Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 10:30 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think this 2030 deadline is unrealistic. This seems to be political positioning, in an effort to show concern for our environmental governor. He knows the system. And can continue to for the rest of his life. I fully expect Inslee will continue to run again for POTUS, but may still the odd man out.
A 2030 deadline seems like a political stunt to me. Where he can weirdly say during a primary, "oh I'm more environmentally friendly and green by setting a quicker EV date than other politicians!"

Honestly, why does a deadline need to be set like this? Sure perhaps EV vehicles will probably outsell ICE/gas cars over time, but let customers decide whether they prefer that, not the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 10:31 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
A lot of people make a big deal over how we don't have the infrastructure for electric charging, but they never specify how far off we are. I don't think they actually know what capacity we have and what we need of what type.

One of the great things about electric chargers is that you can turn pretty much any parking space into a charging space, you don't need huge tanks of volatile liquids than need to be refilled regularly. So if you don't have a charger at/by your home and you only need to recharge once per week then you can do it while getting groceries at the supermarket or shopping at the mall.
In my town (Sequim) we now have two parking lots that have multiple plug in stations, one in the old PUD parking lot on West Washington and the other behind Holiday Inn on the far West end of Sequim. Not sure if there are others. If anyone knows of other plug in stations would be helpful.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think this 2030 deadline is unrealistic. This seems to be political positioning, in an effort to show concern for our environmental governor. He knows the system. And can continue to for the rest of his life. I fully expect Inslee will continue to run again for POTUS, but may still the odd man out.
Like Trump changed the amount of café standards for MPG and Biden changed them back, this could be changed. A lot could happen with the governor and state leadership before 2030. I am hearing of more and more people becoming dissatisfied with the current state administration, despite voting for them.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:24 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
I do think that some form of EV will be the future (hydrogen fuel cells still might end up taking over lithium/chemical batteries for example), they are superior in every way (except energy storage which will eventually get solved) but as others pointed out 2030 isn’t a realistic goal. I think it would be more realistic to switch over to hybrids, or push for higher MPG standards, as well as getting people to walk/bike/ ride public transit more.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,969 times
I would have set a goal for plug in hybrids, personally. And I would have backed that up with a comprehensive study and a comprehensive plan.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Unless you have a lot of year round pasture, how you going to feed the mule when the farmers can't get their hay to market or their grain to market?

Is there going to be grain? Will the farmer be able to get the diesel fuel to run the combine?
Daily walks on road verges should do it , plus that’s less weed management for the DOT, which will lose out on the gas tax revenue.

)

Old 04-28-2022, 03:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I do think that some form of EV will be the future.... push for higher MPG standards, as well as getting people to walk/bike/ ride public transit more.
yes, conservation / reduction in energy use is critical to success. (Each user and household should be required to reduce 10% / yr and be incentized for greater reductions and contributions to technologies / applications that are energy neutral or benefit.

+ Higher mileage stds, like the 50 mpg we were able to achieve over 40 yrs ago. (1974 oil embargo)

We could have nipped this very easily 40 yrs ago.

A comprehensive USA energy policy would be a big plus.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:06 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
You have mule?
Yes, IMO, much calmer than a horse, although I do like horses.

How do you think I get to town???? (jk)

Last edited by happygrrrl; 04-29-2022 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: Spellcheck has lost its mind

Old 04-29-2022, 04:16 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
Quote:
Unless you have a lot of year round pasture, how you going to feed the mule when the farmers can't get their hay to market or their grain to market?

Is there going to be grain? Will the farmer be able to get the diesel fuel to run the combine?
Everyone around me has livestock, so I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I know this isn’t a real serious discussion, but electrification of personal vehicles, in theory, would reduce diesel costs for farmers. This law isn’t about electrifying farm equipment. And serious commercial farmers don’t take their grain and hay to ‘market’ in the backs of personal vehicles… this isn’t 1880.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington