Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 41,030 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I moved to Grants Pass OR in 2018 from the the North East in order to get away from the cold winters there. I've loved the climate here in Southern Oregon, however I haven't been able to get used to the smoke and wildfires. They seem to be getting worse and so I'm looking to relocate once again. I am considering the Willamette Valley (Eugene, Corvallis, Albany, Salem) and also expanding my search to include WA from Vancouver to Olympia. I'm not particularly interested in Portland and Tacoma-Seattle.

My concerns are about the homelessness which is a ubiquitous problem all over the West Coast and even here in Grants Pass.

How bad is it in Olympia? How have the fire seasons been there? Do you get a lot of smoke from fires from elsewhere?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 07:20 PM

Smile Looking to escape the wild fires in Southern Oregon

Greetings,

I moved to Grants Pass OR in 2018 from the the North East in order to get away from the cold winters there. I've loved the climate here in Southern Oregon, however I haven't been able to get used to the smoke and wildfires. They seem to be getting worse and so I'm looking to relocate once again. I am considering the Willamette Valley (Eugene, Corvallis, Albany, Salem) and also expanding my search to include WA from Vancouver to Olympia. I'm not particularly interested in Portland and Tacoma-Seattle.

My concerns are about the homelessness/crime which is a ubiquitous problem all over the West Coast and even here in Grants Pass.

How bad is it in Vancouver and Longview? How have the fire seasons been there? Do you get a lot of smoke from fires from elsewhere?

Thank you

Old 08-29-2022, 07:22 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
If you're not interested in Seattle, you should post this in the main Washington section, not the Seattle Subforum. I'm from just south of Olympia and don't normally answer Seattle threads.

FWIW, we don't have seasonal fires here, but in past years, we've had days or weeks with smoke from elsewhere.

This year, (knock on wood) we haven't had any of those days. Small local grass fires because I live on the prairie down here, but those are relatively speaking, small and short lived. It's been a very good summer. "smoke from fires" has never been something that was a chronic issue, it is mostly something that happens with very particular weather phenomenon.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:49 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Olympia has a substantial homeless population. May be less of an issue in the burbs (Lacey, Tumwater), not sure.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:00 PM

Thank you for your reply. I shall post a new thread in the main WA forum as you suggest.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:22 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Olympia has a substantial homeless population. May be less of an issue in the burbs (Lacey, Tumwater), not sure.

MUCH less of an issue in the suburbs, I might say especially in Tumwater.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:24 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I travel back and forth to the Bay Area every 4-6 weeks or so for the last several years.
During times of fires I see smoke start in your area and worsen as I get to the Medford area.
For the most part from what I’ve seen is that Grants Pass is way better off than Medford even though they are relatively close.
Medford has looked like a smokey fog bank more times than I care to remember.

Our area near Blyn has only had noticeable smoke for a day and a half before it got blown away that I recall in the last 4 years and the weather is kinda nice.
I imagine west of Olympia closer to the water smoke would be less of an issue.

I think the “new norm” is that now all cities (larger than rural) now have the homeless, drug and property crime problems .
Nice huh?

Old 08-30-2022, 08:42 AM

15,823 posts, read 6,532,470 times
Summer smoke is probably going to be a regular event in the West coast states now. We've had our smokey days here in Seattle over the past few years; a lot of it came down from Canada.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:43 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
We have had one season of smoke on Whidbey island. The rest of the time it's gorgeous and no mainland homelessness and crime.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:47 AM

Thank you for your replies. The impression I am getting is that smoke and fires are just something we will have to learn to live with. Some places have a lot less than others, but nowhere is completely free from them on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington