Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:14 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No you are not breaking the mold. Seniorish that leans right and "may" vote to support the school bonds if they could vote? That's not breaking the mold at all.

I posted the link because the link included the comments of Sequim locals. And pointing to the state funding issues ignores the repeated failure of locals to support funding themselves. The state funding is an issue but what this whole thread is about is OP town comparisons. If a younger family with kids were making a determination on Sequim, the lack of local support for school bonds is definitely something to consider, especially when there are other towns close by, such as Port Townsend, that do pass their school bonds.

There are probably other sources for comments from locals on why the school bonds in Sequim aren't passing but those are readily available. Not only do many not support it, they are angry that it was brought up again after they already said no.
Wanted to end our back and forthing on a positive note. I agree with your comment in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Seniors can get 'Tax relief' from voted measures (including school),

51% of my $44/day WA property tax burden goes to failed WA schools... Been that way for more than my 36 yrs of paying WA property taxes.

Thus... We homeschooled, and donated a hundred thousand bucks & 16 hrs / week to the unfortunate students stuck in the crummy WA PS system. Poor babies... Its a shame! (Actually.... A Tragedy for students and taxpayers). But hey.... It is Great for teachers and incompetent administrators... Sweet Deal! Creat a strong union and lobby, and PROTECT it. The heck with edu... Take the money and RUN!

I expect PT and PA have the numbers to make it a BIG win for 'educators' (?)....sounds smart to me!
Unfortunately our public school system in WI bears the scars of this as well. My sister works in the Human Resources department of one of our local public school systems. That gives her a very unique perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Seniors can get 'Tax relief' from voted measures (including school),
Only if a senior has a low enough income to qualify. Which most seniors in Sequim and Port Townsend don't.

Quote:
51% of my $44/day WA property tax burden goes to failed WA schools... Been that way for more than my 36 yrs of paying WA property taxes.
The only failed/failing schools I know of are in the liberal big cities. I know of no school system on the Pennsula that is even close of failing...even on the Indian reservations.

Quote:
Thus... We homeschooled, and donated a hundred thousand bucks & 16 hrs / week to the unfortunate students stuck in the crummy WA PS system. Poor babies... Its a shame! (Actually.... A Tragedy for students and taxpayers). But hey.... It is Great for teachers and incompetent administrators... Sweet Deal! Creat a strong union and lobby, and PROTECT it. The heck with edu... Take the money and RUN!
Wow...100K, donate! You must be one of the 1%. You make me laugh at that comment.

But you do have a point about the teachers, especially the teacher's union who fight tooth and nail against private/charter school.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:00 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Teachers in PT, and supposedly other WA towns, only work half a day on Wednesdays. WTF? Allegedly, they need it to catch up on their paperwork. Hello, they can't do that without shorting the students of class time? Never heard of such a thing before.

My parents both worked as teachers. They caught up on their papers after class. It's not like teachers teach for 8 hrs a day. And they get every holiday off that exists, plus the whole summer plus spring break. Sheesh.

Oh, wait...it is the fault of the school building why students don't excel. Yeah, has nothing to do with teachers or parents, or (shhhhhh, can't say this out loud) the students themselves. Yeah, it's the buildings, always.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 PM
mev

154 posts, read 295,765 times
[quote=pikabike;43766372]Teachers in PT, and supposedly other WA towns, only work half a day on Wednesdays. WTF? Allegedly, they need it to catch up on their paperwork. Hello, they can't do that without shorting the students of class time? Never heard of such a thing before.

The students get out 2 hours early once a week so teachers can meet together and collaborate on their teaching. It's called early release and other schools do late start for the same reason. It's been around for years.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:33 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Oh, yeah, students in Sequim definitely need new band & choir rooms, & an updated kitchen for school lunches, to succeed...

Old 04-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Teachers in PT, and supposedly other WA towns, only work half a day on Wednesdays. WTF? Allegedly, they need it to catch up on their paperwork. Hello, they can't do that without shorting the students of class time? Never heard of such a thing before.

My parents both worked as teachers. They caught up on their papers after class. It's not like teachers teach for 8 hrs a day. And they get every holiday off that exists, plus the whole summer plus spring break. Sheesh.

Oh, wait...it is the fault of the school building why students don't excel. Yeah, has nothing to do with teachers or parents, or (shhhhhh, can't say this out loud) the students themselves. Yeah, it's the buildings, always.
Oh please give it a break! I don't know about other Washington schools but the only 'down time' in the Sequim school district is a one hour late start on Monday. And I am almost positive that teachers have at least one free class period to do their grading.
Your ranting and raving about school buildings is falling on death ears.
Would you work for a company that left their bathroom facilities backed up or tiles falling off the ceilings?

Here is a news article from the PDN...

Quote:
Five Clallam County schools, one for the third consecutive year and another for the fourth, have been recognized by the state for progress in education.

Neah Bay Elementary School — which has received the award for four years — Greywolf Elementary in Carlsborg — in its third year — and Port Angeles School District's Franklin and Hamilton elementary schools and Stevens Middle School are among 285 schools in the state named to receive Washington Achievement Awards for 2015.
None in Jefferson County were on the list.

Please note that Greywolf is in the Sequim school district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Oh, yeah, students in Sequim definitely need new band & choir rooms, & an updated kitchen for school lunches, to succeed...
I don't where to start with this above ^^^post...it is off the charts.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Oh please give it a break! I don't know about other Washington schools but the only 'down time' in the Sequim school district is a one hour late start on Monday. And I am almost positive that teachers have at least one free class period to do their grading.
Your ranting and raving about school buildings is falling on death ears.
Would you work for a company that left their bathroom facilities backed up or tiles falling off the ceilings?

Here is a news article from the PDN...

None in Jefferson County were on the list.

Please note that Greywolf is in the Sequim school district.

I don't where to start with this above ^^^post...it is off the charts.
Ranting and raving about school buildings? You must be talking about someone else, because my comments in the previous posts hardly constitute ranting about the buildings. It is a comment about classes being released at noon on Wednesdays, in PT.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev View Post
The students get out 2 hours early once a week so teachers can meet together and collaborate on their teaching. It's called early release and other schools do late start for the same reason. It's been around for years.
Two hours...wow! I don't which school district you are in but in Sequim that is not true...a Monday one hour late start is all the teachers and students get and yes that one hour late start has been around for years.
The state requires a minimum of 1080 hours teaching time and unless a school district wants to extend the school year the school district must comply. If a school district allow for a two hour once a week early release..then they must add days on to the end of the school years to comply with state law.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Ranting and raving about school buildings? You must be talking about someone else, because my comments in the previous posts hardly constitute ranting about the buildings. It is a comment about classes being released at noon on Wednesdays, in PT.
Sorry that was meant for MarciaMarshaMarcia.....

Old 04-20-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...maybe if the PT school district did more class room instruction on Wednesdays they could have made the list. Just a thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington