Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:59 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,748,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Sorry that was meant for MarciaMarshaMarcia.....
Apology accepted. I found out about the early release schedule from a local mother who wondered the same things that I did. The schedule might not bother stay-at-home moms/dads but it is an added burden on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,553,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Oh please give it a break! I don't know about other Washington schools but the only 'down time' in the Sequim school district is a one hour late start on Monday. And I am almost positive that teachers have at least one free class period to do their grading.
Your ranting and raving about school buildings is falling on death ears.
Would you work for a company that left their bathroom facilities backed up or tiles falling off the ceilings?

Here is a news article from the PDN...

None in Jefferson County were on the list.

Please note that Greywolf is in the Sequim school district.

I don't where to start with this above ^^^post...it is off the charts.
No rantiquity, it's not off the charts, these are items that were included in the proposed Sequim school bond package, & they are unnecessary and frivolous. Good grief!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Also, it's my understanding that this state does not have charter schools...if this is true, what is the stupidity behind that??

Old 04-20-2016, 04:04 PM

6,295 posts, read 3,447,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
No rantiquity, it's not off the charts, these are items that were included in the proposed Sequim school bond package, & they are unnecessary and frivolous. Good grief!
So what? The majority of people in Sequim voted four times for the schools! I'm guessing it was people like you that don't care about the future of our city/country. Was the no vote based on greed or 'I did my part' years ago...so blink off.
Do you really think things like music or a clean cafeteria are not part of a rounded education?
Do you know that Sequim resident pay more in property taxes for the fire department then educating our children...you know, like a ladder truck when the tallest building in Sequim is three stories, and most are only two. Now we can discuss unnecessary and frivolous....good grief!

Old 04-20-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Also, it's my understanding that this state does not have charter schools...if this is true, what is the stupidity behind that??
Democrats and the teacher union...The voters voted in 2012 to allow charter schools and the teacher's union took them to court to have it over turned. A new reworded bill that will pass the court muster is in the legislature but again the teacher's union PAC is trying to block it.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 AM

Rantiquity I am not intimidated by your rant. I do not live in Sequim but I know plenty who do & they do not want this forced upon them, over & over. More teaching, less unnecessary extras. Choir & band are luxuries in today's economy, the same with school meals...students can bring lunch, if necessary. I have seen too many kids throw their government-funded breakfasts/lunches on the ground. How about more time/focus on college readiness, or even the ability to spell, do basic algebra, or put a sentence together?? And as I stated before, I worked in Sequim schools, so I saw firsthand the quality of facilities that are available, & they are acceptable. Answer as you please, I am done responding to you.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 04-21-2016 at 01:30 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM

Thank you for being finished...I thought it would never end. And thank you whole heartily for not living in Sequim.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,748,787 times
Rantiquity, I have heard PT parents explicitly say they wish the schools would emphasize exactly the basics that Marcia described. To the point that they pulled their kids out of the city's schools, at great inconvenience and, undoubtedly, expense.

Having enjoyed classes and activities in addition to the basics long ago in my own childhood public schools--which were pretty average-- I appreciate those other things. However, when there isn't enough money to go around for everything, something has to be made lower priority. I don't think it should be the "three Rs."

Old 04-21-2016, 03:33 PM

467 posts, read 529,963 times
I may have overlooked something in this thread, but Washington State does indeed have charter schools.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM

436 posts, read 572,637 times
So now we have established that there is some sort of rivalry between Sequim, Port Townsend and Port Angeles. This was enlightening considering I am planning to move into one of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington