Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 04:14 PM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Any place on a river can flood. Not because of climate change or sea level rise, but because that's what rivers do: Rivers receive and drain excess water. The good news in Western WA is it is often not far to a hill, out of the flood plain.

Can I point out something that I think is important?

If most of the houses on the hill are very old, perhaps it is not as prone to landslides as you fear.

I would certainly never discourage you from hiring an engineer to assess any particular lot, I would not necessarily trust some website that is applying generic risk factors.
Believe that was a fed gov website. There are two good streets. The other issue with Astoria is with sea level rise you could lose access.

I'm going to have to stay put in the Tualatin Valley at 230 feet above sea level and out of the tree line inside a 3% mtgg with a territorial view for the rest of my life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 06:57 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Astoria has landsides with the steep cliffs. In fact, there is one there right now crews are cleaning up.

Crews work to clean up landslide that closed highway near Astoria

It's at least good to be aware of these things prior to considering a move. Although I doubt the little town even comes close to the long list of MUST HAVES + NICE TO HAVES. I would be surprised if it even has half. Then for that low price, it would be off the table anyway. I think it's too remote similar other places the OP visited on the Olympic Penn even more than Poulsbo. Portland is ~ 2 hours. So, its not the most convenient if you can't make due with 'limited' small town amenities. I guess you could drive over to the WA side for some things in Longview which is only ~ an hour. Still, its not all that.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-02-2022 at 07:21 PM..

Old 12-02-2022, 07:11 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Believe that was a fed gov website. There are two good streets. The other issue with Astoria is with sea level rise you could lose access.

I'm going to have to stay put in the Tualatin Valley at 230 feet above sea level and out of the tree line inside a 3% mtgg with a territorial view for the rest of my life...

Fair enough! We all have our own comfort levels with the risks of life. I love our tall trees, but after living through several storms and seeing what can happen, I did log the property of all the trees that could hit me. I get wanting to control risks.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-02-2022 at 07:20 PM..

Old 12-02-2022, 07:15 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Astoria has landsides with the steep cliffs. In fact, there is one there right now crews are cleaning up.

It's at least good to be aware of these things prior to considering a move. Although I doubt the little town even comes close to the long list of MUST HAVES + NICE TO HAVES. I would be surprised if it even has half. Then for that low price, it would be off the table anyway. I think it's too remote similar other places the OP visited on the Olympic Penn even more than Poulsbo. Portland is ~ 2 hours. So, its not the most convenient if you can't make due with 'limited' small town amenities. I guess you could drive over to the WA side for some things in Longview which is only ~ an hour. Still, its not all that.

Derek
Derek

I get that steep hills move. Gravity is a powerful force. ...But the existence of many very old homes on particular hills does indicate some history of stability in those areas, doesn't it? That was my supposition.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,187 times
Quote:
jmeecakes,

We moved here from the Monterey Bay and it has quite a few of those things including redwoods nearby and the ocean. The art scene is huge there along with music festivals, etc... Biking is excellent with dedicated trails right along the ocean for miles. Multiple colleges right there and a marine life sanctuary. But prices are out of this world high!

What you have described is like a dream like location for the artsy (Hippy/Artsy/Creative scene/ active theatre), nature lover (more green, hiking, biking, near the water) who wants a thriving, vibrant community (welcoming to outsiders, perhaps?), not too big nor too expensive with a community college close by, etc... But not as grungy and drugged out as Humboldt.

Honestly, you described the best parts of certain cities throughout CA (Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel), CO (Aspen, Boulder), OR (Bend, Corvallis, Ashland), WA (Bellingham, maybe Olympia?). It's something someone dreams about and makes Hallmark movies of. In other words, it doesn't really exist with all of those attributes especially at lower prices. But even if money were no object, that ideal place doesn't really exist. Its more a matter of degrees depending on 'gotta haves.' You will need to make some concessions ultimately. Some of them may be bigger than you are willing to accept which you've discovered already in part through visiting parts of the OP.

Nowhere will have all of that and there will be an underbelly of 'not so greats' - the cons. You need to be brutally honest and learn about the cons as well. Gotta take off the rose colored glasses. Otherwise, you'll be in for a big surprise! For example, it may be more unwelcoming to outsiders or simply just artificially friendly. The art scene is lacking big time beyond a few local tourist shops, maybe a gallery. The biking may suck. The roads up here are terrible in many parts for biking, some without a shoulder even in the larger cities. Lots of drunk or 'out of it' drivers in monster trucks roaring down too narrow roads. My son likes to road bike and its scary out there. Places for your partner to work without dealing with customers? Sounds like he needs a WFH job like you but not interfacing with clients... There are lots of introverts up here who move from all over the country and world. Many like to keep to themselves and their own. Ever heard of the Seattle freeze? Don't take it personally. But coming from CA, its a different cultural scene just like living in the south is different and so on. That will take some time adjusting to and if an introvert, it may be harder to break through that local community. The artsy part will be harder to find near a college without spending an arm and a leg. Take a look at Ashland and Bend, OR. They aren't cheap either and you'll need to find a fixer upper. Same with BHam. Just gotta be real about it before considering making a big move.

Derek
Yep - I’m aware these are the IDEALS and not hidden in some Atlantis island location that people are just keeping a secret. Honestly I’m mostly trying to find the type of people/community I need; and the rest will make do. I don’t mind a fixer upper but you know there’s a limit to how much one can sacrifice. Mainly, I’ve been living in a beautiful but very small, very isolated, very conservative and very retired community for the last 4 years and I’m desperate for some kind of culture. A movie theater would be nice. I’m fairly pragmatic about the rest. And thank you for your thoughts everyone. Reading and absorbing them all.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's Sandpoint, Idaho, he's talking about, OP. Utterly breathtaking scenery! I don't know if it's artsy. Would be worth a visit to explore, though. ID winters are snowy, though, especially northern ID. But snow means--good water supply. It won't run out of water in your lifetime, probably.

OP, I only suggested Eureka, because it's one of the cheaper locations in Humboldt, AND it's starting to improve. People are moving there for retirement and also as a WFH location. But as you know, there are other towns in the area, that aren't as "downhill" as Eureka, as you described it, that are very affordable: Fortuna and Ferndale, to name a couple. A little more upscale is McKinleyville, which has been growing fast.

And more generally in Humboldt, the drug scene has been changing; weed farms have been sold, and new people coming in, who are interested in organic farming, organic dairy, are buying them up.

But ok, I guess I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I'll leave it at that.
We spent a week in Trinidad just last December and agree with all you’re saying. It’s changed a lot and parts of older downtown Eureka are great and thriving. Of course my dream home would be in Trinidad but that’s like, expensive for a good reason. McKinleyville felt way too suburban for me now. Back in college (1998) it was a rambling tumbleweed hick town. It’s not completely ruled out but the overall vibe still felt like a generation away from losing that “hippy burnout” feeling. Hard to put it into words. A piece of my heart will always be there but it’s also another universe entirely and not one I’m sure quite fits the bill. I’m honestly looking for a place that I can immediately say; THIS. This is it. That chat with the coffee shop clerk or that mural and street exchange. I dunno. I really loved the vibe and story of Poulsbo but alas definitely priced out.

Perhaps I should also admit that the world overall is a general **** show. Perhaps we’re all just searching for our tribe in times of great fear, despair and economic uncertainty and general division and isolation. Perhaps I’m just looking for something mythical rather than a particular place.

But I digress…

Old 12-02-2022, 07:44 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeecakes View Post
Yep - I’m aware these are the IDEALS and not hidden in some Atlantis island location that people are just keeping a secret. Honestly I’m mostly trying to find the type of people/community I need; and the rest will make do. I don’t mind a fixer upper but you know there’s a limit to how much one can sacrifice. Mainly, I’ve been living in a beautiful but very small, very isolated, very conservative and very retired community for the last 4 years and I’m desperate for some kind of culture. A movie theater would be nice. I’m fairly pragmatic about the rest. And thank you for your thoughts everyone. Reading and absorbing them all.
Haha, yes, I had the feeling it was more of an expression of what would ideal. Given that you've lived throughout CA in Humboldt and the Bay Area along with the current small town, it gives you more perspective than a 20 something dreamer looking for that perfect utopian society on the coast or next to a lake/river - the Hallmark fantasy.

That said, there are places that come closer. And I'm glad you mentioned retired and conservative even thought its nice to stay apolitical in requests. The thing in, once outside most major cities WA becomes very conservative with other cultural aspects that may not be to your liking. May need a monster truck and mullet to fit in a little better. A gun rack wouldn't hurt either. lol

I would take a look at Bend and Ashland. Those may be better fits in general. Olympia cloud have some spots that work. Diana lives closer to there and would good to talk with about an artsy part.

Derek

Old 12-02-2022, 09:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeecakes View Post
Mainly, I’ve been living in a beautiful but very small, very isolated, very conservative and very retired community for the last 4 years and I’m desperate for some kind of culture. A movie theater would be nice. I’m fairly pragmatic about the rest. And thank you for your thoughts everyone. Reading and absorbing them all.
You might find what you're looking for in Mt. Vernon. It's got the historic Lincoln theater downtown and I think the movie theater at the old mall is still open for newer movies. McIntyre Hall will have plays, symphony, the Nutcracker etc. Skagit County voted two Democrats to the state legislature last month (District 10), though the county is historically conservative. It's about a half hour from Bellingham.

There's a nice community college there and Burlington (north) has a large retail area and medical clinics. Mt. Vernon looks kind of grungy and has I5 and train tracks through the middle, but nothing's perfect. It's not cute like Poulsbo but more of a gritty old town on the river that has a good community and some cool stuff like the food coop, farmers market in summer and art supply store downtown. There's a mural and some art in the downtown area, and a riverwalk.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:47 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,226,479 times
I love Mt. Vernon! Totally agree with this one. That’s where I’d be trying to land if I left the seattle core.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:45 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:

This isn't relevant to the discussion of residential areas being at risk of landslides, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington