Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 10:17 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

We "have the best State Supreme Court money can buy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 10:46 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tab and weight Fees were capped by voter initiative.
Did you not vote for I-976?

(of course the WA Supreme Ct had their say)
"CAR TAB CONTROVERSY
Voter-approved Initiative 976 to lower car tabs unconstitutional, state supreme court rules"
Yes I voted for that initiative but I didn't get a vote on surcharges on my wife's hybrid or on the EV fees. which seemed to be a round about way around the tab fee.

Side note: With the cost of an EV going up (The day the EV mandate went into effect most EV manufacturers increased their cost by almost the same amount as the government tax credit) and the added surcharge will make it harder for the middle/lower class of citizens to afford an EV by 2035.
https://lidblog.com/bidens-ev-tax-credit/

Notice in the following web site that the less expensive EV's the lower the distance it can last on a charge. Also note that the cost are base prices.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ric-car-prices

Old 10-21-2022, 04:56 AM

367 posts, read 304,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Recession begins in January 2023 probably lasts about 18 months. Should be out by summer ‘24. Prepare.
Biden’s recession began 2nd quarter of 2022.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
Biden’s recession began 2nd quarter of 2022.
Agree...two quarter of negative growth is considered a recession. It just that the Biden administration is in denial for political reasons.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:41 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Yes I voted for that initiative but I didn't get a vote on surcharges on my wife's hybrid or on the EV fees. which seemed to be a round about way around the tab fee.

Side note: With the cost of an EV going up (The day the EV mandate went into effect most EV manufacturers increased their cost by almost the same amount as the government tax credit) and the added surcharge will make it harder for the middle/lower class of citizens to afford an EV by 2035.
https://lidblog.com/bidens-ev-tax-credit/

Notice in the following web site that the less expensive EV's the lower the distance it can last on a charge. Also note that the cost are base prices.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ric-car-prices
I agree, I saw this as well. In a few years the base model Tesla went from $30k ish to almost $70K.
What I'm concerned about is these idiots wanting to take out the hydro dams yet they want everyone to have electric cars. We're already seeing select grids here in Bellingham/Whatcom county get overloaded during extreme heat and cold times and throw "switches" (we saw a flash and sparks up on a pole near work-power went out-and that's what the PSE guy called it and said the grid was overloaded with everyones A/C cranking). I'm not feeling comfortable that we'll have reliable power in the near future for all these electric cars.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:42 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
^The longer a recession lasts, the better for the next Administration. If you don't like Biden, then should be praying for a recession.
Personally, I am rooting for a shallow and bumpy recession to set up a prolonged recovery.
JMO, we are in the midst of the Great Population reset. No longer will Humankind see population growth but a population fall and on the order of the Black Plaque pandemics and population collapse.
YPMV

Old 10-22-2022, 09:14 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^The longer a recession lasts, the better for the next Administration. If you don't like Biden, then should be praying for a recession.
As we know,

With the consistent inflation, people are feeling it and the incumbents almost always pay at the polls.

The Fed is in the driver's seat (in addition to other factors).

After each rate increase is usually takes 6 months or so for the effects to be felt.

Although we're technically in a recession now the Fed is going to engineer increase in unemployment. We'll keep seeing .75 increases for a while. A full 1 point raise next time is not out of the question.

World wide inflation, strengthening dollar causing pain, and some currencies are declining.

Worldwide recession.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I agree, I saw this as well. In a few years the base model Tesla went from $30k ish to almost $70K.
What I'm concerned about is these idiots wanting to take out the hydro dams yet they want everyone to have electric cars. We're already seeing select grids here in Bellingham/Whatcom county get overloaded during extreme heat and cold times and throw "switches" (we saw a flash and sparks up on a pole near work-power went out-and that's what the PSE guy called it and said the grid was overloaded with everyones A/C cranking). I'm not feeling comfortable that we'll have reliable power in the near future for all these electric cars.
California's governor a few years back put a moratorium to shut down four nuclear plants but because of possible power grid problems and rolling black outs he has backed off.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/02/why-...ear-plant.html
I believe that a nation wide nuclear grid is the answer to the so called 'Green energy.' But environmentalists who rule the democratic party continues to balk.

You mentioned taking out damns...well here in Clallam county they took out two damn on the Elwha River to restore the salmon runs of past years. Not only did it not improve the salmon runs (it actually remains the same) and it cut off a dependable power/drinking water sources to the area.
https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...movals-success

Old 10-22-2022, 03:51 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
California's governor a few years back put a moratorium to shut down four nuclear plants but because of possible power grid problems and rolling black outs he has backed off.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/02/why-...ear-plant.html
I believe that a nation wide nuclear grid is the answer to the so called 'Green energy.' But environmentalists who rule the democratic party continues to balk.

You mentioned taking out damns...well here in Clallam county they took out two damn on the Elwha River to restore the salmon runs of past years. Not only did it not improve the salmon runs (it actually remains the same) and it cut off a dependable power/drinking water sources to the area.
https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...movals-success
Exactly. Somehow, I'm not looking forward to an electric car I'm mandated to have sitting in the driveway with no power to charge it, no computer for WFH (unless I use a genny but then it's likely the internet won't work anyway), and being forced to not have any natural gas in new construction just means everything will be electric and nothing will work when there is no power. Time to get candles and pile the dead trees high for the wood stove...

My workplace has supplied metals for many fish bypass projects(for dams), they do work in turning around the runs. Unfortunately, we have a seal and sea lion population in Puget Sound that is still federally protected yet is eating more salmon than all other consumer groups combined. I expect to eventually see the salmon runs and orca population collapse, and then the seal population will starve too as there won't be enough left for them to eat either.

Old 10-22-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Exactly. Somehow, I'm not looking forward to an electric car I'm mandated to have sitting in the driveway with no power to charge it, no computer for WFH (unless I use a genny but then it's likely the internet won't work anyway), and being forced to not have any natural gas in new construction just means everything will be electric and nothing will work when there is no power. Time to get candles and pile the dead trees high for the wood stove...
EV will turn a 6-8 trip from Seattle into a 16-18 trip or longer when an EV has to stop to recharge.....hoping the battery does catch on fire....$20K-28K for a new battery. For an older EV that cost would be more than the original EV price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington