Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,499 times

Advertisements

Hi folks !

My husband got a great job offer from a well known company in Everitt WA which we are seriously considering.
Besides being once invited to a wedding in Seattle we haven't seen a lot of Washington State

We are currently living in a suburban small town in Massachusetts with top notch schools.
You can imagine that our main "concern" starting this new adventure is schools, community, and prices for housing.

Besides that we're have not a lot of info in regards to living costs in WA (need to do plenty of research).

I wanted to hear about your experiences in the area, in the state of Washington.
Considering work is in Everitt, which town would you recommend for a family of 4 with elementary school age children? Any other info for a newcomer to WA is greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 02:57 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I would start as close as you can get to your work, and work your way out. At least before the pandemic, commute traffic was major consideration. I wouldn't build-in a long commute into your life right off the bat if you don't have to. Lot of nice areas up there in the North End.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
For working in Everett, and needing good schools for kids, I would recommend Lake Stevens or Snohomish. Diana is right, you don't want to commute north from closer to Seattle and the Eastside, even now with many still working from home it's a nightmare commute. I would not consider Everett or Marysville with school kids.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would start as close as you can get to your work, and work your way out. At least before the pandemic, commute traffic was major consideration. I wouldn't build-in a long commute into your life right off the bat if you don't have to. Lot of nice areas up there in the North End.

Thank you, thats good to know!

What are the preferred areas for families close to Everitt? And how are the prices for decent houses in those areas (give or take)?

Old 02-08-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For working in Everett, and needing good schools for kids, I would recommend Lake Stevens or Snohomish. Diana is right, you don't want to commute north from closer to Seattle and the Eastside, even now with many still working from home it's a nightmare commute. I would not consider Everett or Marysville with school kids.
Thank you! I will look into those towns !

How expensive/affordable would you say are those areas? My husband will make around 180k, i just wanna get an idea of how doable that is with the crazy housing market all across the country

Old 02-08-2022, 03:40 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
I recommend Edmonds if you're working in Everett and can afford it. Decent schools and not as bad of a commute as Lake Stevens or Snohomish, depending on where in Everett you are working of course.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I second the vote for Edmonds. Cute downtown, located right on the water. You might find some affordable properties up the hill toward Lynnwood, but still in Edmonds. Don't get too close to Hwy 99, though.

Will you be bringing equity with you? Selling your place in Mass? Take a look at RE listings for Everett and also Lake Stevens, while you're at it. Check out Mukilteo, too. See if you find something close to your ballpark budget.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I second the vote for Edmonds. Cute downtown, located right on the water. You might find some affordable properties up the hill toward Lynnwood, but still in Edmonds. Don't get too close to Hwy 99, though.

Will you be bringing equity with you? Selling your place in Mass? Take a look at RE listings for Everett and also Lake Stevens, while you're at it. Check out Mukilteo, too. See if you find something close to your ballpark budget.

Thank you for the info!

We are planning on selling our property here but to be honest everything on Zillow that we saw so far (2000 sqft and up) is up in the 900-1mil $ range
Especially looking up schools it seems like they are not rated as good, or does anyone else has other experiences?

Old 02-09-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingafar View Post
Thank you for the info!

We are planning on selling our property here but to be honest everything on Zillow that we saw so far (2000 sqft and up) is up in the 900-1mil $ range
Especially looking up schools it seems like they are not rated as good, or does anyone else has other experiences?
I found some listings in Edmonds that were below 1 mill. just a few days ago for someone else, around 2000 -2200 sq. ft. Look at realtor.com. There's a public HS in Edmonds that has an International Baccalaureate degree. I think Edmonds schools are fine.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:19 PM

Here's one that's pending. The point is, they do exist in your price range with your criteria.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M17851-53152

This one's available:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M14104-31505

Another one pending:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M25776-20939

This one's available, and it's a steal, IMO:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M26590-53321

Another one:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M23408-90003

Some of these are on double lots, too, which is nice. It means you're not squeezed in between the neighbors, you get some privacy, and typically have some nice trees and landscaping in the yard.

Another one that's pending:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M11736-74155

Here's one that some lucky soul grabbed for $550K--
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M10449-57589. 2700 sq. feet 3 blocks from the beach on over 1/4 acre. That could have been you, if you'd started looking a bit earlier.

You can see, OP, that there's plenty of stock in your price range that's in good condition, good lot, etc., but they're getting snapped up. So you need to improve your search skills, and you'll need to be the first one to make an offer when you find something that will work for you, and you may have to offer a little over the asking price to beat out the competition. While you're posting here online saying there's nothing available under $900K, people are snapping up the $800K homes. You need to get on the stick, get a good agent, and get cracking!

Good luck! Let us know if something works out. We love updates!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-09-2022 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington