Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 09:11 AM

148 posts, read 290,713 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!
My husband secured a space job in Kent and we are moving mid- May.
We are flying up next week to secure a rental house.
So far , there seem to be a lot of rentals in Puyallup and all of them seem to be HOAs.
Are there other towns we should be looking at that would be a manageable (45 minutes or less) commute to Kent, or should we consider Kent itself?
We can afford up to around $3,500, and we have cats.
Thank you in advance for ideas, suggestions, website advice, etc.
We are thrilled to be exiting Colorado at last after such a long detour into misery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 10:13 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
Hello everybody!
So far , there seem to be a lot of rentals in Puyallup and all of them seem to be HOAs.
Are there other towns we should be looking at that would be a manageable (45 minutes or less) commute to Kent, or should we consider Kent itself?
We are thrilled to be exiting Colorado at last after such a long detour into misery!
Congrats and welcome to the area. There is some good properties in Kent but also look to Renton, Federal Way, Auburn, Burien, Des Moines.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:35 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Kent:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...48896511_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49057742_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...12896545_zpid/

Old 04-10-2022, 10:13 PM

148 posts, read 290,713 times
Ok ,thanks to you both!
I'm sure we'll find something when we fly in on Wednesday and if we don't, we can always use the employer-generated 30 day temporary housing benefit and look locally until we find a fit.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:33 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
Hello everybody!
I take it you mean the Boeing Kent space center....I worked at this Space center for about a year and lived on East Hill which was an easy commute down the hill to the center. Stay away from any commute that involves a trip by the Valley freeway as it almost always jammed with traffic no matter the time of day.
East Hill or West Hill would be ideal with plenty of apartment buildings on both hills. If you want a rental house a longer commute would be required but should be available on both hills.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:27 PM

24 posts, read 20,117 times
I would check it out before commiting to anything in Kent. Our oldest son relocated to WA for a job at Micfosoft. Redmond (where Microsoft is) was too pricey for him to start at and he was pressed for time to "find something", settled for Kent. Turned out he could have afforded more closer to Redmond but had already signed a one year lease in Kent. He said it was the longest year of his life living there. Not in a good way.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:54 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestImp View Post
I would check it out before commiting to anything in Kent. Our oldest son relocated to WA for a job at Micfosoft. Redmond (where Microsoft is) was too pricey for him to start at and he was pressed for time to "find something", settled for Kent. Turned out he could have afforded more closer to Redmond but had already signed a one year lease in Kent. He said it was the longest year of his life living there. Not in a good way.
What was your son's problem with the Kent area? I lived there (East Hill) for 34+ years and found it most attractive and easy to get around.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestImp View Post
Was that because of the commute or Kent in general? Kent has good and bad like many places, it's not the Urban core that larger cities have but plenty livable.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:53 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,838 times
I’m not familiar with the area and don’t have helpful tips except to give my opinion on commuting, which is that it should be avoided as much as reasonable. I consider it valuable time lost and also costly. Much better to compromise on the size of the home and enjoy the free time to actually, you know… live?

In terms of expenses, of course, there’s car costs, public transport costs, less time spent cooking because you are tired, added stress… minimize, minimize!

That’s my rant, best of luck and I hope you will enjoy the PacNW. It’s beautiful here.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
I’m not familiar with the area and don’t have helpful tips except to give my opinion on commuting, which is that it should be avoided as much as reasonable. I consider it valuable time lost and also costly. Much better to compromise on the size of the home and enjoy the free time to actually, you know… live?

In terms of expenses, of course, there’s car costs, public transport costs, less time spent cooking because you are tired, added stress… minimize, minimize!

That’s my rant, best of luck and I hope you will enjoy the PacNW. It’s beautiful here.
I agree, my commute is under 2 miles and I love it.
If OP's husband works in Kent then a good Kent neighborhood is likely nearby and they'll be affording better property then if they settled further North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington