Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 12:12 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Remember this was more than a decade ago, with today's woke judges I suspect car theft is no longer considered a major crime.

BTW...the crime wave is statewide, not just western Washington and Seattle.

BTW...I live in a very nice neighborhood, with million dollar new homes filled with refugee's from Seattle.

Now you know how women feel when they are raped.
Lots of contradictory statements here, let alone the blatant politicizing of crime, which you admit is a statewide issue (let alone a nationwide problem).

I'm not going to entertain the silly notion that property theft is equivalent to violent crime (because it's absurd and a needless distraction) but the OP was asking if Western WA had issues with property crime at trailheads, in very specific terms, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to chime in, given you don't live in any of the areas mentioned.

Also, if you really live in a "very nice" neighborhood with "million dollar homes filled with...refugees from Seattle", maybe you should ask them if they have homeowner's insurance and a home security system. I'm willing to bet they have both because, well... duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 10:09 PM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Many of the cities have a police blotter or a crime map on their website. Looking at the one in Bremerton, one would probably decide to move elsewhere.

https://bremerton.maps.arcgis.com/ap...1ca3cd673c156b
Some LE also contract with Lexis Nexis

Old 03-21-2023, 11:33 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Washington state just slid into 3rd place for auto thefts, 2nd place on a per capita basis.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Lots of contradictory statements here, let alone the blatant politicizing of crime, which you admit is a statewide issue (let alone a nationwide problem).

I'm not going to entertain the silly notion that property theft is equivalent to violent crime (because it's absurd and a needless distraction) but the OP was asking if Western WA had issues with property crime at trailheads, in very specific terms, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to chime in, given you don't live in any of the areas mentioned.

Also, if you really live in a "very nice" neighborhood with "million dollar homes filled with...refugees from Seattle", maybe you should ask them if they have homeowner's insurance and a home security system. I'm willing to bet they have both because, well... duh.
Yes...I will admit to "blatant politicizing of crime".

I don't want to live in a society where I HAVE TO LOCK MY HOUSE AND TRUCK. What part of that do you NOT UNDERSTAND??

NO, I don't want to buy a security system. I want a society that respects my property and my life. You don't have a right to my property, UNEVEN IF IT IS UNLOCKED.

NO, I understand liberals think that guns cause crime, that cars cause crime....but I believe it is people that cause crime.

AND I want them removed from civil society. Look 45 years, never locked my house or car.

And YOU think it is my fault. Cut me a break.

Enough is enough. Yes, I voted to get rid of the Chelan County Sheriff on this issue. It is time to move on and remove the Governor and members of the state legislature.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
I am not sure what LaLa land some people think exists outside of Washington state. I live in crimson red Tennessee and our Next Door page is full of reports of thefts from cars at local parks/greenways. I am leery of parking at trailheads except at times I know will have a lot of people coming and going. I won't drive my car and park anywhere that isn't very busy because I have a Prius and catalytic converter theft is rampant. People are cautioned over and over not to leave valuables in their cars and, if a woman, not to try to hide a purse. I am always careful to be conspicuous about carrying some kind of bag when I leave my car in case someone is watching. This is Tennessee.....and I live outside of Knoxville in a red area. Our state legislature is one of the most extreme Republican state governments in the country. And we have crime.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:13 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Yes...I will admit to "blatant politicizing of crime".

I don't want to live in a society where I HAVE TO LOCK MY HOUSE AND TRUCK. What part of that do you NOT UNDERSTAND??

NO, I don't want to buy a security system. I want a society that respects my property and my life. You don't have a right to my property, UNEVEN IF IT IS UNLOCKED.

NO, I understand liberals think that guns cause crime, that cars cause crime....but I believe it is people that cause crime.

AND I want them removed from civil society. Look 45 years, never locked my house or car.

And YOU think it is my fault. Cut me a break.

Enough is enough. Yes, I voted to get rid of the Chelan County Sheriff on this issue. It is time to move on and remove the Governor and members of the state legislature.
You don't live in Western WA, so again, why are you chiming in and opining on matters that don't even pertain to you? You clearly thought you lived in a crime-fee bubble and yet you've been a victim of property crime TWICE, and seem offended at the mere suggestion of doing more to protect yourself. As someone coming from a much, much higher crime area, I still knew better than to forgo homeowner's insurance and a security system living in my relatively sleepy suburban neighborhood in unincorporated King County. There's an old saying: "You get what you pay for," and in this case, yeah, you got robbed twice and have no financial recourse.

I'm sorry you don't want to pay to protect your property in the form of insurance/surveillance, but that's exactly what they're both for: to protect you from opportunistic thieves and criminals. Do you not pay insurance on your vehicles? What would happen if you were to get into an accident, or God forbid, someone stole your car?

Also, it's pretty naive to think that voting out politicians who mostly work to serve their own interests, as opposed to their constituents, are going to suddenly make property crime vanish. Do you honestly think people go around committing property crime based on who's the governor of the state?

Old 03-24-2023, 12:45 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I am not sure what LaLa land some people think exists outside of Washington state. I live in crimson red Tennessee and our Next Door page is full of reports of thefts from cars at local parks/greenways. I am leery of parking at trailheads except at times I know will have a lot of people coming and going. I won't drive my car and park anywhere that isn't very busy because I have a Prius and catalytic converter theft is rampant. People are cautioned over and over not to leave valuables in their cars and, if a woman, not to try to hide a purse. I am always careful to be conspicuous about carrying some kind of bag when I leave my car in case someone is watching. This is Tennessee.....and I live outside of Knoxville in a red area. Our state legislature is one of the most extreme Republican state governments in the country. And we have crime.
Thanks for that bit of common sense, I can't believe how the American political divide has garnered so much traction to the extent that people are talking of moving to red states in hopes of living in some crime free paradise. Nextdoor definitely dispels those notions quickly enough. I have friends in Arizona, North Dakota, Montana, and Idaho, and most acknowledge the crime rate as something they are concerned about, and most know that homelessness and drug addiction are also rampant in their larger cities.

Old 03-24-2023, 02:34 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
We live in crimson red state of Utah - in an upper-end neighborhood. We have plenty of crime in our neighborhood. The Nextdoor app is full of daily reports of prowlers, car break-ins, parcel thefts and general vandalism. We had two break-ins in our condo building. One time, the cops could identify one of the perpetrators from the video surveillance material and the other time some residents caught a thief. The police too busy to come and collect the thief that was apprehended. And, they also did not want to pick up the gang that broke in for some reason (the gang had stayed on the parking levels and had not come into the residential area) and just break ins in the garage weren't serious enough. We got homelessness as well. The legislature pushed them out where they were concentrated without any place to go. So, they are now everywhere but hidden - and we have increased wildfire risk coming from that.

So, there are problems everywhere - maybe as we like fixing things half-way with duct tape . I am not able to say where it is worse. We are personally on the liberal end but don't condone crime or criminals or panhandling and don't welcome crime any more than anyone else. The venom directed at liberals in some of the posts above is uncalled for. It is interesting that the poster 509 says that "liberals think that guns cause crime, that cars cause crime....but I believe it is people that cause crime" while suggesting that liberals cause crime and not the people who commit them.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:25 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I think the frustration becomes political when people feel that the crimes aren't being prosecuted.

I think we all expect there to be some crime in the modern world, but we also expect that when thieves are caught, they will go to jail! We don't want to think they will just be let out to steal again. I feel good about our local Sheriff! He's newly elected and doing a great job. But when state law won't allow them to pursue, or they arrest and the prosecutors won't charge, that's where we hope politics, and electing the right people, becomes important to more people!

Old 03-24-2023, 09:30 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
You are awfully kind. Frustration is a nice euphuism for apoplexy evidenced in the writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington