Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 10:06 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times

Advertisements

Illegal migration wrecks havoc on our school system as well.
The last few years the way the teachers union have treated the kids it doesn’t seem like that would bother them much though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 11:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
School systems have certain legal criteria that explains their positions. Don’t agree, attend school board meetings.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:03 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
*sigh* where to begin… you obviously don’t really follow or understand politics.

First of all, Biden would not have chastised Republicans over the infrastructure bill because McConnell and several members of the Senate GOP voted FOR the infrastructure bill. In fact, McConnell called it ‘a godsend’

https://www.businessinsider.com/mitc...ks-2021-11?amp

And of course, Trump attacked McConnell for his and Biden’s bipartisanship.

So, by your own error, you allow me to prove my point.

Now, you MEANT to say ‘IRA bill’ which is the misnamed ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ that doesn’t *really* reduce inflation. Biden chastised Republicans for not voting for it, so basically complaining that they weren’t acting in a bipartisan manner. Why? Because the IRA pays down the deficit, and has lots of goodies for the oil and gas industry, so you’d think that the GOP would at least get in the mix, propose some serious amendments and perhaps make the bill more palatable for the right and then vote for it.

But they didn’t. Still, because Democratic Senator Manchin is quite conservative, he made sure the bill had things in it for both sides.

Once again, the Democratic Party is always ready to make a deal if it allows America to make progress against problems. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t ‘call out’ the other side, that’s perfectly fine, we don’t have to pretend we love each other. State your differences and then work them out!
Really?

Was Biden's speech yesterday bipartisan?

Even the liberal big 3 networks wouldn't televise it, because they were afraid that he would be too partisan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media...pendence-hall/

He's just so angry at Trump. Trump and his fiends and all those young whippersnappers walking on his lawn...

Old 09-02-2022, 02:23 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Really?

Was Biden's speech yesterday bipartisan?

Even the liberal big 3 networks wouldn't televise it, because they were afraid that he would be too partisan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media...pendence-hall/

He's just so angry at Trump. Trump and his fiends and all those young whippersnappers walking on his lawn...
Again, being bipartisan means you find common cause with people across the aisle. Yes, it wasn’t a gentle, kumbaya speech. He called out people lying and actively trying to destroy our institutions in a blind quest for power. And he called for common cause with those in the Republican Party who reject trumpism, violence, promoting lies, etc. He didn’t call for them to support HIM, he called for them to support THE COUNTRY and the CONSTITUTION.

Bipartisan doesn’t mean that you just lie down and pretend everything is ok.

McConnell and I think about 13 Republican senators voted for the infrastructure bill. That is a fact. That is a bipartisan action. And there is more… some partisan, some bipartisan.

“Aug 2022:
… the president last week signed two bipartisan bills aimed at cracking down on COVID-19 relief program fraud. That followed passage of a $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill and a gun safety package that was far from sweeping but nonetheless bipartisan – and the first gun control legislation to pass in nearly three decades.

This week, Biden will sign bipartisan measures to guarantee health care coverage for veterans sickened after being exposed to toxic "burn pits" and to fund domestic production of semiconductors.

Meanwhile, Congress spent the weekend on what was arguably Biden and the Democrats'' biggest – and most partisan – achievement: party-line passage of a measure that invests $369 billion to address climate change, forces companies to pay something in taxes, allows Medicare to negotiate drug prices and reduces the deficit by another $300 billion.”

And even that last, partisan bill contained plenty in it for Republicans to cheer.

Biden’s most happy when being bipartisan. It appeals to his very core as a patriotic American.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:09 AM

3,096 posts, read 2,220,033 times
I do not know why Biden's speech is on this thread but agree wholeheartedly with Arco. All these people concerned about bipartisanship did not have any qualms about such matters when Trump was tearing up the rule book as the president. Laying dead to Fascism isn't a strategy.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:39 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I do not know why Biden's speech is on this thread but agree wholeheartedly with Arco. All these people concerned about bipartisanship did not have any qualms about such matters when Trump was tearing up the rule book as the president. Laying dead to Fascism isn't a strategy.
I assume that you are replying to my comment about Biden being partisan, which he is. Extremely.

And despite your stereotype, I didn't vote for Trump. Unlike Arco, I don't think anyone on either side is perfect.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:41 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,220,033 times
Quote:
I assume that you are replying to my comment about Biden being partisan, which he is. Extremely.

And despite your stereotype, I didn't vote for Trump. Unlike Arco, I don't think anyone on either side is perfect.
Yes I was. I don’t think anyone on either side is perfect; I do not know what Armco thinks but it did to come across that he/she did either. Regardless, all the people talking bipartisanship were nowhere to be seen in the mayhem that we suffered through for 4 years. And, bipartisanship equates to no useful governance if the other party is simply interested in blocking everything - which Republicans are. It was the tactic used by McConnell against Obama and hasn’t changed a whole lot. So, this carping about bipartisanship is just that.

And, I say this when I don’t particularly care for Biden or Democrats. But the recent noise about partisanship is coming from the speech about risk to democracy and Biden is right on. People didn’t need Biden to tell them that - they could see it in the Trump presidency. The Trump worship is a threat to our democracy, and that’s the biggest thing the democrats have going in their favor.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,969 times
Quote:

Biden isn’t perfect. No one is. For example his student loan forgiveness is bad policy. But if you want to judge his partisanship or bipartisanship, the laws that he signed are more weighty than any one speech.

People expect bipartisanship to be some magical middle ground where there’s no controversy or disagreement. That exists, for sure. And we NEVER HEAR ABOUT THAT IN THE NEWS because we don’t care! We already agree on that stuff, it’s easy and not controversial.

Where we need bipartisanship is on the difficult issues where there is little agreement. So, the gun law that Biden signed. The infrastructure bill, which is expensive. The semiconductor bill, which will not yield results in a single election cycle. Complex issues where people who disagree on approaches spend months discussing them. And where that hard work is dismissed by a headline or an op-Ed where the thesis has been decided by the slant of that news source well before any thought is given as to whether that bill is good for the country or not.

Last edited by Arcos; 09-05-2022 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington