rentals vanished that summer. Crazy.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
My daughters boyfriend is giving up a decent 3-2 house in PT he is renting to move in with her.
His rent is $1,600 per month.

I live in the sticks far away from everything and found urban smugness in those statements as well.
My recollection is, that when I was looking (2014-15), those were going for around $1200. And some were nice: craftsman style, or other historical styles in good condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington