Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: High Capacity Magazine Ban
Yes I support the proposed ban. 15 30.61%
No I do not support the proposed ban. 34 69.39%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 06:58 PM

14,456 posts, read 12,059,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Why are high capacity magazines needed, then, if there is little noticeable difference?

It's not really about someone deciding what others NEED in a free country. It's about what should be LIMITED. You need a good reason to limit the rights of others, not the other way around.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-10-2022 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 07:48 PM

8,212 posts, read 16,677,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't necessarily agree that we will have a ban. We've lost a little ground in the last few years, but WA has always had a lot of hunters and outdoorsmen, and sensible gun laws. Not a lot in common with NY on this.
I'm not here to debate which is futile since everyone's minds are already made up here and probably have been that way for decades. Not gonna change what's already locked and loaded (pun intended).

But for those who follow what's happening, it's more likely to become law than not this time around since it has now passed both house and senate. The only thing left is for the governor to sign it into law which he already said he would do.

State Legislature Bans Sale Of High-Capacity Magazines In Washington

Derek

Old 03-10-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I'm not here to debate which is futile since everyone's minds are already made up here and probably have been that way for decades. Not gonna change what's already locked and loaded (pun intended).

But for those who follow what's happening, it's more likely to become law than not this time around since it has now passed both house and senate. The only thing left is for the governor to sign it into law which he already said he would do.

State Legislature Bans Sale Of High-Capacity Magazines In Washington

Derek
Thanks for the update. Hadn't been following it. Rats.

One more thing to undo when people realize it was a bad idea.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 890,323 times
Quote:
It's not really about someone deciding what others NEED in a free country. It's about what should be LIMITED. You need a good reason to limit the rights of others, not the other way around.
Stats have been provided to support this ban. Whether those stats are enough or not are for each of us to decide I suppose. What I don't care for is lack of factual information and opinion stated as fact, which is what was going on with the poster I responded to. Context matters Diana.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:19 AM

301 posts, read 175,487 times
Quote:
Stats have been provided to support this ban. Whether those stats are enough or not are for each of us to decide I suppose. What I don't care for is lack of factual information and opinion stated as fact, which is what was going on with the poster I responded to. Context matters Diana.
Trust their science and read their fact checkers? I heard that before. So somebody provides a stat, interprets it like a clown, and says it's the solution to a problem that they created.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman05 View Post
Trust their science and read their fact checkers? I heard that before. So somebody provides a stat, interprets it like a clown, and says it's the solution to a problem that they created.
I’m sure they’d welcome your expert level peer review.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about? You asked why large capacity magazines are "needed". That doesn't call for a factual or statistical answer it will be an opinion. I gave my opinion.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? You asked why large capacity magazines are "needed". That doesn't call for a factual or statistical answer it will be an opinion. I gave my opinion.
In this thread stats supporting the ban were posted by me. I’m not going to repost everything people forget or ignore, thus within the context of the thread I’d like to know why they’re needed since this studies show banning them helps.

Old 03-12-2022, 04:10 PM

432 posts, read 359,080 times
Quote:
In this thread stats supporting the ban were posted by me. I’m not going to repost everything people forget or ignore, thus within the context of the thread I’d like to know why they’re needed since this studies show banning them helps.
I'll bite, though I can't imagine it'll help.

If I own a firearm for self defense, but in case of home invasion I can only stop one person who kindly moves slowly in good light, then advantage invaders, and frankly it's important to me to reduce their already-great advantage as much as possible. Personally, I don't need multiple guns, or a so-called "assault rifle" with a 30-round banana clip.

What I would like to be able to do is to buy a new Glock 19, for example, which comes standard in 9 mm with 15-round magazines. This will no longer be possible in Washington State, once the bill is signed.

Studies that show benefits to society of lower-capacity magazines in the hands of attackers are irrelevant to the needs of defenders, which describes me and probably most of the people with whom you're arguing.

Old 03-12-2022, 04:45 PM

Good post. ^

Not interested in studies about mass shooters.

I am interested in not limiting choices for any of the good guys, including myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington